• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Just picked this up a couple weeks ago.

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
Transmission
Manual
I ran into a kid who was trying to get rid of his 2005 Ninja 250 a couple of weeks ago, he tells me that he just finished paying off his loan on the thing and wants to just sell it because the motor is shot and he can't fix it cheap. He says he'll take $1000 for it and being that it only has 2600 miles on it I grabbed it up anyway since it's not hard to find a cheap running 250 motor on ebay. I get the thing home only to find out that there is an EXTRA GALLON of oil on top of the 1.9 liters that's supposed to be in there! Drained and filled to correct capacity and it's ran perfect for the 300 miles that i've put on it already.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Sweet deal dude, Looks like you'll have some fun with that.:3gears::stirthepot:

I am looking at a 01 blue ext. cab ranger with a manual 5 spd. 4.0L 4x4 with a non starting engine for a 1,000$. Hoping its a simple ish problem like that.

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
Transmission
Manual
I am looking at a 01 blue ext. cab ranger with a manual 5 spd. 4.0L 4x4 with a non starting engine for a 1,000$. Hoping its a simple ish problem like that.
Even if you have to sink another 1000 into it I do believe you'd still be under half of what the poor book value is. AND even if you needed a whole motor for the thing i'm sure you could get a used motor shipped right to your door for less than 1000. As far as the bike goes, I looked around and saw that a 2000+ ninja 250 sells in my area for close to $2500 and figured it was a chance to buy a bike that I wouldn't lose money on if I sold it a year or two later. I could sell it now and probably double my money but where's the fun in that?

Buckeyes903

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 (140)
Transmission
Manual
Hey nice bike! I was looking at a 250 ninja just for a toss around bike, how does it do on the highway? Fairly quick I take it? I currently have a 07 HD dyna with the 96ci engine, so its a little bigger then the 250...haha

engdept

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Those are awesome bikes. They get around 50mpg and are extremely fun to ride!

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
Transmission
Manual
Actually over the first 200 miles I got 64mpg average. On the highway there is only one downfall, the bike is too light. I took it on the interstate and it seems okay if you just do 65mph and avoid passing any large trucks, but once you bring up the speed and try to pass something big it just tries to take you all over the place and it got me tired very fast trying to keep the thing in a straight line. Also i'm probably gonna replace the stock windshield with a slightly longer one or a bubble type one since it's so hard to keep my head inside the slipstream on the highway without making sweet love to the gas tank. As far as power it has NO low end torque, but once you get the thing revved up towards 10k it's pretty surprising. Me and some of my friends tried real hard to get the front end to come up off of the ground but even standing on the passenger pegs wouldn't do the trick. The rear suspension is way too soft and it just wants to bottom out the rear every time you whack the throttle, but from what i've found out I can get a Ninja 500 shock which is adjustable/stiffer and it will bolt right up. For an around-town bike which may see occasional highway use it's not bad at all.

falcon57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Wow! I had a guy come to me while I was working on a car and told me his daughter blew the engine and oil ect ect I got the couple bucks he wanted figuring a new engine and all I did was change the watery oil from sitting so long.. 4 year old car 28,000 mi! for two bills! There's all kinds of genius out there!

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
Transmission
Manual
It kind of feels like you're taking advantage of people when stuff like that happens. If your conscience kicks in you just have to keep telling yourself that you played no part in their stupidity. My Ranger was bought out of an act of stupidity. All of the fluid leaked out of the trans through the shift rail plugs and the guy drove it until total carnage occured. He takes it to a garage and they tell him it's going to be $2500 for a rebuilt trans installed. I even offered to sell the guy a tranny and install it for a total price of $650 and told him i'd even throw in a new clutch if he just paid for the parts but he just wanted to get rid of it and get a car for a daily driver. I offered him 500 and he didn't even think twice before agreeing to it. Keep in mind it's a 94 Ranger 4x4 with a 6 inch skyjacker lift, 33 inch tires which had like 3/4 tread on them, and no rust at all. I honestly think that all of the nice looking stuff that I own was bought cheap due to other people's stupidity.

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
Nice deal and find. Can't go wrong for $1000. And a gallon of oil :icon_surprised:. WOW. My little KLX250s only takes 1.5qts.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
omg you bought a girls bike. thats funny. whats are you like 16? thats funny. really it is. i could take the chain off my quad and still beat you in a race.

you are an ass and a thread crapper. I am going to start asking for your banishment.

good score btw

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Good score!

There are some idiots out there...I got my bike for 700$, the guy said it didn't run, well I put in some new plugs and she fired right up! :)

edit: Jared, your an ass, like previously mentioned. Oh, what do you ride, something with 4 wheels that stands up on it's own? Yeah, real non-girly. You chach. :D

Last edited:

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
That is a fantastic deal.

And that dirtball that insulted him needs some manners.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
how do you guys find this shit? the only score like that I made was on a 93 saturn SL2 for $200, all it needed was a new CPS.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Nice find. Call it what you want, if it gets the job done right, it's the right tool for the job. I use a Rebel 250 as often as possible that I bought about a month ago for $1000. It's no liter bike, but it'll cruise at 75 all day long if you need it to.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals