• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Just a be safe while wrenching reminder....

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
We almost had to change your name to 1iPandaBar.

Last edited:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
sno… that's just kinda wrong man.

lol

OldMan2

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Do your best to be your best.
iPandaBar.....that's scary. I pray for you to have a speedy recovery.

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Just a bit...

My rule is you have to let the swelling come down a bit before making fun of the situation.
Oh, we usually go with the “home from the hospital” rule.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I had a young "tech"(his claim,not my opinion) who was replacing the front to rear brake line on a truck. Instead of just snipping the line off at the rear brake hose to use a socket to remove the fitting he decided to use his cut off tool and it got away from him and cut a 2" slot in the fuel tank, throwing sparks the whole time. Luckily the truck was a diesel, had it been a gas tank instead he would have probably blown the back wall out of the shop, killed at least a couple of the other techs, and burned the place down. He couldn't understand why the other guys were so mad at him. I brought him a copy of the $700 internal repair order I wrote off to fix his screw up. Proof positive that someone looks out for drunks and fools. Well, fools at least.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
@snoranger, I was trying to find the Joke, but you beat me to it.
@iPandaBar Glad you brought both eyeballs home. Sorry about your sinus cavity. My whole head hurts when I see those pics. I suffer from what has been called "sympathy pain", it's where I manifest the pain of someone else's injury, to myself. It sucks, and it's the dumbest thing I ever heard of, but I do it.

iPandaBar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Teensy Weensy
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Orthodox
@iPandaBar Glad you brought both eyeballs home. Sorry about your sinus cavity. My whole head hurts when I see those pics. I suffer from what has been called "sympathy pain", it's where I manifest the pain of someone else's injury, to myself. It sucks, and it's the dumbest thing I ever heard of, but I do it.
Don't feel bad, I started seeing myself in every inury the day I had kids. Four kids later and I'm worse not better.
How is life in the Panhandle?
I'm down on the space coast.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Don't feel bad, I started seeing myself in every inury the day I had kids. Four kids later and I'm worse not better.
How is life in the Panhandle?
I'm down on the space coast.
I live in what they call "the Big Bend" of the Panhandle, I love it here. 1.5 hours from Panama City/Mexico Beach, 2 hours from JAX, Round trip to ATL or Tampa can be done in one day if necessary. But Wakulla county (one county south of Leon) has some of the best places to see the REAL Florida, (marsh land, natural canals and waterways, Manatee's, cold springs feeding creeks and rivers) There is this one place, The Sulfur Hole, yes it stinks, but the women go swimming in it, says it makes their skin feel good, and where women are swimming, men will be nearby to flex and do dumb stuff.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
When I was 14 or 15 my dad got me my first "torch". We needed to replace bushings on my fairlane and the best option without a press was to just burn them out. So he brought home this rickety old propane torch from work. He just handed it to me and said go to town as he stood behind me. I turned the gas on and struck the flint and WOOOOOSH! Only the woosh didn't come from the nozzle it came from the propane tank.... I shut the valve off and it was still spewing fire.

I dropped it and ran and still remember my dad literally slamming into me while I tried to get the gate open around the car port.

We ran inside and called the fire department then went back outside, gave one attempt to put it out with a fire extinguisher and then said eff it we aren't waiting for the tank to explode and hid on the other side of the yard.

Around 3 minutes later the tank exploded. It was quite spectacular but it basically extinguished itself after that. Damage to the car was minimal but a tarp over the engine caught fire and melted to my perfectly painted engine. No one hurt, minor annoyance work in clean up.

To this day I HATE TORCHES and my friends hate me when I'm around when they use torches because I am insanely paranoid and go into safety patrol mode. And I'm a welder...

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
When I was 14 or 15 my dad got me my first "torch". We needed to replace bushings on my fairlane and the best option without a press was to just burn them out. So he brought home this rickety old propane torch from work. He just handed it to me and said go to town as he stood behind me. I turned the gas on and struck the flint and WOOOOOSH! Only the woosh didn't come from the nozzle it came from the propane tank.... I shut the valve off and it was still spewing fire.

I dropped it and ran and still remember my dad literally slamming into me while I tried to get the gate open around the car port.

We ran inside and called the fire department then went back outside, gave one attempt to put it out with a fire extinguisher and then said eff it we aren't waiting for the tank to explode and hid on the other side of the yard.

Around 3 minutes later the tank exploded. It was quite spectacular but it basically extinguished itself after that. Damage to the car was minimal but a tarp over the engine caught fire and melted to my perfectly painted engine. No one hurt, minor annoyance work in clean up.

To this day I HATE TORCHES and my friends hate me when I'm around when they use torches because I am insanely paranoid and go into safety patrol mode. And I'm a welder...
You didn't by chance ask the neighbors if they caught any video of that one did ya? :)

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
You didn't by chance ask the neighbors if they caught any video of that one did ya? :)
It pre dated cell phones... so no... no one caught anything on video back then without much forethought.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I’ve forgotten a ton of close calls and minor injuries related to vehicles. Three stick in my mind a bit though...

1) Was working on my blue 2000 Ranger when I was off at college. It was a pea gravel driveway and I didn’t think much of it. Had to replace a broken wheel stud in the back. I don’t remember if I had jack stands with me or not, but I had some 6x6, 4x4 and 2x4 in the truck and a bottle jack. I left the wood in the truck since I wasn’t planning on getting under the truck, just jacked it up, pulled the tire and used it for a seat. Everything was going well until I was tightening a nut to pull the stud through and all of a sudden there was a crunching noise, the jack tipped over and the truck dropped to the ground right in front of me. I was more startled than scared since it was unexpected and so fast. I also had a big problem on my hands because now my bottle jack didn’t fit under the axle. Had to dig under the axle to be able to get it back up to get the tire on and I did use blocks to prevent it from happening again. Now anytime I jack something up, I have something handy to support it, as soon as it fits, it goes in.

2) I was replacing body mounts on my choptop. A couple of them had to be cut, so I took the guard off of my 4.5” grinder and put a 6 or 7” disk on. Cut the mounts just fine. During reassembly I discovered that I was in need of a short deep well socket. So I figured I would use the grinder. Actually thought about putting the guard and proper disk back on but figured it would only take a minute to.... zing... my thumb was too close to the unprotected blade, which went right through my mechanic glove and cut a nice slot in my thumb faster than you could think.

3) I was using a grinder WITH the guard, but I was irritated and had some people that I don’t really care for that were refusing to shut up and let me work. Kept ask me things and making useless suggestions when all of a sudden the grinding wheel caught and the grinder (sans side handle) jumped and caught my other thumb, carving a nice wide groove. The two promptly made excuses and left.

acsnowrider

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Had the four post lift, break the front lift chain, all safeties failed, and with a 97 crew cab F350 diesel, it hit the floor right next to me!!!! Boss said all was ok, till I reminded him I needed to go home to change my shorts. Closest I ever came to being done, in forty plus years wrenching- The three separate batteries exploding, over the years, didn't even come close to this one!!

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals