• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

just put Bronco II back together, some thing isn't right

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
it won't start. I can jump it over with a screw driver and it will start but it will not start with a key. It started before I took it apart. What I did was replace the M5OD with one out of a '94 4.0 Ranger, and replace the electric transfer case with a manual from a '94 Explorer. I removed the 4x4 switches, harness, and control module.

Other things you should know -
By accident, I ended up with a '93 slave cylinder. Since I destroyed my clutch line taking the transmission out anyway, I bought a new master cylinder from a 93+ model. I used the clutch switch from the new master cylinder. The plugs are the same between the 93 and the 90, but I don't know if it's electrically the same.

<Deleted Reference to unplugged connector that is in fact supposed to be unplugged>

Hopefully someone around here is intimately familiar with these electrical systems. I've looked at some diagrams on TRS Tech but only found that the starting system is really simple, and there's not much it could be other than the ignition switch and the clutch switch.

HELP!!!

Last edited:

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
First - it won't start. I can jump it over with a screw driver and it will start but it will not start with a key. It started before I took it apart.

Some things you should know -
By accident, I ended up with a '93 slave cylinder. Since I destroyed my clutch line taking the transmission out anyway, I bought a new master cylinder from a 93+ model. I used the clutch switch from the new master cylinder. The plugs are the same between the 93 and the 90, but I don't know if it's electrically the same.

Also, there are four electrical plugs on top of the driver side inner fender, just in front and below the brake master cylinder. They clip to the inner fender. I had unplugged them to make room for the clutch MC install. When I went to plug them back in, only 3 of them have plugs to mate with. I do not remember if I unplugged the fourth one or not, and looking inside it, it appears dusty like it wasn't plugged in. It has two wires, one solid light blue and the other light blue with a dark (black?) stripe. Anybody know what this is for?

Hopefully someone around here is intimately familiar with these electrical systems, or maybe someone can point me in the direction of some REAL wiring diagrams. I have a haynes manual that is about as useful as toilet paper.

HELP!!!
I believe the connector your referring too is for the dummy lights if you have a manual transfer case.

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I believe the connector your referring too is for the dummy lights if you have a manual transfer case.
That's right, I was just coming to edit my post and eliminate that from the equation. I guess that leaves me with the clutch switch, but I still just don't get how that would be any different from 90 to 93, especially with the plug being the same.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Have you tried bypassing the switch?

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Have you tried bypassing the switch?
my first plan of action when I get home from work.

I ran out of daylight yesterday and I need to clean up all the scattered tools and gallon of used coolant and 15 year old ATF off the floor before I can get back in there for night working.

It's killing me being cooped up in an office here when i've got a beautiful day outside and a BII in my driveway.

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
figured it out - not an electrical problem.

The snapring that holds the MC together was oriented in such a way that the rod was striking the ends about 1/2" before the pedal hit the floor. I spun ring around so the rod wouldn't hit them, and now the clutch will go all the way to the floor and close the switch.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals