• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

koa's 93 ranger build

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
You sayin it was that much of a pain makes me not want to do mine! I've been wanting to pull mine apart and paint them since I put them on. Figure I oughta just do the axel at the same time.
Your axel looks good. Someone a few years back at a 4wd run said they like to put a little grease between the leafs to reduce friction and that gave them a little more flex. Idk how true it is but it kinda makes sense.

koa's93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
You sayin it was that much of a pain makes me not want to do mine! I've been wanting to pull mine apart and paint them since I put them on. Figure I oughta just do the axel at the same time.
Your axel looks good. Someone a few years back at a 4wd run said they like to put a little grease between the leafs to reduce friction and that gave them a little more flex. Idk how true it is but it kinda makes sense.
It was painfully long and and annoying. But it could be the fact that my leafs were extremely gunked up with dirt and grime or it could be my OCD tendencies that makes sure every inch was shiny. Eyelets were the worst. If yours are rusted...have fun with that. I'm just glad it was only a 4 leaf pack.

As for the friction, I spent a few days tryin to find the best solution to lubricate the leafs to stop squeaks and allow more flex, and found this

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/spring-liners-soother-ride-t207334.html

Skip the boring stuff and go to the bottom where he used the Teflon liners. That's what I did. Hope it works

Last edited:

koa's93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I would not recommend using grease. I thought about it, till someone told me how much dirt and mud will attract and make the leafs looks worst than they already do, makes the purpose of cleaning up your leafs pointless. Makes sense. If you don't do the Teflon liners, go with graphite lubricant spray paint.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Correction: I've never heard of graphite spray paint. I've heard of graphite spray lubricant but not a paint.

Last edited:

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Oh ok I gotchya. I didn't know if there was some cool new goody I could over use.

koa's93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
So it seems like I spend most of my free time drinking while watching paint dry.

Now I'm ready to finally reassemble all this crap that's been sitting on my work bench for wayyy too long.

Also finally had a somewhat warm day (50deg.) so I could stand being out side soaked in water while I scrub the black paint off my rims. That paint stripper works wonders.

Now I can hide from the cold and finish the rest of my work in the garage. Need to assemble the axle internals and bolt everything up and I'm ready for tires

Last edited:

koa's93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Been a while since my last update. Been very busy with moving into my new place. Plus I picked up a new hobby of shooting clays on the weekends.

But anyway, after months of waiting for the right deal to come along, it finally happened. I got these bad boys for $100 a piece. Close out sale from my job. I have a 5th matching spare not pictured.

Today I polish my wheels and mount these bad boys and order my tie rod setup. The final pieces have been painted and now I can install the rotors and hubs and bolt up the axle for the last time

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
That's a damn good deal!!!

koa's93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Ya they're not my tire of choice, but for that price, who cares. Still keeping an eye open for a good deal on swampers

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Yeah those are a pretty stiff wall tire. Save those for street tires and get you some swampers for wheeling!

koa's93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Yeah those are a pretty stiff wall tire. Save those for street tires and get you some swampers for wheeling!
Exactly my plan. I already got another set of rims in the garage waiting for the swampers

koa's93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I know it's been like a year since I did any work on the truck worth mentioning. Had other things going on. Finally took some time to go visit my truck and I got it on all 4s. Few things to button up and I can start driving it. Need to drive it to the shop to have lockers and driveshaft installed to have it trail ready. Rear tires are just temporary. My rear tires aren't mounted yet.

Ford78

December 2012 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Manual
Looking good! Glade u got working on the ranger again, thought u forgot about us on here and hurry up and get us some trail shots!

koa's93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Thanks. Ya I ended up moving far away from my truck with no space to take it with me. Haven't seen it in months

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals