• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Just About done

Dead Eye

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Liter OHV
Transmission
Automatic
i have a problem with my belt and pulley setup. I have replaced the idler and tensioner pulley, as well as the power-steering pulley. The belt squeaks and squeals. It also ripped off a rib on the serpentine belt. before i replaced the power-steering pulley, it kept burning through belts. and it still is. the only thing that is keeping it from not making any noise is the fact that all of the pulleys with places for the ribs except the crankshaft are on the rib farthest to the cab. (when facing the front of the vehicle). Why is it doing this? Please give some insight or advice. my ranger has 167xxx miles on it. we recently swapped the engine block at 163xxx. Im almost ready to get rid of it. but i really don't want too.

UpStandingMember

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6
Transmission
Manual
Did you take a straight edge and check that the pulleys are all in line with each other?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Are all the pulleys in line with each other? In good shape?

Look for rubber spray around an area with a problem, as the out of place pulley chews the belt apart it will spray rubber from the belt.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Was the belt running off track like that before you replaced the P/S pulley? If so, something is bent in your FEAD. If not, the pulley you replaced is not lined up right.

As stated before, take a straight edge to the pulleys and find the one that isn't square to the others.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
yep.....pulley alignment.......or......one wrong/grooved pulley...is da belt routed correctly?

Dead Eye

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Liter OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Ok. I will check that out. i looked at a video on youtube, just to kinda get some insight on how to do it, and do i have to have a micrometer? or does that just make it easier? and how long of a straight edge do i have to have? and can i check more then just the P/S pulley? it only gave the P/S pulley as a demo. and thanks guys. And yeah. it was running like that before i replaced the P/S pulley..... :annoyed: and they all spin just fine. and the belt is routed correctly.

Last edited:

Dead Eye

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Liter OHV
Transmission
Automatic
And what exactly is the FEAD? is it code for something?

Dead Eye

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Liter OHV
Transmission
Automatic
and before i replaced the P/S pulley, the belt would squeak a lot sometimes, and the temp gauge would shoot up. what do you guys think that would be? waterpump? i replaced it when i did the engine block swap. so im kinda thinking it is not the problem.

doorgunner

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
and before i replaced the P/S pulley, the belt would squeak a lot sometimes, and the temp gauge would shoot up. what do you guys think that would be? waterpump? i replaced it when i did the engine block swap. so im kinda thinking it is not the problem.
The waterpump pulley would squeak if the pump was seizing up slightly(but you changed it).......OR.....the belt does not wrap around the waterpump pulley enough for it ti "grab" the pulley enough to keep the pump spinning fast enough.....

I removed my P/S pump which prevented full contact of the new, shorter belt on the W/P pulley.....making it squeel/chirp until the engine warmed up

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
And what exactly is the FEAD? is it code for something?
Front Engine Accessory Drive... basically the belt system on the front of the engine. :icon_thumby:

If you have room a yardstick would work, set it on the rim of each pully and compare it by eye to the surrounding pulleys. May even be able to just line things up by eye too.

doorgunner

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Pulley chirp/squeek/squeal is eliminated for me....the belt wasn't wrapping far enough around the water pump, so I added a serpentine idler pulley that would cause the belt to wrap further around it....I needed a new belt anyway so it worked out good.....

I got 2 benefits from the mod.......1. the engine temp gauge shows it's running cooler(apparently the waterpump was turning slower than it should).

2. No more sqealing at all...even when I turn the A/C on.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
and do i have to have a micrometer?

and how long of a straight edge do i have to have?

and can i check more then just the P/S pulley?
I've never used one for this, so no.

What do you have that will fit in there?

Yup. It's your truck. You can do what ever the heck you want to do. If you want to paint it pink and slap hello-kitty stickers all over it and run it at the local track, we can't stop you, so check away.:icon_thumby::icon_thumby:

They do all check out the same though. They should all be square to the crank pulley.

Last edited:

Dead Eye

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Liter OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I've never used one for this, so no.

What do you have that will fit in there?

Yup. It's your truck. You can do what ever the heck you want to do. If you want to paint it pink and slap hello-kitty stickers all over it and run it at the local track, we can't stop you, so check away.:icon_thumby::icon_thumby:

They do all check out the same though. They should all be square to the crank pulley.
hahaha. that comment was worth a good laugh. haha. hello kitty:icon_rofl: i am pretty confident about this now. I just haven't got around to it because im working so much. and do you guys think that a low tension on the belt would cause it to not wrap around the W/P pulley? Im thinking about replacing the tensioner.... I have no idea how many miles are on it.

doorgunner

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
I've never used one for this, so no. What do you have that will fit in there? Yup. It's your truck. You can do what ever the heck you want to do. If you want to paint it pink and slap hello-kitty stickers all over it and run it at the local track, we can't stop you, so check away.:icon_thumby::icon_thumby: They do all check out the same though. They should all be square to the crank pulley.
raped....per RSH

hahaha. that comment was worth a good laugh. haha. hello kitty:icon_rofl: i am pretty confident about this now. I just haven't got around to it because im working so much. and do you guys think that a low tension on the belt would cause it to not wrap around the W/P pulley? Im thinking about replacing the tensioner.... I have no idea how many miles are on it.
from personal experience...I know the belt should wrap more than halfway around the waterpump pulley to keep it from squeeling/chirping...same on the other pulleys (the airpump is the only pulley that only needs 1/4th belt contact..if your truck has one)

A straightedge of any type is the fastest way to check pulley alignment...it's even better than :icon_surprised: ....like adsm_ said---make sure the other pulleys are "flush" with the crankshaft pulley!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now I'm gonna take a ride in my squeel-less Ranger.......

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals