• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Just got into reloading

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
I'll have to throw up some pictures, but I recently got some reloading equipment from my grandpa and I'm going to start reloading.
I've already done about 10 rounds to get things warmed up and to know what I'm doing.
I have about 100 rounds of .45 acp I plan to reload, using Unique powder at about 5.8 grains. Its a 230grain bullet so I plan to have about 800fps. Anyways its really alot of fun and I'll try to branch out and to other calibers.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
My first advice is don't get into a trap I see many newb reloaders get into.

That is using a specific powder because it "Burns clean", Unique is about as versatile as a propellant gets.

I have a Dillon RL550 progressive press and have one powder measure set to deliver 3.4 grains of unique which I use in many different cartridges ranging from 9mm through 45ACP and 38spl and 44spl with cast bullets.

This same powder measure setting also delivers ~4.7 grains of RedDot

Another thing you should do is ONCE intentionally put a double charge of propellant into a cartridge case IF it fits either use a larger charge or use a different propellant.

Be sure to DUMP this case after your test.

I will personally not use a propellant charge that can potentially fit twice in a case, because there is no better way to turn an expensive firearm into a rapidly expanding cloud of energetic fragments

96firephoenix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I too just got into reloading... I'm currently sitting next to my tumbler with about 1000 clean 9mm shells and 150 of .38 in the bowl.

I've got a Lee reloading press, currently with dies/turrets for 9mm Luger and .38/357. Got the auto-disk powder loader and a primer feeder on it.

There's a gun show out here in a couple weeks, so I'll be picking up some supplies like primers and bullets... I"m good on powder for a 1-2000 rounds

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
My first advice is don't get into a trap I see many newb reloaders get into.

That is using a specific powder because it "Burns clean", Unique is about as versatile as a propellant gets.

I have a Dillon RL550 progressive press and have one powder measure set to deliver 5.4 grains of unique which I use in many different cartridges ranging from 9mm through 45ACP and 38spl and 44spl with cast bullets.

This same powder measure setting also delivers ~4.7 grains of RedDot

Another thing you should do is ONCE intentionally put a double charge of propellant into a cartridge case IF it fits either use a larger charge or use a different propellant.

Be sure to DUMP this case after your test.

I will personally not use a propellant charge that can potentially fit twice in a case, because there is no better way to turn an expensive firearm into a rapidly expanding cloud of energetic fragments
I decided to keep it at 5.4. That seems to work well.

Last edited by a moderator:

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
So, I'm using .45 230g LRN bullets. It says the oal should be 1.270, but after doing a bunch of reloads it turned out to be 1.250-1.270. The old military brass and the inconsistent bullets made them range a bit. From what I understand as long as it stays between 1.190 and 2.275 it should be fine? And 1.250-1.260 is the best for feeding.

Last edited:

Charlie Cheap

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011, 2016, 196
Make / Model
Ford, Ford, Sun
Engine Size
2.3, 1.6, 2.3, 200
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Be nice, you may need help later!
I have been reloading for decades and have my own range. It is addictive on cold winter days and one can spend hours reading recipes and figuring out energy, velocity, powder charges, bullet weight & diameters, etc. so enjoy but stay safe FIRST! I am a retired police department armorer who returned an officers gun one day and the next he was forced to use that gun to kill a man to save his partner. We sometimes forget our vehicles are just as dangerous and kill more each year in the US than guns! Stay safe!

craveman85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008, 1981
Make / Model
ford, AMC
Engine Size
2.3l, 2.5
Transmission
Manual
Don't be fooled by people telling you reloading will save money. You just shoot 2-5x more. I started with the whack a mole Lee loader kit in 45-70 and now I do .243 win, .44-40, .44 mag, .357, .30/06, .270, .30/30, .32 rem. Yeah rem not win., .32 win special, and .375 h&h. I'd hate to spend 60$ minimum a box on the .375. My loads for that cost me 1.56 each compared to 90-120 for comparable factory loads. It's also twice as exciting bagging a buck with something you developed, assembled and tested yourself.

Carlos Murphy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I usta reload .45LC, 800 FPS when I shot SASS matches (cowboy action shooting, hence my alias Carlos Murphy).
Gets somewhat monotonous after a while but rewarding when you see the 50 rnd. boxes start to stack up.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals