• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Koda's custom case thread : Dell Insperon 530S.

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've been wanting to customize the case on my Dell for quite some time. It's a nice little computer, but it's ugly. I even squished a fly on it and was too lazy to clean it off while I was taking this picture.

At first I was just going to tear into it and leave about an inch around the metal, glue some plexi to it, add some vent holes, put in a few LED's, and call it done. But now that I get looking at it that isn't possible. Here's why.

If you can't tell why from that picture, it's because there is a very limited amount of open space left to show off the internals. This is obviously because it is the slim version of the 530, and has a vertical disk drive/less room for components/etc.

I'll be throwing up some ideas on the design and mostly using this thread to organize them and look around at the possibilities. Feel free to comment with any suggestions you might have.

willied

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V8
Transmission
Automatic
Put NOS in it!

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
First off take off the CPU fan and clean all that dust on the heat sink. If your computer is slow cleaning that will make it run better and alot cooler. With all that dust your CPU is running hotter since it does not have proper cooling.
I know, I'm going to clean it tomorrow when I'm more awake. It's past 1am here and I can barely function to mock up how I want my case to look.. or close to it. So far the computers stock, but eventually I'll upgrade it a tad. It runs fine right now, surprisingly.

I'm at something like this right now.. still adjusting. I want to etch a design of a bear into it. Not too sure of what I want just yet though.

The corners on the front will be rounded to match the design of the case, I want this to flow nicely. Obviously I'll have to drill some holes for ventilation, and allow about an inch of the metal to stay on so I can have it connect easy to the case.. I'll have a more detailed version ready in a few.

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hmm.. three words.. Spetsnaz Guard Brigade.

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well, this is as far as I'm going to get on this tonight. I'm gonna pass out if I don't get some sleep soon.

I'll probably play around with the font a bit, and I want to add arms to the bear. Just can't get them right at the moment. It's the look I wanted too, got it as close to the emblem as I could.

If worst comes to worst, I'll get it done up as a sticker or vinyl or something with BEAR SLAYER in the top instead of the Russian. I'd much rather do the etched design though. Also, I don't know what the hell I was thinking with the LED idea.. much easier just to throw in a cold cathode. I'm thinking red/orange. Should look something like this..

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Oh, and I'm going to find a way to put a bunch of them cold cathodes in my truck. Mmmmmm..

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Why not get a new case completely? All of your parts should transfer over to a new case.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Why not get a new case completely? All of your parts should transfer over to a new case.
Because that costs money. :icon_twisted:

I used the same AT "super" tower that my dad bought me in '92 until up to '07. Just kept retro-fitting newer used components, that case was massive and heavy. Had a tractor ignition switch to turn it on at one point, even a Gen-1 grill emblem made it as a power switch. Everyone made fun of that thing, but it worked.

Pete

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Because that costs money. :icon_twisted:
For the cost of parts to modify that case, you can buy a new case. You can pick up a new case anywhere from $30-$100.

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
For the cost of parts to modify that case, you can buy a new case. You can pick up a new case anywhere from $30-$100.
Yes, but I have plexiglass laying around.. so the only cost will be the lighting, which will cost around $5. Also, owning something that you modified yourself gives a sense of pride.

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I would buy a new case with better air flow and modify it, but that is me.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Mee too...I've had it with trying to customize things...but when you're young and ambitious...who knows...maybe he'll come up with a design that makes him filthy wealthy and he will share with his brothers and sisters on TRS...

Or...maybe he will come up with pics of duct tape, scratched plexiglass, and a light system that fries his power supply...only time will tell...:)

brandonwh64

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302CI V-8
Transmission
Automatic
you can get side panel windows kits pretty cheap! or find a case on newegg.com that is cheap and its free shipping like a Raidmax or xion

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Or...maybe he will come up with pics of duct tape, scratched plexiglass, and a light system that fries his power supply...only time will tell...:)
No worries. I'm leaving the lip edge on the origional metal so that it can attach to the case the same way it did before. I'd use gorrilla tape anyway.

Scratched plexy wouldn't matter either, it's getting frosted. And any work with the lighting will be done by my cousin, aka a professional.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals