• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Kyle M's Ranger Rebuild

Kyle M.

GOING FOR BROKE
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Kyle M's Ranger Truggy, Rebuilt again - Version 4

Well, some of you may know already, but last week I hit a tree with my truck, pretty much ruined the frame.

So at that point it was time to come up with a new plan. I have already been wanting to do a SAS with my EB D44 so I figure there is no better time than now.

So the hunt began for a new "parts" truck that I could use the frame, front clip and a few other parts from. I decided I wanted to shorten my wheel base so I started looking for a regular cab truck. With just under a week of looking I found this beauty, a 93 4 poper flatbed

She's cute huh? Good shape in all the right spots. Runs like a top, drove it home and I only gave $450 for it....gonna part it out to get some of my money back.

So the plan is to use that frame, use my X cab and that front clip. As far as the bed goes, maybe a bob, maybe a truggy:dunno: All my motor and trans are going on the 2wd frame....should be a fun truck.

Anyways, on for the progress, got my 44 in the garage and started the tear down

Then I started to order SAS parts....got a set of Fox 16" air shocks coming, a few heims, picked up my 2" OD X.250 tube to extend the radius arms and some 1.250" OD X.250 tube from my track bar and drag link. Ordered some 4.88 gears today and some 7* radius arm bushings. I am going to go a pick up my disk brake set up for my 44 sometime soon too. I got lots of work to do!

Here are some pictures of the my smashed truck...i miss it already!

Well, there it is, I will update as I do things. Any advice or input is appreciated, good or bad. Thanks!

Last edited:

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
got a lot ahead of you

lepp1892

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Looks like its going to be a pretty sweet build though... I can't wait to see it done... I am definitely subscribing to the build!!!

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is going to be awesome.

Def. mock up the axle and see where thing sit before you start adding angle to the rad arms. I forgot you've got a LP EB D44 (how's that for abbreviations lol). Mine's a HP D44.

Andres629

Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Transmission
Automatic
Ooooooh-eee! Solid axle is going to look good under there, what with the super short wheelbase and all. I figured you were just going to throw your box on and keep the cab regular cab, but hey, going to be a little different, and awesome!

P.S.- Got extended rad. arms on your x cab?

Kyle M.

GOING FOR BROKE
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok! I will, LOL

This is going to be awesome.

Def. mock up the axle and see where thing sit before you start adding angle to the rad arms. I forgot you've got a LP EB D44 (how's that for abbreviations lol). Mine's a HP D44.
Alright, I will try and leave it all unwelded, make I can build in some correction. I really appreciate all the help getting me to this point!

Ooooooh-eee! Solid axle is going to look good under there, what with the super short wheelbase and all. I figured you were just going to throw your box on and keep the cab regular cab, but hey, going to be a little different, and awesome!

P.S.- Got extended rad. arms on your x cab?
No extended arms, but I will have lots of good parts to get rid of...I just got done putting in all new 760X joints, new ball joints, brakes, got a few spare shafts, newer springs, 3 sets......shoulda just did the 44 first

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
mount your bed on her, she should fit with exta play room for a larger bumper =P

I wish trucks like that were going that cheap here, its hard enough to find a junker for under 700!

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
gunna be nice....ive been tempted to throw a ex-cab on mine

Kyle M.

GOING FOR BROKE
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
mount your bed on her, she should fit with exta play room for a larger bumper =P

I wish trucks like that were going that cheap here, its hard enough to find a junker for under 700!
And keep the standard cab? I gotta have my X cab (so my kids can ride with me) and with the shorter wheel base the box wont fit without some major mods. It would be easy if I just did that though!

I was out doing some measuring, Looks like I am going to have to run a body lift to clear the diffences in frame or I have to clear the body to fit the frame.....what should I do? No sure how much yet, but I really didn't want to run a body lift.

Last edited:

4x4b2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l v6
Transmission
Manual
sweet build, sorry bout the truck, i am defineeetally subbing. whats the link to the original build thread to the green truck?

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So the new rig is a shortbed, and you wanna put your ex-cab on it? And there's issues with the frame fitting the ex-cab?

Where's the interference, and how much? The amount of body lift required would probably be the driving factor in whether I hack up the cab to fit the frame.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I think there was something said about that Bray. But can't find it.

I do know the frame humps up after the cab. This could cause clearance issues. How much?.....brb...

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
It's close to an 8" rise....wow. Cab mods for sure, but a 3" BL on the front most body mounts will help.

Some thing is gonna have to happen for the back mounts to work.

Kyle M.

GOING FOR BROKE
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, I know it looks like a lot, not sure yet what I am going to do with it.(thanks for looking BTW) I do not want a 3" body lift, that last 2" I had was too much. I will do some 'floor work' to bring it down, but I will know better when I get the cab on the frame. I want my truck to be low and flexy, I didn't like how tall the last one was once I really started wheeling it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals