• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

koa's 93 ranger build

koa's93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Today's progress.

Got the frame mostly boxed in. Cut and ground around each crevis just perfectly. I even took a Dremmel to it, damn OCD. Left the front end extended because I'm not completely sure of my leaf choice and this leaves me room to play with (still trying to make a Chevy 56" work and move axle forward 3"). And the cross member isn't final, obviously. Still gotta cut it to the correct width and fab my hangers, but it gives you an idea. Gonna box in the front of the frame after its all done and build my bumper off of that.

Last edited:

koa's93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Also designed this in google sketchup.

As you can see, my hangers are 4x4 1/4" tubing because I'm not sure if I can use the 3" wide leafs I already have. If I end up using 2.5" leafs, I will weld in 1/4" spacers. Also, the outer edge of my hanger also acts as a cap for my crossmember and should give it a little extra lateral stability. I did not add in the gussets on the inner part of the hanger yet or show the fancy smooth rounding around the leaf spring bolt, but you get the idea.

koa's93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I just found this :) I swear, I didn't steal this guys idea. But look, bronco guys have the same design as me. They even used 4x4 1/4" tubing.

Ford78

December 2012 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Manual
You doing some nice work their buddy!

Ford78

December 2012 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Manual
My front hangers were for 3in springs too, I just did what u might do with the 1/4 spacers.

koa's93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
You doing some nice work their buddy!
Haha thank you. I appreciate the compliment. Could you believe that just a few years ago, when I first bought this truck, I didn't know squat about building a rig. Hell, I even paid a shop to change a ball joint. Man, how quickly you learn when your dd breaks on a weekly basis.

And I did notice that spacer in your front hanger from when you first posted your build pics.

koa's93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
If I could do it all over again, I would have bought the same hanger you have. Much better look and they did all the hard work of making things perfectly square. But I already bought the steel so....oh well

flexfab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just stumbled across this thread. Looks like a pretty ambitious build. Quick question about the rear 60 swap - what are you going to do about the lack of a speed sensor on the axle? Be careful with trying to move your front axle forward, you have to watch out for steering linkage bind and cross member issues. Here's what I did with my 92 http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125680
:icon_welder:

koa's93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
thats a nice set up you got there. i wish i had that kinda skill to make my build that fancy. but im broke and im a beginner.

as for the d60 question. my ranger has the speed sensor in the tranny. my 8.8 had the abs sensor, but my abs has been broken for 3 years now, so screw it.

as for axle placement. with my gen, i can go up to 3" forward without binding or having to move the steering box. but being that im using leafs and i want to use the longest spring i can fit, im having trouble reaching that 3" mark without extending the front frame section

koa's93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
thats a nice set up you got there. i wish i had that kinda skill to make my build that fancy. but im broke and im a beginner.

as for the d60 question. my ranger has the speed sensor in the tranny. my 8.8 had the abs sensor, but my abs has been broken for 3 years now, so screw it.

as for axle placement. with my gen, i can go up to 3" forward without binding or having to move the steering box. but being that im using leafs and i want to use the longest spring i can fit, im having trouble reaching that 3" mark without extending the front frame section

Last edited:

87anger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
177 c.i. 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Wow cant believe I have never seen this thread. I saw your (bumper?) on CL with pics of the truck and thought DAMN that truck should be on TRS. :icon_rofl: Just stumbled across this thread. I live just over the hump in Pahrump.

Oh and you have a great truck there, keep it up.:icon_thumby:

koa's93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Wow cant believe I have never seen this thread. I saw your (bumper?) on CL with pics of the truck and thought DAMN that truck should be on TRS. :icon_rofl: Just stumbled across this thread. I live just over the hump in Pahrump.

Oh and you have a great truck there, keep it up.:icon_thumby:
haha small world. i was just in pahrump on sunday for the fair. thanks for the compliments. hopefully the bumper will get sold tomorrow. then i have no excuse not to build a tube bumper. once the truck gets finished, its maiden voyage will be through cold creek pass through the mountain and lunch break in pahrump. maybe you could meet up and show us some trails on your side

87anger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
177 c.i. 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
haha small world. i was just in pahrump on sunday for the fair. thanks for the compliments. hopefully the bumper will get sold tomorrow. then i have no excuse not to build a tube bumper. once the truck gets finished, its maiden voyage will be through cold creek pass through the mountain and lunch break in pahrump. maybe you could meet up and show us some trails on your side
I havent had the luxury of exploring the trails too much becasue my truck has been in bad repair in the year that I have had it. (no 4wd horriblr tires etc.) but when I had my 78 chevy I used to take it up wheeler pass alot, and up carpenter canyon a couple times, as well as scare the shit out of some quads jumping it in the desert.:D The one time I took my Ranger off-road the damn dist internals grenaded themselves.

But anyway ya it would be cool to meet you, no one out here really appreciates a Ranger. Maybe by then ill have my truck fixed.

koa's93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Take your time buddy. I got about another 4 months till I'm ready to roll. Same as Vegas though, unless it's a preunner, no one will give your rig a second look. I had preunner style trucks in the past but I got tired of rolling them. Costs me a lot of money to keep buying new trucks

87anger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
177 c.i. 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Take your time buddy. I got about another 4 months till I'm ready to roll. Same as Vegas though, unless it's a preunner, no one will give your rig a second look. I had preunner style trucks in the past but I got tired of rolling them. Costs me a lot of money to keep buying new trucks
I hear ya on the prerunner thing, I almost caved in and bought one here in town but it sold before I could afford it. Its all for the best tho cuz I want 4wd. Im actually hoping to find a 93-97 4wd ext cab but of course vegas is filled with 2wds but 4wds are rare. Plus it has to run good because I have no way of towing a vehicle that far:sad:. Daily debate whether to fix my neverending list of problems or just buy a new Ranger. :dunno:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals