• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Just picked up my second Ranger EV

ajbessinger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger EV
Engine Size
Electric!
Transmission
Automatic
EDIT: This truck is now for sale. I originally got ahold of it to use for parts, but it's just too complete and in good shape to tear apart. So, I've listed it up for $2,500. As stated, it needs new batteries. I did find an onboard charger to go under the hood though, as well as an original charge port door/cover. Feel free to get in touch if you are interested!

Picked up this 1998 Ranger EV earlier today for free! It was originally destined to be a company truck for a materials testing lab, but ended up sitting for the past 3-4 years. It needs new batteries (I’ll be doing a lithium swap) and some other work, but since I have two trucks, one will likely end up becoming a parts rig...
Hoping to get one of these up and running before the end of the year!

Video of the truck on my YouTube channel:

052F7835-CCC1-46DB-856C-BE7DEB14E9BB.jpeg

CCE8BE79-97A5-4C48-9B86-9BFAF99422A3.jpeg

09626B72-4BBC-4058-BD23-BDE904C257DF.jpeg

1448C7FD-4D11-46DA-8694-42A6D7544E1C.jpeg

Last edited:

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Those rear axles always intrigued me.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i am patiently waiting for fords new electric trucks to come out....

cant wait to make a super ranger.

ajbessinger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger EV
Engine Size
Electric!
Transmission
Automatic
Those rear axles always intrigued me.
Here's a closeup! It's a de-dion suspension setup. Kinda think of it as a cross between solid axle and independent suspension... The motor is attached to the frame, with half-shafts going out to the wheels. The "axle tube" just acts as a structural member to attach the wheels to the leaf springs.
I took this pic on my other truck (a white 2000 model). The red 98" I just picked up has a slightly different setup, with carbon fiber mono-leafs instead of traditional steel leaf springs, and it also has a watts linkage to keep the rear end centered since the mono-leafs don't have very much lateral support... There's a closeup of that suspension in my video I just uploaded I think...

1999Mazda Central Florida

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
Tire Size
Michelin LTX M/S P235-75R15
I didn't know Ford was doing these experiments...with the good old Ranger to boot. Thanks for sharing and will be watching. I'm working on a boat and am looking at the FireFly batteries (foam core AGM.) The l The lithuium is probably ideal for the truck though. Man those Lithiums are expensive$$:oops:

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
i am patiently waiting for fords new electric trucks to come out....

cant wait to make a super ranger.

There's also a 200 ft/lb aftermarket wheel hub motor kit available for crown vic, and a transfer case tailshaft motor kit out there somewhere.

The hybrid kits are already here. I've considered the transfer case one a few times. They claim 50+ mpg on the highway with a F350, so what can it do to my sh*tbox?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
The bi di sumos and cooling capacity in class 3 had my attention...but then hub motors got better

ajbessinger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger EV
Engine Size
Electric!
Transmission
Automatic
Just thought it would be worth mentioning here, I just put this truck up for sale. I was originally planning on using this one as a parts truck, but it's pretty complete and in good shape, so I can't bring myself to tear it apart, and I certainly don't need two of these things...
If nobody buys it as is, I might fix it up first to sell, and put the money towards my other truck. If anybody is interested either way, let me know! I'm asking $2,500 for it as it sits.

Last edited:

Elfiero

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have heard of these unicorns, but never seen one with my own eyes. Are they mainly a Cali thing?

jbeach3101

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
flipped rear shackles
Tire Size
265/45/18
I have heard of these unicorns, but never seen one with my own eyes. Are they mainly a Cali thing?
i know im a year late, but the big three all had their own EV's in the early 2000's. A lot of americans actually loved them, but the funding from the government was lessened and the manufacturers actually started taking the cars back and crushing them immediately. I learned about it in my high school auto class.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
That is just plain awesome. Only thing that sucks is lots of specialty parts

ajbessinger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger EV
Engine Size
Electric!
Transmission
Automatic
i know im a year late, but the big three all had their own EV's in the early 2000's. A lot of americans actually loved them, but the funding from the government was lessened and the manufacturers actually started taking the cars back and crushing them immediately. I learned about it in my high school auto class.
It actually wasn't government funding that ended. There were a few factors in play, but the biggest was the fact that the automakers got the California Air Resources Board (CARB) to repeal the Zero Emission Vehicle (ZEV) mandate.

In 1996, CARB (after seeing GMs EV1 which they had unveiled a few years prior) created the the ZEV mandate in response to terrible pollution in metropolitan areas like LA.

Starting in 1998, all major auto manufacturers had to make zero emission vehicles available to the public if they wanted to sell cars in California (as well as some other states that follow CARB rules). There was huge backlash from the automakers, but they complied. GM of course offered the EV1, as well as the S10 EV. Ford had the Ranger EV, Toyota had the (first generation) Rav4 EV, Honda had the EV+, etc.

After years of pushback however, CARB gave in to the automakers and repealed the ZEV mandate in 2003. Almost immediately, lease customers started receiving notices that their cars would need to be turned in, and cars started disappearing.

Some activists learned that the disappearing cars were being sent to remote sites to be destroyed and it sparked quite a movement to try and save the cars. In the case of the Ranger (as well as the Rav4 EV) their efforts were partially successful and they managed to save a few hundred of each.

There's a really neat documentary about all this called "Who Killed the Electric Car". It mainly focuses on the GM EV1, but it really is quite an interesting documentary, its free on Amazon prime, and you may even be able to watch it on YouTube as well? It also has a sequel, filmed in the late 00s called "Revenge of the Electric Car".

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals