• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Key/Fob Upgrade Options?

noobie dave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. For 20 years I've been using the stupid stock key fob for my 2003 Ranger. For 20 years I've been brushing my keys the wrong way, cramming them in my pocket the wrong way, or sitting on them only to hear the panic button sound off. Cursing, I drop whatever I'm doing and fumble to get the goddam keys out and turn it off. It's annoying and I'm looking to change it up.

I ordered one of those all-in-one keys off ebay and found out (after I had it cut, of course) that it doesn't fit in the plastic keyhole bezel.

Does anyone have any experience with trying different fobs, changing cylinders out to different years (like post-'12, to use a switchblade key) or using different fobs from different cars, or other generic fobs that could be programmed to the '03? Looking for ideas.

Thanks!

HONK HONK HONK HONK...dammit!

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you keep the key fob in a small metal eyeglass case it would make the fob harder to snoop and protect the fob. I use small metal eye glass cases to safe guard my (gun) magazines and keep them from having the nose damaged and from collecting dust. A bright neon color would not hurt and if you wanted, you could put an air tag on it too.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I just don’t use the fob at all because I think it takes up too much space in my pocket with all my other keys.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals