• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

JY Ranger 8.8

RoamingCanuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5L
Transmission
Manual
I pulled a replacement 8.8 from a junkyard with 4:10 gears in it, from the door it said it was open diff. But I broke the cardinal rule of JY pulling, take a picture of the OEM Vin panel with all the vehicle info on it. It was pouring rain, I was miserable but it was a perfect complete axle to replace my ailing one in my ranger so I had to have it.

My question is do the drum brakes change at all over the years? I know for sure the donor was 98 or newer but I'm not certain of the exact year. I see various part numbers from Raybestos and AC delco on rockauto based on year.

However I see that the Ford part number BRDF16 for drums is present in every year from 97 up to 2011 so I'm not really sure.

I want to put all brand new brake hardware on the axle before I install it so that I know its 100% good. The truck sees a lot of km towing a trailer so I don't like to risk it on brakes.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The only differences in brakes are 9" or 10" drums, take a drum off and measure the ID and that'll tell you which you need, I think most 8.8's had the 10" drums though but as with all Ranger parts there's no definite...

RoamingCanuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5L
Transmission
Manual
Its for sure a 10" I was just concerned about the other parts like combi kit and such

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
A lot of parts stores have the brake parts all sorts of confused sometimes, they have listings for Dana 28 parts through '97 when they weren't used past '89...

If you want to be sure to get the right shoes and hardware, get parts for a '94 Explorer as they have 10" drums which take the same pads as the Ranger 8.8's, they just have a different backing plate to go with the bigger axle shafts.

The only thing that changed somewhere around '98 or so is the hole in the center of the brake drum and the center stub on the axle shaft changed sizes, I think the new ones are bigger than the older ones but I don't have anything to check against as I wasn't paying attention when I had my '00 Explorer apart...

RoamingCanuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5L
Transmission
Manual
A lot of parts stores have the brake parts all sorts of confused sometimes, they have listings for Dana 28 parts through '97 when they weren't used past '89...

If you want to be sure to get the right shoes and hardware, get parts for a '94 Explorer as they have 10" drums which take the same pads as the Ranger 8.8's, they just have a different backing plate to go with the bigger axle shafts.

The only thing that changed somewhere around '98 or so is the hole in the center of the brake drum and the center stub on the axle shaft changed sizes, I think the new ones are bigger than the older ones but I don't have anything to check against as I wasn't paying attention when I had my '00 Explorer apart...
Would it matter that its a Ranger 8.8? 28spline

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
the 10" drums are the same between the Ranger axles and the Explorer axle, everything but the backing plate interchange. I say Ranger axles because the 10" drums were used randomly it seems (I think there has been a pattern found, I just don't remember it) on both the 7.5 and 8.8 axles, most 8.8's came with 10" but some with 9" and the other way around on the 7.5...

RoamingCanuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5L
Transmission
Manual
the 10" drums are the same between the Ranger axles and the Explorer axle, everything but the backing plate interchange. I say Ranger axles because the 10" drums were used randomly it seems (I think there has been a pattern found, I just don't remember it) on both the 7.5 and 8.8 axles, most 8.8's came with 10" but some with 9" and the other way around on the 7.5...
Good old random Ford.

My current axle is the 9" brakes on a 7.5" rear end, new one is 8.8" rear end and for sure 10" drums. I put them beside eachother and the 8.8 drums are bigger. I did the upgrade mostly for the 4:10 gears and the larger brakes. Makes a difference towing my trailer.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you want to get real crazy - put Aerostar rear drums on it. They are 10" and finned = better cooling when loaded/pulling trailer.

Be aware: Rear 10" drums will lock up faster than 9" ones did. Not a problem if you have ABS, but can be exciting on ice when unloaded if you don't...

RoamingCanuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5L
Transmission
Manual
If you want to get real crazy - put Aerostar rear drums on it. They are 10" and finned = better cooling when loaded/pulling trailer.

Be aware: Rear 10" drums will lock up faster than 9" ones did. Not a problem if you have ABS, but can be exciting on ice when unloaded if you don't...
I do have ABS, but thankfully its a summer only vehicle anyway. Its literally just used for camping either towing my pop up or bush camping with my hammock.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals