• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Just bought this Ranger. First time maintenance

Ford4Lif3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi Guys/Gals!

So long story short, I had a beautiful 08 lifted f-150 FX4 all blacked out on 35’s. 185k on the odo and parts and pieces were starting to show their age and miles.
Transmission, Rebuilt Rear end, and much more...so I got rid of it.

Anyways, JUST bought this truck tonight and on the test drive and the way home I noticed some things of course and running a little rough. So, I just want to do a whole tune up and check all fluids yadda yadda ya! It has a new clutch!

I was hoping maybe y’all could just spit some ideas my way of things to check and possibly replace to make her run better that I may or may not be forgetting. It’s been one hell of a week so I appreciate any help or feedback whatsoever! She’s old but has potential!!!

It is a 1985 Ford Ranger 2.3L 5spd 4x4 150k

Already thinking Oil change, Plugs, air filter, oil pressure sending unit (sensor or whatever YOU want to call it), and I know there is more I can’t think of right this minute. Maybe injectors to?

So any ideas or advice would be much appreciated! Mainly bought to be my temp work truck but I’m really becoming fond of this ranger the first day having it, I’d like it to keep on running strong if possible!

Thanks!

Last edited:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
You don't see many of these Gen 1's for sale anymore.

Aside from whatever you have to do to get it running right... I would spend some time looking around underneath the beast. It's 33 years old and rust is not your friend. Inspect the frame, leaf spring and suspension brackets, brake lines and body mount brackets. Also, all the rubber parts found in those same areas.

All the specs and pretty much all of the common repairs you will need can be found right here on this site.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
If you don't have maintenance records, I would go over everything. Lube everything that can be lubed and change all the fluids and filters. The rough running could be a simple as spark plugs, ignition wires, or the distributor cap and rotor. I would give the brakes a complete look at, especially the caliber slider pins as well. Assume nothing and look at everything.

JamesH

Reaction score
If you don't have maintenance records, I would go over everything. Lube everything that can be lubed and change all the fluids and filters. The rough running could be a simple as spark plugs, ignition wires, or the distributor cap and rotor. I would give the brakes a complete look at, especially the caliber slider pins as well. Assume nothing and look at everything.
Yup, I do used car safety inspections a lot at my dealership, or have customers bring in cars they are buying private party and have us look at them. Just assume everything he told you is a lie to get your money, go over truck with a fine tooth comb bumper to bumper. And just cause they said the clutch is new, doesn't mean it's wasn't done half assed, or the cheapest parts on the planet, be fair warned.. Good luck, and keep her running strong.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals