• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

K&n ?

MikeInIdaho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
There are differing opinions on this site about which exhaust setup is the "best" for their trucks, flowmaster vs. magnaflow, glasspack vs. "turbo" style, cat vs. no cat etc., etc.,

In my opinion, I don't like flowmaster mufflers on 4 cylinder vehicles due to the raspy, "tinny" exhaust note that they give. Running a 14 inch 40 series on a 4 banger just doesn't sound quite right to me. I had an 86 Toyota hilux with an old-school 40 series flowmaster on it and didn't care too much for the exhaust note it gave the truck. If you have a v-8 or even a v-6 its a different story, but even on a six flowmasters just dont quite do it for me.

I'm not very fond of glasspack-style mufflers either, as they sound even tinnier, ricier and shittier in general than flowmasters.

I had dual 40-series flowmasters on my 90 deg v6 lumina, and while I enjoyed the low, low rumble of the exhaust at idle, I was still getting a little "fartcan" note at higher rpms. The issue was remedied by changing out the 40's for dual two-chambered magnaflows (2 1/2 in/out) with 2 1/2 in. tips. It's now quite a bit quieter at idle and actually sounds like a sixer instead of a damn honda. I'm planning on getting a 2 1/4 in (2.5 core) straight through magnaflow with the perforated steel core put on my truck here in the next week or so, and have no plans to change anything else on the exhaust as there is no reason to do so. The factory 2 1/4 in. exhaust piping on my 4 cyl b2300 is just about the perfect diameter for its application, the smaller diameter actually helping to boost low-end torque, just like the non-restrictive factory intake ducting. After all, we are talking about a 4 cylinder truck, not a racecar. If you want gobs of top-end horsepower, buy a GSX-R.

p.s. : My LTZ Lumina makes the same horsepower numbers as a stock 5.0 mustang and I'm using the stock airbox with a drop-in k&n panel filter that's almost the exact same size and dimension as the one on my truck

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 & 2001
Make / Model
Ford & Dodge
Engine Size
2.3L & 5.9 24v Cummins
Transmission
Automatic
thanks so I guess I won't do anything to my truck considering it would just be wasting money.

And Mike believe me I would have a GSXR but my parents probably would not be to thrilled. So I should probably go out an buy a hayabusa !

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 & 2001
Make / Model
Ford & Dodge
Engine Size
2.3L & 5.9 24v Cummins
Transmission
Automatic
One more question........so what are some inexpensive parts that will give the truck some balls?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
"cheap" and "horsepower" are not words that should be used together. if there was a cheap, simple way to increase power output, ford would have done it from the factory (remember, horsepower sells). which is why its not as simple as bolting on a cone filter or putting bigger exhaust pipes on.

regearing the axles, a set of underdrive pulleys (if you can find them...focus ones may work), and a programmer are your best bets. none are cheap.

Last edited:

jax4bangin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i had been running a custom 3" intake tube and a k&n panel filter for about 2 months. after reading all the threads about false gains and how the stock system flows more than a 2.3 even needs i put my stock tube back on and have been running it for about a week. if there is any power difference between the 2 setups its not noticable. i will tell u one thing, without a doubt i was averaging at least 3 mpg better with the 3" diameter manderel bent tube. now im not trying to disprove anyone but i dont know wat to tell ya guys. i will be deffinately be putting my custom tube back on and recomend any 2.3 duratec owner to find some scrap aluminum tube(3") and see for yourself.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
thanks so I guess I won't do anything to my truck considering it would just be wasting money.
Great, we have officially discouraged some dudes dreams of improving the performance of his truck. Im not bashing anyone personally, But I'm gonna have to sit quiet and read from now on. Im blown away by the v6 agenda on here. There is so much performance to be had from the 4 cyl and its totally ignored because everyone thinks the 6 is better. Its similar to the v-8 pushers on the v6 mustang sites. Modding our trucks is supposed to be fun. And to tell the new guys that there are no gains to be had from mods is ludacris. Not to mention against every PROVEN fact out there. Just because gains are not noticed by some of the 'experts' butt-o-meter, doesnt mean they arent there. The manufacturer builds everything for a compromise of emissons and fuel mileage and power. It IS possible to improve.

Good luck with your truck dude.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
im not trying to push anything on him. its his truck and he can do what he wants. my goal is to prevent people from wasting money on mods that wont give a noticeable improvement (hes not going to run this thing on the dyno, so whats the point of doing an intake and exhaust if they wont give a butt-dyno-detectable improvement?). the mods that i mentioned WILL improve his trucks power output noticeably and are a good way to spend your cash.

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
cheap is possible with you doing the labor and the learning curve will be higher than unbolt this clamp and put the tube here....the big power is usually foudn in items liek gearing, convertor changes, forced induction, big cams and compression changes.....

MikeInIdaho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
There's nothing wrong with modifying your vehicle or adding aftermarket parts to the mix. The OP and I have essentially the same trucks, if I'm not mistaken. For example, I've already changed the tires, added a k&n panel filter and am about to have a "race only" magnaflow put on here within the next few days. However, I'm not expecting any kind of significant power increase by using these parts. I'm adding the exhaust (along with the filter) for the sole reason that I like the sound my truck makes with it on (as opposed to stock). I'm not out to win any races, but I do like to drive my truck and modify it to fit my tastes, as I'm sure nearly everyone else on this site does as well.

As far as significant power boosters that I can think of off the top of my head, a JET Performance Module comes to mind. I'm not sure what the numbers are for the 2.3, but I would imagine gains in the 10-15 hp range would be a realistic expectation with this mod. It's not really "cheap" at around $250, but it is a safe and proven way to give the four-popper a little more juice. You could probably have the throttle body machined for a little extra boost as well (not sure if focus TB's work on rangers/B23s or not. From what I hear, the most performance potential on these motors lies in the cylinder head, but that kind of work would be far from cheap.

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 & 2001
Make / Model
Ford & Dodge
Engine Size
2.3L & 5.9 24v Cummins
Transmission
Automatic
It was helpful to know that the after market intake/exhaust was not important for any power differences. Because me not knowing obviously might have gone out and spent $400 on something that wouldn't even help me in the end when I could've just not voided intake/exhaust warranty for something stupid that wouldn't make anything better than 3-4mpg. So now I'll just spend it on something that will actually do something to the vehicle.

There is no websites that list anything for 2008 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L, so when going out and buying a chip how do I know that it will plug into my truck? Also, is it essential to get intake/exhaust if you have the chips(due to chip possibly making the engine work harder needing more air and exhaust) or would it still be ok to leave the stock intake/exhaust?

Thanks

MikeInIdaho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
checkout out www.summitracing.com, they have the JET module for your Ranger. You can search for it by make/model, or simply put in this part number at the top of the page and click search: JET-80727. Summit has it listed for $239.95.

JET states that performance gains can be had with "little to no modification" to your vehicle. I can't imagine there being any issues using it on a stock or near stock setup.

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 & 2001
Make / Model
Ford & Dodge
Engine Size
2.3L & 5.9 24v Cummins
Transmission
Automatic
I dont know the diablo-sport is about $370 and it comes with an interface and different downloadable settings to go along with it. Ranger stations guys might want to check it out. They have it for 2.3L/3.0L/4.0L.

Summitracing also has it !

mongo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
the super 40 pops way to much and the cold air kit

ive had great results on mine

i personaly think we got a bunch of yuppys here

mongo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
also under drive pullys

about $150 and they say 15 to 25 more hp but on the ranger mabey 10

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals