• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Jeep Dana 30 under 96 ranger???

96BAR318

I know this has been done and ive seen it on s10s. my questions r about width and the extent of work to be done. i have a 1996 4cyl 5spd 2wd ranger. i want to run d30 front, rubicon 4:1 transfer case, ford 8.8 LS 4:10 and disc brake rear end, custom driveshafts(JUNGLE DRIVESHAFTS). wat type of springs?coils or leafs? how much of a lift? any input would help :icon_confused:

99RangerKrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If you're going to go through the hassle of putting a Dana 30 under it, just go for the Dana 44.

And the Dana 35 is stronger than a Dana 30 anyways.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Yes, the D35 is stronger than a D30....

But since he doesn't HAVE a D35 NOW...

his truck is currently 2 WHEEL DRIVE...

So while technically correct, you failed to pay attention.

AD

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
It all depends on how hard your going to use your truck once you go to 4wd. Is the 4wd just going to be for going in the snow,simple trail driving, or is it going to be used harder, such as mudding, rock crawling, etc..., those kind of details are needed so that we may be able to help you.

Look on here and find build threads of what other people have done and what it took them to do there swap.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
First off I want to know how you intend to use a Jeep t-case in a Ranger. More importantly, why, and the 4:1 gearing alone doesn't count.

Secondly, if you are building a truck from scratch, a D30 is a poor choice unless it is very close to free and already has the gear ratio you want.

There are already a million threads about D30 SAS builds here too so do a search and you will find what you are looking for.

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
I would sell the d-30 and save some pennies.......
yes you have it, but a jeeper would probably pay decent to have it themselves. that would free you up to build it "ONE" time.

Frank

1987rangerman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
wow some people dont listen to what is being said.....he chose the dana 30 thats fine his choice he knows what he wants to run....leave it at that. leaf springs is easier but radius arms are way cooler cuz it more complicated:icon_thumby: as for springs???? ummm there are many options some people are running 4" cherokee springs as it lifts it higher but also i believe you need to be atleast 6 inches???? over stock to clear your engine crossmember.

try this here
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/sas_lift_samples.html

and P.S. a dana 30 will work fine and if it breaks they are not hard to find at all......

my 5 cents,
Nick

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I think you need to do some more researching... scratch that, get a jeep. They don't make 4:1 tcase gears for rbv's...

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
wow some people dont listen to what is being said.....he chose the dana 30 thats fine his choice he knows what he wants to run....leave it at that. leaf springs is easier but radius arms are way cooler cuz it more complicated:icon_thumby: as for springs???? ummm there are many options some people are running 4" cherokee springs as it lifts it higher but also i believe you need to be atleast 6 inches???? over stock to clear your engine crossmember.

try this here
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/sas_lift_samples.html

and P.S. a dana 30 will work fine and if it breaks they are not hard to find at all......

my 5 cents,
Nick
That is a lot of bad advice. No offense intended...

- Cherokee (XJ) springs are a lot softer than TTB lift springs, therefore you will get LESS lift and you will need a taller spring, although XJ springs are a good choice if you get the right ones (4-6" ones are not enough in some cases.)

- Leaf springs are not necessarily easier. There is just as much fab if not more so for the steering. "Because it's more complicated" is not a good reason to run a radius arm setup.

- D30 is STILL not a really good choice of axle unless, like I said above, it is free or close to it and already has the gears you want. Why do you think Jeep guys take them out? Hint - it's not because they're strong.

I don't know why it matters if parts are readily available when you're breaking shit all the time because your rig is under built.

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
That is a lot of bad advice. No offense intended...

- Cherokee (XJ) springs are a lot softer than TTB lift springs, therefore you will get LESS lift and you will need a taller spring, although XJ springs are a good choice if you get the right ones (4-6" ones are not enough in some cases.)

- Leaf springs are not necessarily easier. There is just as much fab if not more so for the steering. "Because it's more complicated" is not a good reason to run a radius arm setup.

- D30 is STILL not a really good choice of axle unless, like I said above, it is free or close to it and already has the gears you want. Why do you think Jeep guys take them out? Hint - it's not because they're strong.

I don't know why it matters if parts are readily available when you're breaking shit all the time because your rig is under built.
dude, lay off. The Dana30 is the best axle ever.

1987rangerman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

you build what your budget allows im out of this topic....you guys can ramble on and on and get this guy nowhere cuz he asked for advice and i see no advice on what he asked for:icon_thumby:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
dude, lay off. The Dana30 is the best axle ever.
Shhh I'm trying to make excuses to get Heep parts cheaper :secret:

you build what your budget allows im out of this topic....you guys can ramble on and on and get this guy nowhere cuz he asked for advice and i see no advice on what he asked for:icon_thumby:
I just gave the guy some advice based on what I have built. It is easier and cheaper to build a rig correctly once than throwing something together multiple times. :icon_cheers:

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
I still want to know what he plans on using his truck for so that we may help him out with his choice.

So whos going to rave and rant about me using a Dana 30 for my SAS, dont matter though, it wont change my mind.

Its your truck do what you want to it.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
He didn't say what size tires he plans to run. If 33s or under, I don't see much issue with the 30 as long as he gets a hi-pinion one with the 297X u-joints. He has a 4cylinder, so that saves some weight over the frontend vs. a V6.

Being the truck already has quite a bit of coil hardware under it, sticking with coils and a radius arm setup is normally easiest.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals