• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

KYB shocks . . .

billpac4u

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm needing new shocks. KYB's have been recommended to me by a friend. Anyone have experience with these?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I had a set of KYB gasmatics and I like them a lot. I switched to a set of Napa brand when I broke the KYBs trying to take them off and was extremely disappointed with those by comparison.

There was a spot near my house where the road had been torn up to service a drain pipe and patched poorly. With the KYBs the truck would glide over the spot really smoothly. With the Napa brand it was like running into a curb.

I have a set of Monroe OESpecturms now and they are comparable to the KYBs

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I like the Gas-A-Just KYB shocks but I prefer Bilstein. I ran the KYB shocks on a 73 FJ55 Landcruiser for many years and was very happy with them. I also have them on a 69 Fairlane Cobra because Bilstein doesn't make them for that application.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I have a pair of KYB Gas-A-Just shocks on the front of my Ranger... They are probably 20 years old now (though that's with only about 60K miles on them). They still seem fine.

I used Bilsteins also... They do ride a little bit smoother than the KYB, but either one should do most people well. IMO the KYB is probably the better value being barely over half the cost of a Bilstein.

billpac4u

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks . . .

for the feedback! KYB it is!

0ldman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How do the KYB compare to stock 4wd shocks?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
KYB is firmer, more control.

0ldman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Are they less rough?

My shocks on my 98 are still good, but that truck is stiff as hell. Hitting a bump on the road at speed makes the rear bounce. It has ever since it was new when my father in law bought it. I just bought it from him and I'm looking for something with a little more forgiveness of less than perfect roads.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
That is pretty typical.
Your rear suspension is purposely built stiffer because it's designed to carry a heavy load, but if there's no load in it, it's going to bounce around more and be rougher. Different shocks could help somewhat with this though it likely won't smooth it out near as much as throwing a couple hundred lbs back there (sandbags, etc.) against the tailgate would.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Are they less rough?

My shocks on my 98 are still good, but that truck is stiff as hell. Hitting a bump on the road at speed makes the rear bounce. It has ever since it was new when my father in law bought it. I just bought it from him and I'm looking for something with a little more forgiveness of less than perfect roads.
Why do you expect an unloaded pickup truck to ride like a car with independent rear suspension?

0ldman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Don't put words in my mouth.

I've had several trucks. The 98 ride is much stiffer and depending on the bump is bordering on unsafe. A moderately damaged part of the road in a very slight curve going 45mph will cause the wheels to come off the ground and bounce. My 88 didn't do this, my 74 F100 doesn't do this. My dad's 74 GMC nor his 2009 Silverado 4wd do this. It is almost like the shocks are worn out, like they don't compress, but it has always been like this. My father in law drove it like an old man, so it wasn't an issue for him. I'm actually taking it off road on occasion and it is much rougher off road than my 88 was. The suspension would actually move on the 88. It doesn't have nearly as much travel on the 98 even though the suspension itself actually has nearly twice the travel in the design.

When a Generic Motors 4wd has softer suspension something just doesn't seem right.

Last edited:

0ldman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That is pretty typical.
Your rear suspension is purposely built stiffer because it's designed to carry a heavy load, but if there's no load in it, it's going to bounce around more and be rougher. Different shocks could help somewhat with this though it likely won't smooth it out near as much as throwing a couple hundred lbs back there (sandbags, etc.) against the tailgate would.
The suspension on this truck is stiff enough that if I did anything even remotely *close* to your profile pic at least one tire would be off the ground.

I'm going to pull up my papers and see if it has any kind of a non-standard suspension package.

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Did your FIL put add-a-leafs or some other load-handling device on it?

If not, then it sounds to me like maybe the shocks are infact shot. They are close to 20 years old, and unlike some aftermarket shocks, they tend to be shorter-lived (a buddy's Ranger that was 6 years old when he bought it, the stock Motorcraft shocks that were on it were already toast).

0ldman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Did your FIL put add-a-leafs or some other load-handling device on it?

If not, then it sounds to me like maybe the shocks are infact shot. They are close to 20 years old, and unlike some aftermarket shocks, they tend to be shorter-lived (a buddy's Ranger that was 6 years old when he bought it, the stock Motorcraft shocks that were on it were already toast).
Nah, it's pretty much been like this since new. Rides stiff as hell. It feels like it has the suspension for a much heavier truck.

I'm replacing the shocks anyway, good or bad. I'm not as young as I used to be. lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals