• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

jeep Dana 44 rear

Big_grizz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey im going to be putting a Dana 44 from a jeep grand cherokee into my 97 ranger. This will be my first time doing an axle swap so im looking for some answers. The jeep axle comes with coil spring perches so im going to have to take those out and weld some leaf spring perches on there. thats no problem but what i dont know is how the brake lines will connect and if there is any adapter i can get to change the jeep style yoke to a ford style or will i have to addapt my driveline?:dunno:

RoamingCanuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5L
Transmission
Manual
Is there a reason you went with the Dana 44 and not the stronger ford 8.8?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Ok, so you picked one of the less desirable axles, as said the Ford 8.8 is at least as good as the D44 from a Jeep. The 44 is about the same as a 28 spline 8.8, a 31 spline 8.8 is going to be stronger.

The 28 spline will eliminate the need for dealing with spring perches and any concerns with brake lines and yoke adapters.

Also, adapter only has one d in it.

Big_grizz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Going with the jeep dana 44 because its cheap, available and has the gear ratio i need

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
That Jeep D44 is worth quite a bit more to the Jeep guys than it would be if you swapped it into your truck... unless it is one of the oddball aluminum rear D44's. There are a lot of XJ/YJ/TJ guys out there who would love a rear D44 to replace their trashed D35.

I would suggest selling it and buying a 31 spline 8.8. But there's nothing saying you absolutely can't or shouldn't use it.

next657

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Transmission
Automatic
Hello! I'm sorry, that is not the topic! I really like your forum! Thank you, I'm with you)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals