• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Just bought a 4d55t truck, some questions...

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
just tought i could use my tranny t-case in a newer truck? lets say til 1994?are the frames and crossmembers the same? from what i have read, but i'm not 100% sure.
Realistically, you can probably get away with it at least up to 97. IIRC the correct holes for the trans mount are there, even if they are not in use.

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Realistically, you can probably get away with it at least up to 97. IIRC the correct holes for the trans mount are there, even if they are not in use.
this is true.even on a 98-up,it wouldn't be too much of a challenge.the only challenge would be trying to upgrade the trans.wiring is minimal on this engine;most of it is centered around the glow plug system....plus one wire to the fuel shutoff,one to the pimer pump,and a water sensor on the fuel filter.

ericlerouge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 td
Transmission
Manual
ok. right now i'm looking at a 1994 x-cab ranger 4x4 w/4.0 and shut tranny. my truck has the fm-145. in order to swap my 4d55 engine in it i have to:

1-swap my engine/tranny/t-case. and have both the driving shaft (lenghtened) and front output shaft (shortened) modified ?

2-swap the m5od for a fm-146, then swap my 4d55? (would prefer that!!!)

does that sounds right to you? something i missed?

just want to make sure. i want the easiest and cheaper way to do that. don't want to have to customize the whole drivetrain. if so i'll just wait to find a good donor from that era.
i had no luck finding a truck over here from 84 to 92 that is in my price range and not rusted, neglected and abused etc.

ericlerouge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 td
Transmission
Manual
went a bit further tonight.

if i keep the fm-145, the tranny crossmember would have to be moved, the holes should be there on the frame and drive shafts takin care of?

if i can find a used fm146 that works ok, guess that would be the best.

ericlerouge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 td
Transmission
Manual

i finally found a truck to put the diesel in. same wheelbase, same trans and t-case... rust free truck. it's a 2.9l.:icon_hornsup:

mason_411

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l v6
Transmission
Automatic
i am also going to be doing a 2.3 4d55 turbo swap into my 94 here shortly so this is interesting keep updating so i can take notes haha

ericlerouge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 td
Transmission
Manual
wich tranny you're gonna use? any upgrade over the fm145 146? I read about the tk5 but there are divergent opinions about wich one is the best. For me, i'll buy a tuff pan for the fm145 and call it good as the second truck i've bought rises a bit the total cost of the built. Well, for now.

As far as i've read, it's a straight forward swap. The only drawback i see right now is getting engine related parts. I still miss the engine mounts, think i'll have to get creative there. I've bought stuff from rockauto but the listings are not always right for that truck. I will need a ring gear for sure, but the one listed is the same as all the other trucks? i'll have to wait and count the teeths.

anyway, yeah, we should keep this thread alive.

mason_411

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l v6
Transmission
Automatic
Im going to use the trans with the diesel fm145 i think? its the 5 speed one. and yeah i cant find anything on after market or stock replacement parts. but they use the VE type pump so ill just turn that sucker up and put a t3 turbo on it. mines innercooled so i hope i can get away with that much. i wanna be in the 20-25 psi of boost range so i may need headstuds? but those go out based on compression right? so maybe lower cylinder pressure? im not too sure and do you know anything about gearing one these?? i plan to run 33ish tires i read somewhere with 33's ill need like 5.29's but that seems WAY too high to me. id see 4.11's or maybe a bit more but thats all.

ericlerouge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 td
Transmission
Manual
I've read that the head studs are strong enough. Lowering the compression ratio is not a real good idea if you have to cold start the thing. dd. Buy yourself a good egt gauge before you start playing with boost. heat is the enemy here. I just bought a voodoo boost controller, i think the stock turbo can handle a bit more boost than the 13 psi set from the factory.

I drove the truck with stock gears and 31s, it has good pep (far from your 4.0 tho) If you plan on boosting that thing, be aware that the fm145 is not known to handle that very well. And remember that it's a 20+ years old engine and trans.

mason_411

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l v6
Transmission
Automatic
the 4.0 has NO pep haha if i can get this thing pushing over 25 psi and then open the waste gate at about 25 with a t3 turbo ill be pretty set after a well tuned pump. and im not so scared on the fm145 if it blows i can always do the jeep tranny swap.

ericlerouge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 td
Transmission
Manual
tell me more about the jeep tranny swap, never heard that one...

mason_411

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l v6
Transmission
Automatic
im pretty sure 4d55 performance inc. did it with an AX15. or at least found it was possible. the bell housing on the AX15 is detachable for the swap and is rated strength wise in between the FM145 and M5od but closer to the M5od. also it will bolt right to a NP231 however it is 2 inches shorter so moving the cross member is a must.

ericlerouge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 td
Transmission
Manual
Well, the swap is on it's way...

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

next step: change the transmission front cover in order to keep the original slave cylinder set-up.

then clutch

then wiring.

then fuel supply.

Last edited:

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

I've heard the stock diesels were slow, but with that engine in there.... that truck will barely move!!! :icon_rofl:

What did you find with the 145 -146 bellhousings?

ericlerouge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 td
Transmission
Manual
it's the flintstones ranger!:icon_bounceblue:

the fm146 bell is not removed yet, but by the look of how the slave attached to the transmission, i have to swap front covers.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals