• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Key sticking in Park

Tom_G

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Aloha all!
99 Ford Ranger XLT.
I just had a fair bit of work done on the shift linkage. The neutral safety switch was replaced, and also the plunger and bushings in the steering column. These to alleviate some pretty serious "loose shifter" woes. Oh, also got a new bracket so that the indicator reads correctly!

Anyway, once the work was done, the travelling mechanic I use had me give it a try, and the key didn't want to come out of the ignition without me lifting the shifter. He reached under the truck for about 3 seconds, and then it worked! That was a couple of weeks ago, and now, the key is beginning to bind again. I can get it out by lifting the shifter, but why bother?

I'm thinking there's some sort of cable tensioning adjustment at the transmission end which just needs to be tightened (or loosened?) 1/2 turn. Can someone please guide me to that magic wing nut?

Mahalo!
Tom G

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Cable/Bracket Adjustment

1. Place the gearshift lever (7210) in the (D) position and hang a 1.4 kg (3 lb) weight on the shift control selector lever.
    • Move the gearshift lever to the first gear position, then move back two detents to the (D) position.
    • Hang the 1.4 kg (3 lb) weight on the gearshift lever.

1. Raise and support the vehicle; refer to Jacking and Lifting.

1. Disconnect the transmission shift cable from the manual control lever (7A256).

1. Pull out the transmission shift cable adjustment lock on the shift cable body.

1. Place the manual control lever in the (D) position.
    1. Rotate the manual control lever fully counterclockwise.
    1. Rotate the manual control lever clockwise to the (D) position. (2 detents).

1. Connect the transmission shift cable to the manual control lever.

1. Push in the transmission shift cable adjustment lock on the shift cable body.

1. NOTE
    NOTE: If equipped with air suspension, reactivate the system by turning on the air suspension switch.

Lower the vehicle.

1. Remove the 1.4 kg (3 lb) weight.

1. CAUTION
    CAUTION: To prevent damage, do not adjust the transmission shift cable in any position other than (D).

Verify that the vehicle will start only in P or N and that backup lamps illuminate in R. If not, repeat steps 1 through 7 and perform a digital transmission range sensor alignment; refer to Automatic Transmission — 4R44E or Automatic Transmission — 5R55E.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals