• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

job

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
ok guys im looking for a job and from what i have heard i have a decent resume for a 19 year old, but from what i have noticed is i lack skills in the department of going through interviews. I get really nervous to the point that i shake and figit. I really need to find ways that help you guys make it through interviews so the one doing the interview doesn't think your are on drugs or that you are incompitent for the job, so any help on what you guys do would be very helpfull. TIA

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Honestly, I take a deep breath, go to my happy place, and remind myself that I am just "freaking awesome like that".

Seriously, practice with a friend, practice in front of a mirror. Sometimes it helps if you can get them to do a phone interview first, so you can be somewhere you are comfortable.

The most important thing I have found is that if you are confident in yourself and your own abilities you will be calmer during the interview.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
I get really nervous to the point that i shake and figit.

O.K..........don't laugh!!!!!

I was the same way....Here's how to get it under control....Find some questions on the internet that would be asked for the jobs that you are applying for.

Then get a friend or relative to do a practice interview with you several times...get them to ask questions that are on the applications that you bring home until you have all the answers learned.....practice with people that you know until it feels like your just having a talk with them.

Show your friend/relative that you really like doing the kind of work that you are applying for and tell them your always ready to learn more.

THEN.....get your friend/relative to find some of THEIR friends who would be willing to do a practice interview with you so you can get more confidence around people that you don't know.

If you DO the above things it will help you calm down and you can prove to a real employer that you are ready to learn.

Last edited:

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
doorgunner i like the way you think haha, and thanks guy i will deffinently try that, i just have been put down when i was younger so when i go into interviews i feel that im not good enough even though i am i just gotta get over the fear that im gonna fail and what you guys have suggested might just work.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
You've gotten good advice here...and after you've practiced that it's all really a matter of you putting your best face forward...my advice probably would not do you any good because I suck at interviews...

I'm actually too confident and not afraid to yak it up with the potential employers...

The best interview I've had that resulted in a job was the largely due to me being humble...two years out of work and really needing someone to give me a shot...I couldn't believe it when they offered me a position...had to really refrain from kissing everyone...lol

Ended up working for that company for ten years...and loved every minute of it...mostly...lol...

Go get em...you're only as good as you think you are...so don't sell yourself short in your mind...

mobileaudio219

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Go into it not caring. It's just a job, if you don't get it, there's others out there.

FritzTKatt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you can talk to a random female and get her number, you can make a job interview. Women, and whomever is hiring, can smell the fear on you and won't respond. Even if they're not really interested, but you play the game right, it's successful.

It's getting over the fear of rejection and being confident. Don't be afraid to offer to go out in the shop or whatever and show them your abilities. Even when you're not cool, you have to play it off. Ask questions about their work environment, especially to take a tour of the shop. When you get the tour, you're pretty much hired, but the game still has to be played.

Everyone strikes out 9 times out of 10, but you can never hit the ball if you don't swing.

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
mobileaudio no there isnt i live in a small town for right now and there are very few jobs so i have to get the first job i get an interview for or there could be no other chance, and fritz when it coes down to it for me i get more nervous going into a job interview vs walking up to a good lookin lady haha, but now that i have all this info i can start trying a couple things you guys mentioned and see what works best for me.

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
or adderall. thatll get you focused quick

mobileaudio219

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The point is, you're way more likely to get the job if you go in cool and calm. Let them think they need you just as much as you need them.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
509, I have conducted several interviews over the last 10 years. Just be yourself. Practice in the mirror or with a friend or family member. I have a list of questions that you could go over with someone to practice if you would like (just PM me your email address).

Don't get into cliche saying things like "to tell you the truth", and "as far as I know". Be prepared to answer questions like "why did you leave your last job?" and don't say anything to make them believe you may cause contention in the workplace. Be prepared to give details on the work you did and sound proud of your accomplishments.

Also, don't look like you just crawled out from under your Ranger. Dress nicely, in a casual manner. Don't cake on cologne, I personally really dislike that. Sit in the chair straight and tall, not slouching over.

Last but not least, ask questions yourself. I LOVE hearing people ask about benefits, how our holiday pay is structured, and even the history of the company. Ask about those things. It makes you sound much more interested than the next guy.

Once again, I have a list of around 70 questions that are commonly asked. Please let me know if they can help you.

GOOD LUCK!

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I have the same problem which makes finding a job very hard. Plus not having a piece of paper from a college saying you wasted a ton of money to get it, that makes it even harder.

I try to go over my resume and my application, I always keep a copy for myself and I bring it into the interview with me in case I need to reference it for some weird reason. One thing I do is to have a little snack and relax before the interview. I always arrive early for the interview as well so that I'm not tense from dealing with traffic on the way. I also go over some of the general interview questions in my head and how I will answer them. Go into the interview in a professional manner. Be polite use your manners, yes sir, no sir, etc. Dress appropriately for the interview. Some businesses require formal dress others are casual dress, and a few are actually normal attire, however still DO NOT go to an interview with dirty or torn up clothes. Go in like you are ready to run the company. If you know the company you are interviewing for, look them up on the internet and research them a little bit, some companies will actually throw in a question or 2 about what you know about that company so be prepared. Don't go in there with a cocky I know everything attitude either, that'll get your job outlook tossed out right then. Explain to them what you know and can do, but say you are always learning new ideas and concepts to make yourself more knowledgeable in the field.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
509, I just wanted to make sure you got those. I sent them this morning.

Sent from a Commodore 64 using a 300 baud modem

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals