• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Just bought it!

4th ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hi.......I just registered here...I just bought Ranger #4 after driving a Chevrolet for 3 yrs.I picked up a 2002 XLT 2.3 liter with 50000 miles thats mint.I had 3.0 rangers before.......Anything I need to know or worry about in the 2.3? Thanks!

Zapp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
kinda a slow forum, wouldn't ya say? congrats!
best I can tell from snooping here and there, its a very durable, competent little power plant.
I'm trying to buy an 01 XLT 2.3 ... doing homework. all looks good.
much better MPG than Toyota et al, and enough power for farm work [I read that on the Edmunds forum]

4th ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yea Ive read alot of good news about this motor so far...It winter here in ohio and I cant go over the truck yet but as soon as it clears its tune up and cleaning time lol
So far I like the truck...runs pretty good ! I need to get some pics up here soon as I detail it too!

grey ghost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i currently own a 2004, 2.3 liter 5 speed 2 wheel drive regular cab and i love this truck..it's my 5th ranger i've owned. i get around 29-30 mpg with it if i babby it and don't let it idle much.

the onlt complaint i have is that i wish i would have gotten the extended cab{ my own stupidity } other than that i've had no major problems with any of them..just normal wear items ,,no big deal

i wish you the best of luck with it and if you want to know anything don't be afraid to ask..:icon_cheers:

Zapp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Me Too! Dittos

Picking mine up tomorrow at noon [monday].
2001 build 4/01 with the 2.3L Duratec married to a 5-speed. Stretch-cab XLT :icon_thumby:
It ain't the purtiest color I ever saw [champagne?] but it'll do for my utilitarian purposes.

Very impressed with the feel of that motor/drivetrain. that sold me.

Now I'm anxious to do some Farkle-shopping. Bed rails... running boards. Need to look into wheels/tires for a little taller stance, and I'm going seat-shopping. Surely there's a comfortable sport-seat out there somewhere. Wish I could bolt-in a seat like my 04 Camry has - that would be so uber comfy. I hear that either on this forum or that 'other' one, there's a sticky somewhere that covers seat choices. Easy to remove/replace - just watchout for the airbag wire harness.

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 & 2001
Make / Model
Ford & Dodge
Engine Size
2.3L & 5.9 24v Cummins
Transmission
Automatic
If the 02' is the same as the 08' 2.3 duratec you will be very satisfied with gas mileage. Even with 33" tires it has not caused my truck to be the least bit sluggish.

jax4bangin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
great white, are u running the stock rear end gears(3.73)? im prolly gonna get some 30" bfg's and to keep a near stock ratio i wud have to run 4.10's

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 & 2001
Make / Model
Ford & Dodge
Engine Size
2.3L & 5.9 24v Cummins
Transmission
Automatic
yeah I have stock with 33's so you definetly should be alright with 30's.

jax4bangin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
good to know thanks.. hey jus lettin ya know if dont already, there is a speed calculator on the tech library for seein wat ur speed is after a tire change. its pretty rad:icon_thumby:

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 & 2001
Make / Model
Ford & Dodge
Engine Size
2.3L & 5.9 24v Cummins
Transmission
Automatic
seriously I really appreciate you telling me that because I REALLY need it. POLICE:annoyed:

jax4bangin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
haha no prob.. yea dude ur 65 is prolly like almost 80!!

jax4bangin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ha i jus checked and if u had 225/70/15 tires and now 33" ur 65 is 79.somethin. haha u get a speeding ticket yet?

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 & 2001
Make / Model
Ford & Dodge
Engine Size
2.3L & 5.9 24v Cummins
Transmission
Automatic
No and really happy I haven't, because if you have ever been to traffic court you don't want to ever drive a vehicle in this state again just for the fright of being there having to waste 2-3 hours of your life and have to pay some stupid fine !

MikeInIdaho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
haha isn't it great to be going what you think is the posted speed limit and you're just flying past everyone?

Here in Idaho, traffic violations are handled in the criminal courts. It was a trip the first time I went to court for a traffic infraction. There were something like 10 or 15 other hearings before the judge got to me, people getting sentenced for assault, robbery and other serious crimes and I'm here to pay a traffic ticket. When I went to the courthouse to pay my fine after getting the ticket, I asked the clerk how much it would cost and she goes "oh no, you have a hearing on such and such a date." What a total fucking waste of everyone's time and money.

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 & 2001
Make / Model
Ford & Dodge
Engine Size
2.3L & 5.9 24v Cummins
Transmission
Automatic
Amen to that couldnt agree with you more, you would think the government would want to collect you cash as fast as possible because the faster they collect the faster they can waste it. "700 bill econ bailout!"

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals