• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Kill switch brainstorm

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
These days they are more likely to just steal your cat converter. They sell protective metal guards for them now.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I know..................a seat belt kill switch, not many thieves would fasten seat belt before trying to start the engine :)
Hiding in plain sight

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
These days they are more likely to just steal your cat converter. They sell protective metal guards for them now.
Couple of years ago, in prep for a cross country trip & too many nights with vehicle in hotel parking lots,
wrapped my CatCons with heavy steel chain, to discourage or at least slow down the SawzAllThieves;
the CatCons+ChainWrap are still in place, so assuming that worked.

gstuartw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
TBD
Make / Model
Bronco II
If I was a thief I would pass on a 1988 BII, in 2023 it's its own "kill switch"

But kids will be kids, and that's who might attempt a theft
Haha, "it's its own "kill switch". I agree with the sentiment Ron, funny thought.

But as far as "...kids will be kids", in this case I'm confident there might be more than "kids" interested in mine here in Central Mexico. Given the arduous inspection process to license a vehicle it'll take a good amount of money to pay off the right people to look the other way. Most kids here don't have the cash. I'm not even going to put thought into the horror that mine would end up in parts. I'd rather if it were stolen, it was going to stay whole! :giggle:

Attachments

Last edited:

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
^^^ Nice Bronco II. I can understand why you'd want "harden" it against theft.

A hidden kill switch is a good idea, and there's several ways to do it, all fine.

In my opinion, the first best deterrent is a flashing LED, mounted where it's easily visible. These are part of most every alarm or immobilizer system, and one can be configured alone in several different ways (through a switch, as part of a kill switch install, or even automatic when the key is off). Current draw is not an issue if the vehicle is driven regularly.

"Deterrence" is what you're looking for. A hidden kill switch may prevent a drive-away theft. but the vehicle may still be damaged in the attempt- smashed window or scratches from entry, and a busted column and ignition switch from the hot wire attempt.

A blinking light gives you a better chance that a thief will pass up your ride, for a target without such an indicator light. The thief doesn't know if it's a dummy light, or if the vehicle has an alarm or owner-paging system.

It can also deter "smash and grab" content theft.

I think that you're on the right track, in doing something to help protect such a nice truck.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
A locked garage can help also; parking on the street is just too tempting a target.

gstuartw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
TBD
Make / Model
Bronco II
Yes, definitely don't want to be target. I keep this in a locked garage day and night and typically and avoid street parking anytime I drive, preferring parking in a lot when out on errands etc.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Why not just pull the ECM or fuel pump fuse or get a foot dimmer switch like old vehicles had and hook it with the ign, fuel pump power, or coil power.

download.jpg

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
As much as I like the idea of wiring new and interesting KILL switches for vehicles, they don't prevent thieves from trying, lol

Locked in a garage is best

An 80+ pound German Shepard with a bag of kibbles and a bowl of water in the back would be good for street parking, but not really practical :)

I always laughed at "The Club" but it is a visual deterrent to the casual thief

And then there are wheel clamps/boots/locks very very visual great for trailers or vehicles that will be sitting for more than a day, not easy to put on and take off daily

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Life-size inflatable Chuck Norris doll?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Nah, too many people knocking on the window to get an autograph or "selfie", lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals