• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

just a thought, do they make a supercharger for 2.3s

rangerpimpn84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
i had an idea for thought, wouldnt that cool as shit to have supercharged 2.3. i think i saw a thread on this but couldnt remember.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
well they don't really make one, like as in a kit, especially since turbo 2.3's are everywhere.

If you're still curious, search threads posted by a guy called "anupaum", he's the only one I know of actively running around here with a blown 4cyl.

skyy_4life

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
would a cobalt SS supercharger even get close to working with it being a 4 cyl?

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm sure you could get it to work. It's all a matter of mounting it. And then tuning it. But I highly doubt mounting a SC from a cobalt would be any easier than any other given SC.

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Why, that would be a waste of time.

Run an IHI turbo on it, and youll have your boost as soon as you need it, and you wont have any parasitic loss.

Supercharging an engine that came from the factory turbocharged is just retarded.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Well it's not necessarily retarded, granted the turbo route generally outweighs supercharging in terms of ease and driving performance and setup, it's still up to a personal matter in determining what they want done to their vehicle.

Plenty of vehicles come supercharged and can move around pretty dang well. Start reading up on the advantages and disadvantages of either and choose which one best suits what you want to use the vehicle for, simply being different included.

Ric

...RedShred
U.S. Military - Veteran
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I will always prefer a turbo on a 4 over a supercharger (unless it's a dedicated autocross platform).

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well it's not necessarily retarded, granted the turbo route generally outweighs supercharging in terms of ease and driving performance and setup, it's still up to a personal matter in determining what they want done to their vehicle.

Plenty of vehicles come supercharged and can move around pretty dang well. Start reading up on the advantages and disadvantages of either and choose which one best suits what you want to use the vehicle for, simply being different included.
There is no advantage to supercharging a 2.3 over turbocharging it.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
There is no advantage to supercharging a 2.3 over turbocharging it.
I'm not arguing for supercharging it, the turbo is better hands down. But it's ultimately his decision to decide what he wants to go with. And as I stated earlier and in the quote, simply being different included.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
turbo - lag
super - parasetic drag

but lag can be minimized...parasetic drag cant.

i thought most supercharged 4 and 6 cylinder GM products used an eaton m90 supercharger. if thats the case with the cobalt...i wouldnt bother. the m90 is the "bottom of the barrel" supercharger. its extremely inefficient...although usually pretty cheap.

V8RangerBoy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, there are always advantages to supercharging over turbo's. Like said before, lag. A supercharger makes a given displacement for any rpm, thus, there is no lag. But, they typically push higher intake temps and there's always belt drag to deal with.

A Cobalt blower would put you really close displacement wise, but finding/making a manifold to get the belt lined up correctly with decent flow and whatnot would be tricky. As for tuning... well you're no worse off than the turbo guys aside from the fact that there's an assload of turbo guys and basically zero blown 2.3's. However, the process and equipment used is the same.

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you run an IHI turbo, youll be into the boost before your ready for it and it will produce more boost than the SC will. You also have the benefit that if you replace something that increases flow, you dont have to do a pulley change to get your boost back, and most likely a turbo would spool up quicker with flow increases.

The only good thing about an SC setup on a 4banger is the sound the SC makes.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
it is a decent argument as usual the supers on the 4 cylinders are hard to make power w/ since the drag on the engine uses a lot of the power the super produces, making the benefit of the super minimal in a 4 cyl app. trd recently developed a geardrive super however that performs quite well for the scion tc, i think its interesting and if i was interested in the super i would look into that route or to be really different try to make a hydraulically controlled blower. basically using your oil or power steering you pump fluid to a fluid turbine and have it turn a blower. the tuning of it is the tricky part, basically you put in a gate valve to regulate how much fluid gets to the turbine to spool it up at any given moment controlled by a servo motor that runs off a reading from your tps. the more the tps is opened the more the servo opens the gate valve increasing fluid pressure to spool up the turbine and blow air in, and vise versa. one of those little ideas ive had conjured up for a while i fig i would bring to light here. in a 4 cylinder app turbo boosting is more common and desirable since the gains are greater than the losses depending on the setup, but that doesnt mean that someone cant do the super route or simply use a dif style super that has a better efficiency ratio.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
There are kits for our 4 bangers, just hard to find and not worth the money. The parasitic drag from the supercharger is offset by the power it produces. If you lose 3 hp for the motor to turn the supercharger but you ranger moves from 94 hp to 115, so what if you didnt get 118. Your still ahead of the game.

Turbos are known for crazy lag because of the 80's when everyone thought airflow and not heat expansion turned the impellors. But nowadays turbos are tuned alot better, and if you can afford to do it right, then you can size the turbo for minimum lag and maximum power. Alot of 4 cylinders are running turbos with near zero lag. If you turbo is too big, you will have excess lag. if it too small you will have zero lag, but will restrict your turbos max ability.

Turbonetics make a bunch for the rotaries and 4 cyl application as well as GReddy.

Kenne Bell is big one to ask about the twin screw for the 2.3l.

Vortech would be my opinion for King of the centrifugal.
Which is another choice you have to maek altogether. If you go supercharger will you do an Eaton type, Roots? Or centrifugal? Each one has an advantage and disadvantage.

You should prolly read up alot more on these than just our opinions.

VMPTuning.com Talk to justin about his experience with these systems as well as how these systems work with the various programmers. (required) Theres alot of knowledge in that guys head.

skyy_4life

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
well its a giving fact that turbo's use the air leaving the engine to run and cause no loss of power that a belt would but as he said its all about being different, resource $$$$$, and daily driving conditions.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals