• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

KB-29 plaque replacement - Please help

crbnunit

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic

Hey guys. There was a KB-29 that crashed in the Talkeetna Mountains here in Alaska the day after Christmas in 1956. The locals had known about it and visited the site for many years even though it is fairly remote and difficult to get to. In June of 2005 a bunch of guys (me included) in one of the local off road clubs got together, donated time and money to have a plaque made to commemorate and honor the sacrifice made by the crew who all perished in the crash. We had a plaque cast, made a trip to the site and mounted it to one of the wings.

The story got out and some of the family members became aware and contacted us. Several of the families came to Alaska to see the wreck. At least one, a son had never met his father and never really knew what had happened to him. It was a pretty emotional time for all. We were able to organize an impromptu memorial service. The families brought pictures and slides and told stories. Most of them were meeting for the first time.

We had planned to drive them to the site but the weather didn’t cooperate and we were unable to do so. This is a VERY steep trail and turns into a sheet of glass when wet. Not fun or safe. Some of the younger, more fit members hiked to the site but, unfortunately, many were unable due to age or illness.

The plaque was stolen this summer. We would like to replace it but the cost of casting a new plaque has gone way up. The original was about $500. The replacement will be over $3400. If any of you are interested in donating to this cause, any amount would be appreciated.

Here is a link to the original trip report if you are interested. Some good pictures of the trip and the site. http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=8709&highlight=kb-29+plaque

If you are able to donate, use PayPal and send money to the address below.
KB29plaque@aol.com

If you would prefer, PM me and I’ll send you my address. We will close the account and return all money after the cost of the plaque has been met.

Last edited:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
wow. amazing and powerful pics. you guys have my utmost respect for what youve done so far.

i cant believe some low-life stole the dedication plaque :annoyed:

id love to donate to the cause but im just not in the financial position right now :sad: im going to send this link to my dad though...being a military dog himself im sure he'll be able get something together to help.

crbnunit

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I completely understand and appreciate the thought. Please feel free to copy this and post it on any other forums you think might get some hits.

Yea, I can't believe someone stole it. It used to be a two mile trek across swampy tundra from the trail to get to the crash site but the 4 wheelers have pushed a trail right to and into the site. There is really no respect for anythign anymore. We will not remount the new plaque to the wing. We have a resident boulder, a big one, with a relatively flat face we are going to use. It will be bolted and epoxied in place this time.

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
Use Ford bolts too...

Sheesh... who the f*ck steals a memorial plaque right? It sickens me that people don't respect those who died in order to keep this country safe.

crbnunit

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Bump. This is important guys. $1.00, $5.00. We'll take anything we can get. I know money is tight, that is why I'm posting here. Give what you can, if you can. Feel free to post this in other places you think might get a few hits.

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
I'll see about getting you a $5 money order. PM me your address to mail it to, please.

ryan

Forum Administrator
Administrator
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
I stuck this thread and changed the title. If this is a problem crbunit let me know. Very worthy cause, and it's great to see a longtime member working with your local group like this. Hate to see that it was stolen

letsblaze

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Has this been posted on Pirate, Many of them are vets?

crbnunit

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
No, I'm not a member of Pirate. Please feel free to post it there if you like.

Insanejughead, you are awesome. PM sent.

derekj

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4wd
Transmission
Manual
Wow! Those are some great pictures. I thought we had some great scenery here in British Columbia but that area takes the cake. Good on your group for going out of your way to lay the plaque. Donation coming your way via Paypal in a few days. I think this is my favorite picture....

Derek

Last edited:

MrE_Powers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
take some aluminum straps and go corner to corner with the new marker and tig it in place.

crbnunit

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Wow! Those are some great pictures. I thought we had some great scenery here in British Columbia but that area takes the cake. Good on your group for going out of your way to lay the plaque. Donation coming your way via Paypal in a few days. I think this is my favorite picture....

Derek
That picture gives you some idea of how steep that trail is. When it is dry, you could probably get a stock Stupidru up there. When it is wet... We were all far too frightened on the way back down to take many photos. It started raining about the time we got to the crash site, rained the whole time we were mounting it and all the way back to the trucks and down. I will never make that trip again without camping gear! I'll wait until it dries out a bit before coming back down. Seriously!

Thanks guys!! :icon_cheers:

crbnunit

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Here are a few more shots of that trail from another trip. Scared the crap out of the GF on this one. I had aired down for the climb and blew a bead on the right rear, the downhill side. I stopped moving forward and then nose lifted. That is about a 200' roll into a creek bed to the downhill there. I allowed the truck to roll bacwards and down th ehill to lessen the angle. We still didn't realize how precarious the possition was until the GF opened the door and the front tire came off the ground by about 2'!! :shok:

It is good to have friends!

The culpret.

Peace!

We had a 200' winch line extension plus the 125' on my winch to reach an anchor.

Playing in the mud.

The GF standing next to Dan's monster F350 on 44's.

There is a little bit of water up here.

Life in camp.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
thats an E350 there bud :icon_twisted:

did he do the 4x4 conversion himself or buy it already converted?

awsome pics as usual. its stuff like that that makes me miss cordova just a wee bit. oh well, washingtons got some decent trails and plenty of camping :yahoo:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals