• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Just saw this

Cees Klumper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Swapping the battery in a hybrid Escape or Fusion takes way more than 2 minutes.
That's because they are not modular. Like on your cordless drill. I think oil/gas station comoanies will advocate for this but, yes, we will need more electricity generation, whether in the home or office or elsewhere.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Yes, but it doesn't have to. They can easily change the design to be modular. They had an electric race truck run in either Baja or Dakar a couple years ago and they put spare battery packs in the chase truck and just swapped them out real quick on the side of the trail.
The race trucks didn't have to meet the crash standards or satisfy the style folks. We can't even have visible screw heads in interiors anymore and engines have plastic covers to hide the mechanical stuff.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
See my edit about the practical/legal issues...

DeathRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 and 2019
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 L 4 cyl ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
This is my Ranger. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
I don't think charging is complicated. If anything it's easier than fueling with gas.

You take 1 second when you get home, plug in car, wake up in morning and car is full and ready to go. 300 miles would cost about me $5-$8 in electricity max, and closer to $0 because I have my own solar panels.

The only time this takes some thought is long drives, but we've taken the electric car on multiple 1000 mile roads trips starting in Kansas and been to Pennsylvania, Texas, and Nevada. never had any issues with charging or even worried.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
It's not complicated to plug in, but it's certainly a logistical complication if you're going on longer trips. Less so with Tesla because the battery packs are smaller than the Rivian will have and their charging network is further developed.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I couldn't find any info on the webs, but I remember seeing on TV, that GM had a modular design for something like this. ( EV-1, ?) They showed the "car" back up to a lift, it lifted the rear of the car, the "motor" detached and was swapped out, less than 5 minutes.
but I did find this.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I still wanna know how you can swap in a major component on a car like that without issues of reliability and warranty unless these "swaps" only happen by the dealer.

You go to bobs discount battery swap station and end up with a defective battery that sets the car on fire, who's paying that bill? Plus you are not swapping a $50 part. These batteries are tens of thousands of dollars. How do you know you didn't just give away your brand new 20k battery for a Chinese knock off?

While it's physically possible, just seems like a lot of grey areas in the legal, financial, and practical department when it comes to folks swapping out batteries.

DeathRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 and 2019
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 L 4 cyl ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I think battery swaps are not useful for the US. They might make more sense for rented or leased vehicles. How would you feel if instead of charging your phone, you were given someone else's phone battery...hell no.

You lose quite a bit of useful space designing the car to be able to swap batteries, then you lose space in the battery building it in a protective case to easily slide into the car. Every inch is needed for battery space and density.
What happens if the connection pins between battery and car don't contact correctly? Who ever got their NES game catridge to fit perfect every time?

Electricity is already in just about every building in the US, adding chargers may have some complications but much easier than building battery stations everywhere.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't think swapping out "standardized" battery packs will catch on, because of ALL the reasons mentioned

I think we will see more on the supercapacitors(Ultracapacitors) as they are perfected
These can take a charge, basically as fast as the electrical feed can provide it, so very fast charging

I think there would be a trade off in Range
500mile range battery only 6 hour charge
200mile range battery only 4 hour charge, +200miles capacitor 10min charge, 400mile total

So you lose a bit of range but trade off is time to recharge if in a hurry
And the capacitor would recharge batteries when vehicle was parked, so quick charge to "fill up" capacitor again

I would say 80% of people(probably more) drive less than 200miles a day, so moot point for most
And you can rent a liquid fuel vehicle for longer trips

Last edited:

DeathRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 and 2019
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 L 4 cyl ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I don't think swapping out "standardized" battery packs will catch on, because of ALL the reasons mentioned

I think we will see more on the supercapacitors(Ultracapacitors) as they are perfected
These can take a charge, basically as fast as the electrical feed can provide it, so very fast charging

I think there would be a trade off in Range
500mile range battery only 6 hour charge
200mile range battery only 4 hour charge, +200miles capacitor 10min charge, 400mile total

So you lose a bit of range but trade off is time to recharge if in a hurry
And the capacitor would recharge batteries when vehicle was parked, so quick charge to "fill up" capacitor again
Tesla tech on the new refreshed Model S is charging at 1000mph

so if they had a 500mile range battery (max right now is 420miles), that's only 30 minutes to charge at a supercharger.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, but 10min would be more acceptable to most as that's the time they spend now at a "gas station" after going inside to get a bottle of water and a Snickers bars, lol

Seems like every month electric is getting more viable for 80% of the driving public

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
My truck only gets 300 miles per tank anyway. 200 miles with a 10 minute charge time wouldn't bother me at all even for longer trips IF the charging stations were common enough to not be spending half the trip tracking them down.

I can only do about 750 miles in one day anyway so with a 500 mile initial charge, and a 10 minute follow up charge that'd get me were I need to go for the night and then do an overnight charge.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I agree with all of that. And the Tesla system is definitely at the point where it would work for my needs on most trips. But the Rivian can't charge at Tesla's supercharger speeds, so you're either a) waiting on Rivian's network to build out, or b) waiting on the Supercharger to charge a bigger pack at a slower rate than a Tesla car. So that 30 minute charge on a Model S could be 2 hours on the truck.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Itll never happen but these companies should work together to make the charging systems universal to all EV's....

I don't go to a special gas station to get Ford gasoline, I should'nt need a special station to get Rivian electricity...

But a collaborative network of universal charging stations wouldn't be profitable.

DeathRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 and 2019
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 L 4 cyl ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
The charging network is key to any of these vehicles being viable.

Rivian is working on their own Adventure Network but that will take awhile to build out.

Otherwise the 25k+ level 2 chargers like chargepoint or electrify america will work but only add about 25 miles per hour.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals