• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Key fobs stopped working

Effieman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Came out to my 98 Ranger a while back and the fob wouldn't unlock the doors. After getting some WD-40 in the door lock, I was able to use the key to open the door, but the alarm went off.
Got home, tried my other 3 fobs and none worked. Can't believe all 4 batteries would have died the same day.
Getting tired of using the key all the time...
How does one go about troubleshooting something like this?
Any suggestions on what could be the problem?

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
There are a number of ways to do it, depending on vehicle and year. There should also be a section devoted to it in your owner's manual. If you don't have one, there's probably one in the Tech Sections make that ARticles and Resources

Here's the process from your manual:

Reprogramming transmitters
To reprogram all transmitters, place the key in the ignition and switch
from OFF to ON eight times in a row (within 10 seconds). After doors
lock/unlock, press any button on all transmitters (up to four). When
completed, switch the ignition to OFF.
All transmitters must be reprogrammed at the same time.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
A little more complicated that that, but not much more, read here: https://northcoastkeyless.com/1998-ford-ranger-keyless-entry-remote-programming-instructions/

Cycling key on and off 8 times quickly and having door locks respond/cycle means the RAP module is working
If door locks do not cycle lock/unlock then problem is most likely RAP module

If locks do cycle then ALL FOBS are now erased, and you need to add all the fobs you have back at this time
Erasing all fobs automatically allows you to disable a lost fob, or stolen fob, so it can no longer open the door

So you can't add just 1 fob if you have 2 or 3 as the others will be erased, so have all the fobs you want to add/work with you when programming

RAP is remote anti-theft personality module, does keyless entry and also alarm if so equipped
In Rangers its usually located behind drivers seat and behind the plastic trim panel of cab

Looks like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/162040593494

In 1998 its powered by fuel pump fuse(#9 in engine fuse box), so if engine starts that fuse is OK, lol

But also check Fuse 20 in cab fuse box, 7.5amp

Effieman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
RonD: When it originally stopped working I checked all the fuses. Also just checked again, as I didn't know exactly which fuse, just figured it would be 10 amp or smaller.
I also tried reprogramming the fobs since the one I used was an aftermarket one, but none of the 4 would work...The doors do lock/unlock when in programming mode though. And the alarm still functions which is why I can't lock the doors using the door switch, as then the alarm goes off when I open the door after unlocking with the key.
From what you said, that pretty much means it's NOT the RAP module?
Any other ideas would also be appreciated.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Could be the receiver in the RAP module or the antenna

RAP module is keyless entry or alarm or both, so its sectional, much like GEM module

Picture here: https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.ranger-forums.com-vbulletin/1297x975/15621186358572825251430655830135_74eaa06f8c30bb3ee1d7c78236c530c88f7b4c69.jpg

Yellow sticker is on the antenna wire

Antenna wire runs under carpet with the other wires and up the "A" pillar on drivers side
Any work done behind seat or in driver kick panel area recently?

Do programming mode again and hold fob close to "A" pillar(about halfway up), and also closer to RAP module location, behind seat, just to see if it might be an antenna issue
Should be a "black box" in "A" pilar, thats the actual antenna, other part is the "coax cable" connection, same as on the radio antenna

29lilhjb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey Ron, good information. I just discovered my truck has the passive anti-theft system thanks to this post. looks like I'm gonna be stranded for awhile until I can afford to tow my truck to dealership and buy new keys🤦

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey Ron, good information. I just discovered my truck has the passive anti-theft system thanks to this post. looks like I'm gonna be stranded for awhile until I can afford to tow my truck to dealership and buy new keys🤦
Mobile Locksmith can come to you, and make/cut new PATS keys and add them to your system, less cost than tow truck and Dealer cost

If you are OK with Computers then Forscan is a free or inexpensive software that you can use to add keys to your vehicle yourself
Look in the Forscan forum for details

CrabGuy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2004-Bone stock
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Why should I pay someone else to screw it up when I can screw it up myself for free?
I had a mobile locksmith come and cut/reprogram a new PATS key and 2 new fobs after losing my keys. It needs to be an original key, not a cloned key. Came to about $120 and AAA paid for it. Every city of any moderate size should have a mobile service like you need. The local Ford dealer wanted twice that amount and would not cut any customer supplied key blank.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Can you share the name of that company which helped you getting the PATS keys.
Welcome to TRS :)

As CrabGuy said, just check your local area for Mobile Locksmiths, tell them what you need, if they have the software then they can do it
MOST Locksmiths are MOBILE, i.e. they come to change locks on people's home doors all the time

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals