• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Jeep weirdos...

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I admittedly like the old CJ-5's and wouldn't mind one for a trail rig but they are impossible to find. The new "jeeps" are not even in the same catagory as the jeeps made 30+ years ago. They still drove like crap but they were tough and reliable.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Id
I admittedly like the old CJ-5's and wouldn't mind one for a trail rig but they are impossible to find. The new "jeeps" are not even in the same catagory as the jeeps made 30+ years ago. They still drove like crap but they were tough and reliable.
Id kill for a 304/4sp CJ7

saskbill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
There are millions of vehicle enthusiasts who are just as dedicated to their "brand" as you are to yours. I've owned hundreds vehicles in my 70 years, all makes, brands, types, imports, domestic, even a Vega and Pinto (but never a Yugo). Each had something or some quality I liked, or I wouldn't have bought it. And yes, I have had several Jeeps, real Jeeps, not the Fiat made stuff that's out there now.
Jeep owners would look at your Ranger and ask "why would someone own a itty bitty old truck"?
Piece of crap to you, but his pride and joy. Never critize someone for their likes and dislikes...may come back to bite you in the arse.
Grumpaw
Hear hear! Not everyone is lucky enough to be with their soulmate, or to drive their dream car (or even a DD mutt you have learned to love and despise, depending on the day, perhaps over time gaining a grudging admiration for its continued ability to keep chugging with only minimal mechanical affection).

My Dad was never much on Fords. Apparently when he returned from WWII and started farming his own land, he and my uncle went in on a Model "B" one-ton. The story went, supposedly it had a 4-cylinder engine while the rear gears were set up for a V-8 (?). It was gutless, and prone to overheating, and cracked the block/head (I dunno - wasn't there). They fixed it, sold the truck and bought a 1949 Chev 1-ton brand new that he was sill driving when I was a kid in the early 70s. There was a strong GM dealer in our neighborhood, and my dad drove GM cars most of his life (last car he bought was 1 new 1990 Plymouth Acclaim after he retired and the local GM dealership folded after the patriarch passed on and his grandson started a Chrysler dealership). Never bought another Ford truck till his last grain truck, a 3-ton with a big V-8 that drank gas in great big gulps, so I don't think it impressed him much either.

As a teenager, I borrowed the farm Chev pickup when I needed independent transport. Didn't get my own car til I was away at school for a few years and decided that, even though the city had pretty decent buses, a car would be really handy sometimes. So I dealt on an orphaned 73 vega for $300 - drove to a parts store to get a gas cap to replace the rag(!) in the filler tube and the car wouldn't start afterwards! Ended up with a new battery and terminals that same day - learned to not love side terminals! sold the vega (Bought $300 drove 3 years, put maybe $300 into it and sold for $300 so pretty decent overall) and bought a 79 Capri that was an absolute lemon (not the car design so much - it had just had all the joy and life used and stomped out of it - but was pretty easy to work on).

Later got a rusty 78 pickup that was a lot like the 77 we had on the farm. Learned that Chevies pretty much put Everything together with a ton of bolts (which mean body and other parts were pretty interchangeable with some work. Was working by then - discovered pick-a-part junkyards and had a blast learning to fix stuff and upgrading some features. It retired eventually out to the farm as its engine was getting tired and an engine rebuild project got stalled due to time, $ and distance.

Some time later, I bought a house and need a truck in a hurry to move and get set up. Bought a 'disposable' rusty 1980 F150 with (as it turned out) a worn-out 300 with blow-by that would leak out the crank-case, into the cab and keep mosqitoes down! Got a junkyard engine put in, started transplanting other junkyard parts and panels onto it - was a pretty decent beast 'til the ring gear started to go and I never quite got around to replacing it (also rising price of gas made it a little expensive to feed for regular use).

Then came a series of Mustangs and Rangers and the Windstar I am driving at present while organizing some Ranger revivals. I don't live and breath Ford, but I mostly drive them. I am used to their quirks, and they are overall built to be worked on (unlike the 93 Nissan Altima I had for awhile!). Parts are plentiful and not too expensive (especially at pick-a-part yards). And, yeah, I have gotten pretty attached to some of them, especially one Mustang (totalled when a friend was driving it, just about the time I had everything fixed up right) and the Rangers.

Cars are like religions or sports teams. Everyone sees things differently, and their is no point in flipping off someone who is just trying to be friendly.

Though teasing a friend who loves THEIR truck just a little too much can be kinda fun... (as long as you are prepared for the bread you cast to come back to thee...)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
We used to have a nearby Ford dealer who also sold Jeeps, at a P&S meeting his service manager told me Jeeps were the biggest piece of junk they sold with the most loyal customers. Jeep started as a Willys during WW II, they couldn't build enough so Ford got into the act. Willys sold out to Kaiser, the AMC got Jeep, then Mopar/Benz bought AMC, then Fiat bought Mopar. I used to see Jeep Wagoneers with Mopar transmissions, prestolite ignition, a Motorcraft carb, and whatever else they could scrounge up. I'm glad somebody likes them because I can't. The Cherokee was the last surviving Rambler American wagon.
Actually they started out with Bantam but they in no way could even supply the prewar military so Willys got the contract.

Ford wanted to keep them after the war, Willys had to change the number of grille slots from the Ford design of 9 to the now "traditional" 7 to keep them

They may have dodged a bullet, they kinda look like a Jonah when you think about how many failed companies have owned Jeep...

Last edited:

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Saskbill, if your Dad bought a model B after the war it was at least 13 years old and then he had better luck with the 49 Chevy he bought new? I'd hope so.
The 4.0 that Jeep guys revere wasn't designed by AMC. The engineers were to design a new 6 cylinder for Chevy to replace the 216,235,292 engines and the first attempt was rejected for being too heavy so GM sold it to Rambler and came up with the 194,230,250 that they used through the 60's and 70's. You used to see lots of Ramblers with electric fuel pumps because the fuel pump lobe wore off the typical GM cam.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
I had a about 3 full size Jeeps. AMC 360's with Motorcraft 2150s, ignitions and most of the vacuum emissions devices. GM steering column and 727 TorqueFlight. Still, they worked really well and were monsters in the snow (I never got into offroading), and generally very nice to drive. Unfortunately you got 11mpg in the summer downhill with a tailwind. Maybe, if you were lucky.

saskbill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Saskbill, if your Dad bought a model B after the war it was at least 13 years old and then he had better luck with the 49 Chevy he bought new? I'd hope so.
Well that would have been about 1947 so I'm thinking that Ford would've been 14 or 15 years old, probably. Just for the record, the 49 Chev got used pretty heavy (when the folks first married in '52 it was their only vehicle til a few years later they bought a 35 Chev Master 4-door off some relative) for some 25-odd years - the old 216 engine got rebuilt in the yard at least once that I personally witnessed. The army trained my Dad as a mechanic, and he was pretty good at keeping stuff running. Don't think I've ever owned a truck that was less than 13 or 15 years old.

But starting out, he and my uncle definitely got an education in the potential perils of buying used farm equipment and vehicles. There was a woeful tale of a Minneapolis combine they bought in the early days that was an out and out piece of junk - much to the apparent amusement of my granfather, who maintained that combines were a temporary fad and would never replace trusty old threshing machines.

I was all well before my time, but my understanding was that there was something wrong with that model B right from the factory. As I understood it, it was geared way too tall for the engine that was in it - the idea that the rear end had gears in it intended to be matched with a flat 8, not a fairly anemic 4 banger was one theory that was floated. Bottom line was, they took a bath on that truck not too long after buying it, and it was was another 30-35 years before he bought a Ford again.

On the other hand, another uncle farmed with an early-50s Ford one-ton until he retired in the 80s. Last I heard, that truck was sold to some neighbors who were still using it for a water truck years later.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Well I went to drive the heep home from work and saw a little puddle by the wheel... It didn't phase me since there's nothing on this thing that doesn't leak. But being a nice guy I figured lemme make sure its not a blown brake line. Nope, u-joint is snapped in half and the axle is just sorta flopping around in the tube. No idea how long its been like that... You would think an exploded u-joint would be something blatantly obvious while driving but since the damn thing is so noisy and wobbly you could probably have a wheel fall off and not notice. I said screw it, got a ride home and left the stupid thing at work. :rolleyes:

GET YOUR CRAP TOGETHER CHRYSLER!

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Sounds like the Model B was the wrong tool for the job and would have worked better for someone hauling bulky but light cargo. We used to see improperly equipped "work" trucks all the time. A high volume dealer about 2 hours from us would advertise F trucks in our local paper for $2000 less than we were, then the "customer"( in quotes because they brought us warranty work and spent zero with us) would bring them to us when they broke. Things like base F 150's with plows but no plow package, with highway gears, no limited slip, all season tires, standard cooling, light duty transmissions, base alternators and batteries that couldn't keep up with the electric plow. They'd break them over and over because of the way the other dealer specced out the truck and then go trade for a GM because that darn Ford didn't stand up.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals