• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Just bought a Max 2 amphibious utv

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
One other issue you may have espicially feediing it that much torque is the stock ratcheting chain tensioners. There used to be a bolt style one available as well.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Thats not the stock engine then. They only came with 2 stroke snowmobile engines untill like 93 when they switched to the 4 stroke twins. The snowmobile engined ones were fast (35-40mph) but the 4 stroke twins were much better for trail riding.

The bearing cages are basically a bracket that bolts to the tub and the axle rides in them. Otherwise the front axles bend very easy.

I cant find a picture. But its actually more of an axle cage then bearing cage.

Try www.6x6world.com if the site isnt totally dead. Those guys live and breathe these things.

RI (recreative industries) the ones that built the max got bought out in 2017 by mudd-ox. Somethin happend there and someone else bought the max brand to revive it but last i knew they hadnt yet.

So parts are hard to get espicially things like the cages. Custom or used is the only real option, last i knew. I kinda quit following these when i sold mine.

One other issue you may have espicially feediing it that much torque is the stock ratcheting chain tensioners. There used to be a bolt style one available as well.
Yeah another guy bought RI in 2020 and was starting production in Florida. So is it like a support cage with a sealed roller bearing to support the axle?
I have bought a few things from 6x6 world. The new tensioners you’re referring to, some repair links, etc. I need to go look it over and look at RI’s website again.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Yeah another guy bought RI in 2020 and was starting production in Florida. So is it like a support cage with a sealed roller bearing to support the axle?
I have bought a few things from 6x6 world. The new tensioners you’re referring to, some repair links, etc. I need to go look it over and look at RI’s website again.
Its been a long time on the cages, but yes basically its a bearing houseing with steel supports that run to another bearing housing. From where the bearing rides at the tub to the outer hub. Is the jist. It supports the axle more so if you smoke a stump or something.

Ill do more digging for a pic when im home with better signal

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo

Different then the style i had. But 65 bucks and in stock.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Thanks! I need to call them since my max is older. It’s serial number 7670 and the description for the cage says for maxes with SN 11498 and later.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Thanks! I need to call them since my max is older. It’s serial number 7670 and the description for the cage says for maxes with SN 11498 and later.
Damn. 7670 is an pretty early one i believe.

I know at some point they moved from 1 inch to 1 1/4 diameter axles. Thats probably the difference.

Found the registry thread on 6x6world...
Screenshot_20221108-161006_Samsung Internet.jpg

7670 would be an 86. Sure thats a briggs engine and not a tecumseh? I thought they ran 2 strokes untill the early 90s guess i was wrong.

Last edited:

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Damn. 7670 is an pretty early one i believe.

I know at some point they moved from 1 inch to 1 1/4 diameter axles. Thats probably the difference.

Found the registry thread on 6x6world...
View attachment 85095

7670 would be an 86. Sure thats a briggs engine and not a tecumseh? I thought they ran 2 strokes untill the early 90s guess i was wrong.
I’m 💯 sure it’s a briggs but it is a replacement engine. I want to do a full rebuild on the kubota engine and put that in because the current one is so under powered for mountain driving.
Yeah I bet that’s the difference, I haven’t measured the axles yet. I bet they’re the 1” version.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Finished cleaning up the tire guides this evening. I’ll have to wait and see if I get time to finish the tracks up this week.
28775284-1635-40F7-A2FC-85AC6792D249.jpeg

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
I’m getting closer to having these things finished. I have about 60% of the backing plates finished and then I’ll have to install everything, cut the track to size and build hinges. The hinges should be easy though. These backing plates are taking longer than I anticipated. I really should have made a jig instead of clamping a stack of 8 together and having to center them for every hole to be drilled.
On a side note, if I get this thing put together and they work well, then I’ll make a second set from the leftovers to sell to recoup the cost of the materials. My design looks to be much stronger than other DIY tracks people have built. I’m using 3”by 4” by .25”aluminum angle with the 4” angle being used to reinforce the track. Probably way over kill and I can probably put the 3” side of the angle down on the track, with the 4” side used as the tire guide. Time will tell, if I have issues keeping the tracks on and if the tracks hold up.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
I started building hinges today. After getting 3 half built, I decided to change my design. Instead of using 4 pieces of 1/8”x1” steel flat stock, I’m only going to use one and then use 1/8”x1” aluminum flat stock as a backing plate. That should save a few pounds. Also I think I should cut the metal drive clips off the tracks since they’re not needed anymore.

DBD77CEC-5411-488C-8C53-76E1BFED4ECB.jpeg

7E4F957A-2CCE-40CC-A170-D7285A9D62C3.png

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
I got home and installed an electronic ignition along with a digital RPM gauge/hr meter. I need to adjust the carb more because it back fired when I test drove it.

Worked on the hinges some more. I finished up the welding and started greasing the ones that had cooled off. By changing my design, I cut almost 50% of the weight. I hope to finish the tracks up completely then install them on Friday.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Finished making the last of the tire guides. 130 in all. I figure I have around 4 minutes of labor into each one. Cutting, drilling and sanding. The backing plates took around a minute each to make. Would have been a lot faster and easier if I had made jigs for drilling the holes and bought a belt sander to clean them up.
Either way, they’re done now and I just have to put them on the tracks. I’m not going to be home until Friday so I don’t get to try the tracks out just yet. And yes I hauled the tracks to work with me lol. Since I work a 72 hr shift, we get soft time after 5 pm so I get to work on my projects unless I get a dispatch for a call. I’ll spend a hour or two after dinner messing around with personal projects before I go to bed.

Here are the tracks before I added the extensions on. I added 4 foot more to each side and need to install the tire guides onto those.

33B5E001-D8FE-4730-AFF3-C584821A4AC5.jpeg

C06A9DB9-23D5-4811-BB4D-14F25EF97D13.jpeg

5CEB1380-BAC6-424D-8A15-220D4A332DB2.jpeg

5830EBA3-D5D5-4FCB-91B1-92EA7CF4440A.jpeg

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Finished making the last of the tire guides. 130 in all. I figure I have around 4 minutes of labor into each one. Cutting, drilling and sanding. The backing plates took around a minute each to make. Would have been a lot faster and easier if I had made jigs for drilling the holes and bought a belt sander to clean them up.
Either way, they’re done now and I just have to put them on the tracks. I’m not going to be home until Friday so I don’t get to try the tracks out just yet. And yes I hauled the tracks to work with me lol. Since I work a 72 hr shift, we get soft time after 5 pm so I get to work on my projects unless I get a dispatch for a call. I’ll spend a hour or two after dinner messing around with personal projects before I go to bed.

Here are the tracks before I added the extensions on. I added 4 foot more to each side and need to install the tire guides onto those.

View attachment 85803

View attachment 85804

View attachment 85805

View attachment 85806
If i woulda kept mine i woulda put tracks on. Some of the guys i rode with had them...they are literally unstoppable with tracks.

Snow and rocks are these things biggest weakness and with tracks snow is nothing.

Looks good

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
If i woulda kept mine i woulda put tracks on. Some of the guys i rode with had them...they are literally unstoppable with tracks.

Snow and rocks are these things biggest weakness and with tracks snow is nothing.

Looks good
Thank you, I can’t wait to try them out! I’m pretty excited to be able to get around the mountains without having to hike lol. It gets tiring hiking 10+ miles a day when it’s so crazy steep out here and having snow makes it that much worse. I’m gonna have to build that cab next!

Last edited:

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Finished putting it all together! But I need to flip the tire guides around. I test drove it around the house and the driver side track popped right off. I’m pretty disappointed. I hope that flipping the guides to where the 4” side sticks up, will fix it. I put the 4” side down because I was worried about the guide not having enough contact with the track. I’ll just have to flip them around and hope that fixes it.

1496EBE4-D4F7-45FC-86EB-256EC4CF43F9.jpeg

28AF2D1D-2118-40CA-A3A3-F9349AF1A5CE.jpeg

DFE0AEFA-FD32-43C2-A813-1B684D0F7AB4.jpeg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad