• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Just saw this

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Yes, but you don't do an engine swap everytime you run out of gas. :icon_rofl:
No, YOU:taunt:, don't do an engine swap every time YOU:taunt: run out of gas.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A cheap Iphone is 100 times better then a cheap android phone. The os is designed for the device, so you don't have the issue of the software being too demanding for the hardware like you do with android phones.
I just switched to Android first of the year after a long history of bricking iphones.

Programming works fine for me so far, I am only like 6mo in but so far I don't see myself switching back.

The range of an EV truck is a dealbreaker for me. Especially while towing. By the time I make a truck out of it (get real tires under it and get actual ground clearance)... the range is going to take a beating. Mainly looking at the Lightning. The range isn't so bad but the rate of recharge is the real killer.

I can't drive two hours and charge for two hours, that is a joke.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That would be silly to replace the engine when gas tank is empty.....................you just get a new car, DUH

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Towing range (at full capacity) is about 50% of unloaded capacity. Just like a gas vehicle. So for the 400 mile range version, you still get 200 miles with a maximum load. This isn't complicated. If you have a problem with electric vehicles, at least focus on the real drawbacks rather than making up imaginary ones.

Recharging is certainly a complication for now. But that has improved tremendously from just a few years ago, and will continue in that direction.
I want to haul my 11000lb fifth wheel at 200 mph so.. total drawback.

The thing that kills me is how much of a negative effect fast charging has on range. If you need to fast charge frequently.. your going to be losing a meaningful amount of range in just a few years.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
The battery is a covered part under the hybrid or electric vehicle warranty- 8 years 100,000 miles federal, 10 years 150,000 miles for green states. Swap in another battery and kiss the coverage good bye. Swap a recharged 4 year old battery in place of the battery in your new car? Not me, thanks.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.

All of these tools are powered by the same type of battery pack. You just adapt this concept to the automotive industry. I personally keep a battery charged for when my battery dies, I simply switch it out and put the other one on the charger. Of course it won't work in every situation, but it can reduce a lot of combustion pollution stuff from going into our lungs.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
It's a great concept for tools, but doesn't transfer well at all to the scale of automotive use.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
View attachment 61590
All of these tools are powered by the same type of battery pack. You just adapt this concept to the automotive industry. I personally keep a battery charged for when my battery dies, I simply switch it out and put the other one on the charger. Of course it won't work in every situation, but it can reduce a lot of combustion pollution stuff from going into our lungs.
Well a Tesla battery is around $12 grand not $39.99 so it makes things a bit more complicated financially Also the fact that they are hundreds of volts, extremely dangerous to handle, and insanely sophisticated makes it a tad more of an engineering hurdle than changing the battery in your drill.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
View attachment 61590
Close but no cigar. When we signed up for hybrids we had to buy the "essential tools" which included a subscription for heavy rubber gloves- as thick as barn boots, leather gloves to go over the rubber ones, and a 6 foot long fiberglass hook. If a tech touched anything high voltage he would stick to it like someone welding who got too close to the metal, the hook was to safely pull his dead body off the vehicle before it smoked up the shop. A hybrid Escape tad 330 volts D.C and a Fusion was 275. And the batteries are heavy enough that we used our motor crane to lift them out. How many people do you know who could replace their own spark plugs, let alone a potentially deadly high voltage battery?

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
The battery is a covered part under the hybrid or electric vehicle warranty- 8 years 100,000 miles federal, 10 years 150,000 miles for green states. Swap in another battery and kiss the coverage good bye. Swap a recharged 4 year old battery in place of the battery in your new car? Not me, thanks.
Is massive loss of range due to continual fast charging covered by warranty?

Quick change batteries for e-vehicles.. unlikely imo. Until we get some alien technology anyways.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
It's not 'massive loss'. A few percent over several years. The fast chargers slow to a trickle above ~80% to minimize it.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, I agree, I think quick change battery packs were talked about 20+ years ago and discarded as impractical just in the logistics and time it would take to do it, nothing "quick" about it, lol
Not to mention how many battery packs you would have to have on hand at a "filling station", remember each battery pack would take 6-8 hours to recharge, so you swap one out and its no good for 6-8 hours
Talk about "energy shortage" line ups at "stations" between LA and Vegas, lol, they would be LONG

People are already use to say a 10min "fill up" so that's probably what to shoot for in electric vehicles
Plugging in at home or at work for a slow charge is not a deal breaker in my opinion, not having to change the oil, spark plugs and filters more than makes up for the simple act of plugging in an electrical cord, and many in northern climates have to do that all winter in any case, lol

But having the option for a fast charge, in 10min, would be a real benefit to get more people into electric vehicles
I like the idea of the supercapacitors as "part" of the charging system, they can take a fast charge without issues, i.e. no memory, and they can slow charge the battery pack if vehicle is parked after "filling up" or power can be used to extend range

Specific use vehicles have specific needs so saying "well they can't go 300miles back into the bush" is a non-starter in my opinion
My Ranger can't haul a 10,000pound trailer up the Grapevine either, but I still bought it and enjoy driving it :)
Despite this shortcoming

Last edited:

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
It's not 'massive loss'. A few percent over several years. The fast chargers slow to a trickle above ~80% to minimize it.
Car and driver tested a tesla for 40k miles, lots of fast charging, and lost around 30 miles of range by the time they were done with the car iirc.

Not to mention, that using a tesla fast charger apparently (according to the article) equates to paying about 9$ a gallon lol.

Were not ready for the jump to mass scale electric vehicles. "Advancement" doesn't mean inconvenience and steps backwards in capability.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Got a link? Because $9 a gallon smells like a made up number.

DeathRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 and 2019
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 L 4 cyl ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
This is my Ranger. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Car and driver tested a tesla for 40k miles, lots of fast charging, and lost around 30 miles of range by the time they were done with the car iirc.

Not to mention, that using a tesla fast charger apparently (according to the article) equates to paying about 9$ a gallon lol.

Were not ready for the jump to mass scale electric vehicles. "Advancement" doesn't mean inconvenience and steps backwards in capability.
My experience. 100k miles on a tesla model 3 dual motor long range in 2 years.
My maintenance costs are $302. $300 to replace both UCA's just last week, and $2 for washer fluid. No oil changes and the brakes are still brand new, good for at least another 100k miles.

Superchargers have been used alot with this vehicle but the majority of charging is at my house overnight.
This car is beat and treated like the tool it is. It may be a Tesla, but it's treated like a Civic. It has 1 purpose, get from A to B while costing the least amount possible.

Had 300 mile range brand new. currently it gets about 270 on max charge. so about 1% battery loss in 2 years.

If you figure 75kw charge up or about about 250miles range
Charging at home overnight costs me about .11/kwh which would cost $8
Charging at Supercharger cost varies but near me it's about .24/kwh which would cost about $18

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals