• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Just noticed a sale on Torsen units...

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've never used a Torsen...
My understanding is they never wear out.
They come with different built in bias so have different amounts of "slip" when cornering.
They don't work if one tire has no traction. E.g.; up in air, one tire on ice.
I bought one for my race truck. Haven't installed it yet so can't give a real world opinion.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
It depends on your point of view. Torsen units don't have clutch packs that wear out and don't require an additive in order to operate correctly. Since my 2011 axles have open carriers to play with, I have a clean slate to decide what I want. If yours is working ok, it might not be worth your time and money until it no longer works right. I'm tossing around the idea of installing a T2R in my rear axle over a locker because they play a bit better on snow covered pavement. The down side is that they don't have the positive lock up of a locker. Lockers can be down right squirrelly on ice and snow though. Next thing you know, you are facing the way you came.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I've never used a Torsen...
My understanding is they never wear out.
They come with different built in bias so have different amounts of "slip" when cornering.
They don't work if one tire has no traction. E.g.; up in air, one tire on ice.
I bought one for my race truck. Haven't installed it yet so can't give a real world opinion.
I've seen two ratios. T2 is 2.5:1 and T2R is 4:1. I've been told that some of the L/S limitations can be overcome with some brake application and be darn near as good as a locker.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I've seen two ratios. T2 is 2.5:1 and T2R is 4:1. This is if I'm remembering what the Torsen web site posted as specifications correctly. I've been told that some of the L/S limitations can be overcome with some brake application and be darn near as good as a locker.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Yes, applying brakes does help the Torsen to act more like a locker but I find acceleration also helps it to act more like a locker. Unfortunately, you can only accelerate just so much before you get going too fast. It works well for short term traction though. Torsen can't beat a locker for slow speed steady action but it doesn't have some of the negative aspects either.

Retroboy1989

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
FWIW the FX4 torsen is preloaded which seems to be a somewhat unique feature to this model, so it will function to some degree with one tire in the air/ice.

Preloaded Torsen Type-2 differential for Ford Ranger FX4 (Level 2) with 31-spline 8.8” rear axle.

It takes far more effort to turn the tires (counter rotate) with the rear axle in the air and the driveline locked than it did with the open diff. That resistance should be multiplied by the bias ratio to the opposite wheel if one wheel experiences zero traction.

I went from an open to the torsen, so I really had no downside either way. Maybe a little more tire wear to overcome the preload in normal cornering? So far 200 miles on the new torsen with all positive results.

Last edited:

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
I have had a Torsen in the rear since new, and it works so well on the road in snow/ ice, I got a Torsen for the front diff. Absolutely would do again.

If you plan on building something for dedicated off road use, go with a locker in the rear. But if your truck will be spending a majority of time on the road, the Torsen can't be beat. The road manners of the Torsen are great.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Screw it - I ordered one.

Seems ridiculous to spend money on this when my truck doesn't even have an engine in it, but this price won't last forever.

Retroboy1989

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A little update on this. My Torsen now has about 600 miles on it. I have loved it. It really shines in partial traction situations like turning into traffic from a stop with wet roads. It's actually kind of fun to get on the gas and feel it hookup with no wheelspin.

In the snow, it changes the behavior of the truck. It is far easier to fish tail, but it is manageable. It does get the truck rolling in the snow in 2wd when before I wouldn't have been able to move. It really augments 4x4 performance as well.

300 miles after installation, I noticed a growl and vibration in the floorboards. I waited until 500 miles and I pulled the whole thing apart again and found everything was tight and smooth. There were more metal filings on the magnets than I would have liked, but they were very, very fine. I assume the Torsen sheds alot when new as it is designed to have internal friction. I refilled with new 75w-140 synthetic. Valvoline includes LS modifier, although it is not needed on a Torsen.

Long story short, the growl was a combination of a bad front wheel bearing and uneven tire wear on the inside from bad lower ball joints. The timing was just so suspect that my mind jumped to the logical conclusion that I had messed up the rear end.

Anyway, I know this is a Ranger forum and most have 28 splines, but for you expo swap guys, this is a cool upgrade.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals