• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Kirbys 1991 Ranger Build Up and Solid Axle Swap

Kirby N.

Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I made some different mounts for the sides of the bed sides. The ones I had just weren't tough enough. liked what some others recommended from auto fab:

With the new side mounted, they both look pretty close and they are with a tape too.

Here are some more shots of my highlift mount. I have been running it for the past couple weeks. No problems. I think it will be good for the long haul:

I am really happy with it. I have had the highlift floating around in the extended cab for too long. Its a pain to move around. Now it can stay right there until I need it. Also glad I got it done before paint.

Which is whats next...

Paint! I started tearing out all the interior and the windows and stripping the doors because paint is next. It goes in on July 5 for paint.

I decided not to repaint it the stock color. I have a color in mind- but what color would you paint it if you were painting it?

Kirby N.

Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, I had a setback. My core support is rusted bad.

So I removed the body mount bushings and those body mounts suck. I went to the pull and pay today and it took me 3 tries, but I finally got off a set of front core support body mounts that were in good shape.

I spent the rest of the day fine tuning my passenger side front fender. I got a good reveal that I am happy with. Only took a long time.

I initially utilized the stock fender mounts hacked off the original fenders. That wasn't really strong and was hard to get the gaps fine tuned.

Also, this fender had 3/4" too much material in the bottom area before the lowest mount making it stick out at the bottom. To resolve that, I cut the fender, overlapped it and screwed it together. I hope my body guy can smooth it out and make it look right.

Then, I had some extra tabs from Ballistic I bought- so I made some better fender mounts using the autofab grommets and the tabs that were supplied on the backside of the fenders. I like that they are hidden this way. I also put one behind the light on the front for a little more strength. Here they are tacked in

And welded up: (if you look close you can see the front mount too)

I was able to get the door reveal almost perfect this way- and I am satisfied. A little work with the flap disc and it was dialed.

I am going to do the same to the passenger fender next, then after I get it done and removed for welding, it will be time to start cutting out the core support. My body guy ordered me a core support- should be here soon.

No paint ideas?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
That truck would look good even if you painted it with multiple colors of your wife's left over finger nail polish...

I like the non-metalic gray and tan you see now days. No matter what color you choose... it won't hide the coolness.

Kirby N.

Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Photobucket broke the internet- but my truck is done with paint. It took from July-November for it to get done with paint and for me to get it back together. I am really happy with it. I decided on Calvary Blue non metallic.

Here it is the day I picked up the cab.
IMG_4154 2.JPG

Started putting it back together.
IMG_4155.JPG

The inner fenders were a challenge. Started with a set of inners from a 1997. trimmed down and riveted.

IMG_4174.JPG

Then built some templates and cut out some sections or ABS plastic to over the gaps.

IMG_4178.JPG

Then I took it had the interior and under the doors Rhino lined. I moved the wiring off the floor to the roof for the rear speakers and fixed the seat belt light and inertia switch. No wires necessary for those anymore.

IMG_3528.JPG

IMG_4344.JPG
IMG_4345.JPG

Drove it for a week or two with no bed- waiting on it to be done and to get it rhino ed. Also put on a new winch cable.
IMG_4355.JPG

The day the bed went on.

I got it lined and got the thing operating quick so I could take it hunting.

Installed an High Output ARB compressor and hooked up the front locker. Need to get the rear installed.

IMG_4413.JPG

IMG_4373.JPG
IMG_4374.JPG
IMG_4377.JPG
IMG_4379.JPG
IMG_0994.JPG
IMG_0995.JPG

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Looks really good....

and elk nachos!!

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Yep... snow... lots of it.

Well… You built yourself a bad ass little truck Kirby. Glad you are out enjoying it.

@Jim Oaks … thought you might have had this one slip by your ever watchful eye?

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Yep... snow... lots of it.

Well… You built yourself a bad ass little truck Kirby. Glad you are out enjoying it.

@Jim Oaks … thought you might have had this one slip by your ever watchful eye?
Ya, I need to feature this!

Kirby N.

Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have an issue with a shock. Bilstien end came unscrewed and booger up the threads. Looks like it is somewhat common. I talked to bilstien and they said I was over extending them. It seems weird it would happen now 4 or so years after I installed them.

They said people have had luck welding them together. I might try that. I had to cycle them anyway and check. Fully stuffed at the shock it is 20" and fully drooped 29". They aren't correct. I took some pics because it was fun cycling the suspension.

I like how it tucks the rear tire all centered now.

mtnrgr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6" Skyjacker, with 1.5" coil spacers, custom radius arms, custom traction bars
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
Lord God is my guardian
I live in prerunner country here in california, and you have made a very beautiful truck. Not real often you see a prerunner in the snow. Read thru your whole build, and love your build. Do you have a tailgate for your ranger? With all the flexing, you should have a pair of bed support bars made.

Kirby N.

Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thank you for the advice and the kind words. Yes, I do have the tailgate. It just got out of paint last week. I have to install the ford sticker then it is ready to go on.

Kirby N.

Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Kirby... we need to see this on the front page here at TRS. Send @Jim Oaks a message.

Great job...

Kirby N.

Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks

I have been chasing a leak in the roof. Same one I had before paint. I did a test with soapy water and compressed air and found what I thought was a leak near the drip rail. I have video of that. I had my painter address it last week and it still leaks. I dont know what to do, honestly.

Today I got the tailgate mounted and stickered.

IMG_4636.JPG

IMG_4637.JPG

I found a set of NOS bushings for the hinges on eBay. So I got those installed. Parts are getting tough to locate.

IMG_4638.JPG

I was able to also find a NOS handle on eBay. The inner parts are the best out of 3 sets I had.

It was a tight fit, but it fits and looks good:

IMG_4639.JPG

Next I took the gate to Rhino Linings to get the lining put on it. It originally had a coat of lineX on it when I found the gem in the junk yard. So the rhino is going over and will match the lines of the rest of the bed/ color.

IMG_4640.JPG

IMG_4641.JPG

Rhino is going to line the rest of the 2" on the lower cab and fenders on friday to match below the doors. I am getting some chips there, so I am hoping this will fix it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals