• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Just bought a new 4.0L

Firebird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
good call. thats a bad throttle position sensor. any of your local parts stores should be able to get one for you at a reasonable price. unplugging it should have tripped the CEL...which means your truck is now running in open loop. it'll hurt your power, mileage, and overall dirveability.

your right about the differential being removable from the main housing. thats the easiest way to swap in new gears. you need to match them with the gears that are already in the truck, however, or else your 4wd will be very much useless. if you have the passenger side beam that matches the drivers side one (pictured), then it should have a large plastic sticker on it that will tell you the gear ratio. if not, you'll have to pull the diff. off and count the teeth.

to determine the current ratio in the truck, you can read the axle code off the drivers door sticker and compair it to the codes in the tech library.

Thanks for your input. It did trip the CEL light right away. I will try to pick one up this weekend.

As for the diff, I had no idea it would be this easy. The truck was previously in an accident that bent the front driver side control arm, and rather than replace that they replaced the entire front axle, but with the wrong gear ratio. The one in the bed that I posted pictures of is the original. I looked at the page in your signature and saw this http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/526000-526999/526265_73_full.jpg
how do I strip it down to this point? Can I do this with the front axle still in the truck? I just looked at it but didn't see a way to pop the axles out. Is there a write up to do it this way, or can you walk me through it? I very much appreciate the info, I bought this truck to be my 4X4 winter truck(I live in colorado) and as a good work truck that can off road as can take on hunting trips.

I got it pretty cheap, but it defiantly needs some work. This is my first ford(ive been a GM guy until now) and I am kind of lost.

Firebird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Edit: Didn't mean to double post.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Unplugging the TPS puts the computer into limp mode which can mask a large number of problems, many of them unrelated. CELs can be tripped by wiring (very easily). Confirm the TPS is bad. It's just a standard potentiometer. You should get 0V at one pin, 5V at another (both all the time), and a varying signal on the third. Open the throttle and make sure the signal is smooth and never drops out. If it passes the last test, the TPS is good. If it fails either of the first two, the fault is in wiring (even if it also blows the last test).

Voltage tests should be performed fully assembled. Probe the wires with straight pins and be very careful not to short them together.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
getting the differential out of the truck with the axle beams in place is possible...but not very much fun. you have to remove both spindles. once you crawl under the truck, you'll probably see what needs to be done. if not, i can give you more exact directions.

if you plan on keeping the truck for a while, you might consider getting yourself a chiltons manual for it. it'll help you out with a lot of mild/moderate repair jobs.

Firebird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
getting the differential out of the truck with the axle beams in place is possible...but not very much fun. you have to remove both spindles. once you crawl under the truck, you'll probably see what needs to be done. if not, i can give you more exact directions.

if you plan on keeping the truck for a while, you might consider getting yourself a chiltons manual for it. it'll help you out with a lot of mild/moderate repair jobs.
If you could give me instructions, that would be very appreciated. I have done much more intensive auto projects, but I am pretty new to trucks and have never done much with drive lines besides replace a few clutches.

I can see most of what needs to be done, but only owning f-bodies untill this truck, everything looks completely foreign. I am looking to get it done this Saturday, but really don't want to dive into it blind like I do most projects.

I will have to get a chiltons, but my local auto parts store didn't have one, so I resorted online and got much better info.

While not pretty I am going to have to depend on this truck, and snow is coming soon in Colorado so I really need to get the 4WD up and going. Thanks for any help, again.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If time is an issue, don't change the gears until the snow is over.

Or remove the front pig and rear end and take both to a rear end shop for setup.

You do know you have to do front and rear at the same time if you want to use 4WD, right?

Firebird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
If time is an issue, don't change the gears until the snow is over.

Or remove the front pig and rear end and take both to a rear end shop for setup.

You do know you have to do front and rear at the same time if you want to use 4WD, right?
I dont have to change the gears, just the front diff. The back is stock, the entire front axle was replaced after an accident with the wrong gear ratio, but when I bought the truck he sent the entire original front axle, including everything that is bent that has the diff in perfect condition along with it. I am just looking to change that out because the thing is undriveable in 4wd, and I really need that for work.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Oh, then just swap the front pigs. Much easier that way.

Pick up a couple of old manual hub nuts (junk) off a Dana 35 or Dana 44 and thread them onto the spindles so you can whang them off with whatever is handy (I use a hand sledge) and not damage the spindles.

It's not too hard to remove the front pig. Messy and not kid-friendly (swearing), but not THAT bad.

Firebird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Oh, then just swap the front pigs. Much easier that way.

Pick up a couple of old manual hub nuts (junk) off a Dana 35 or Dana 44 and thread them onto the spindles so you can whang them off with whatever is handy (I use a hand sledge) and not damage the spindles.

It's not too hard to remove the front pig. Messy and not kid-friendly (swearing), but not THAT bad.
Anywhere I can find a walk through? Unfortunately I have the auto locking hubs, but I could probably pick up some manuals from a junk yard for this. Maybe a second set to put on it for when its done. The only axle I have worked on is a chevy 12 bolt, and this thing is completely greek to me.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
from memory:

first, remove spindles:

1. remove front tires, hubs, brake calipers. remove the plastic cam which is part of the auto hubs.

2. use magnetic pickup tool to remove pin in channel of spindle. remove spindle nut. pull rotor and bearings off spindle.

3. remove 5 spindle bolts. figure out how to remove siezed-on spindles (mikes idea is a good one).

second, remove axles:

1. drivers side will slide right out through hole in knuckle.

2. for the passenger side, you'll need to snip one of the metal clamps that hold the slip yoke dust boot on and pull the outer axle out through the knuckle (the inner is held on with a c-clip inside the diff.).

third, pull the diff:

1. undo front driveline.

2. undo diff. bolts and loosen pinch bolt. diff should pivot (it'll be stuck to the axle beam with silicone) out of the way, then slide off the pivot bolt. you may need to remove the c-clip and inner passenger side axle before you can completely remove the diff.

mike, fill me in if i missed anything.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Nope, the only thing missing is step 0: buy a Haynes book.

You only need the spindle nuts, not the hubs. Dana 35 manual locking hubs are somewhat hard to find in the junkyard (though I just scored a pair on Saturday). Dana 44's less so; the NUTS will fit, but the hubs won't.

Banging on spindle nuts will destroy them. They MUST be manual type because the auto nuts are not flat (and there is only one of them per side).

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals