• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Kicking my arse.

Therigwelder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
i have a93 ranger I cannot figure out. It all started with a 224 code that was a failing ICM.one night I parked the truck and it was running however the next morning the truck wouldn't start. I replaced the ICM, CPS and the timing belt (maintenance).using a multi meter I confirmed power to the ICM, CPS. I checked the shared ground wire to ensure everything was grounded properly. While hand turning the crankshaft I checked the signal voltages from the CPS to the ICM, while hand cranking the engine. Output voltage was at 9v for both the CID and CPS signals. I have a weak orange spark on the #2 exhaust Spark plug. I have no spark on the intake side plugs. If I am not mistaken that would be correct,the intake side doesn’t fire till the truck starts? I still have a no run condition and it’s got me at wits end.what am I missing? Maybe the ICM isn’t grounding properly even though I got 12 v when I checked it with a meter from B+ to orange/red ground ICM wire?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1989 to 1994 2.3l Rangers use an ICM(ignition control module) for spark
There will be NO SPARK on the intake side coil while starter motor is active, that is normal, it starts working above 400RPM, there is a "Dual Plug inhibitor wire" on the ICM, pin 6

By "CPS" do you mean Crank Sensor, usually abbreviated CKP sensor, CPS is usually used for Cam Sensor
Crank sensor on 1993 is hall effect type, you should see 0v and then 12v, off and on, as you rotate engine manually, you really need a scope to see the Pulse its sending out verses voltage

Any time you have a crank but no start on any engine, spray some fuel into the engine, gasoline or ether, and try to start it, called 50/50 test
If it starts and dies then you have a fuel delivery problem
If it doesn't start/fire then you have a spark problem
50/50 instant results

These use a Waste Spark system so "spark testers" don't work very well since 2 spark plugs are hooked up in series, its not like a distributor spark system

Yes, the ICMs on these engines were troublesome, most auto parts stores can test them

1995 and up 2.3ls have ICM in the computer so all spark plugs work while starter is active

Last edited:

Therigwelder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, I’ve confirmed it’s getting fuel. I changed The timing belt since I had to take the front cover off for the CPS.brought it to TDC of compression stroke, lined the crank with the bottom housing notch, lined the cam diamond to the slots on the back cover and turned the diamond on the oil pump to centerline of the cam. Not that it’s necessary to align the pump.confident timing is right.engine cranks as if timing is right.doesn't spin free or like it’s retarded. I believe I have an electrical issue causing the problem. What’s the possibility of during the original ICM failure it also burnt out the coils as well? My ICM and CPS tested bad at the same time.ECM issue? I need this truck but don’t want to throw parts at it and waste money.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Diamond?............................Cam gear uses Triangle at 4:00

AUX(oil pump) gear use diamond at 12:00

These gears are the same size and interchangeable, so most will have BOTH timing marks, a Diamond and a Triangle
A rubbed "half" Diamond can look like a Triangle

Just do a 50/50 test, its free and very very easy to do

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals