• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Jeep D35?

RangahDanga

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
So I'm just starting to get into this ranger building thing. And being new to it all, i'm looking for a little guidance. I'm half capable and well stocked with tools. I'm currently working on an expo 8.8 swap (which is a pretty straightforward swap so far). My next project, SAS. I've been doing some reading, and searching other forum members build threads. Where should i start?

I think i want to do a Jeep Dana 35 axle. from what i understand that'll be the easiest/cheapest to swap? plus its the closest width to the 8.8 and parts are common/dirt cheap. Correct me if i'm wrong. I'm looking to keep some of my street-ability as its mostly a weekend trail-whore and DD.

then i'm looking at this for a 3 link setup... http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/3LINK-COILB.html Will that work? and if so what options would i need? a lot of the options are foreign language to me... panhard? wtf is a panhard :icon_confused: (if someone could school me that'd be great)

btw: i've got a 99 x-cab ranger 4x4 w/ a 4.0V6

mostly looking at my options. open to suggestions, trying to get my facts straight before i blow the next 5 weeks of paychecks on this stuff. that'd be a huge waste of beer money if i screw up.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Pretty sure it's the Dana 30 you're after. Dana 35 has been a rear axle in every application I've heard except for the Ranger front ends, in "TTB" and "A-Arm IFS" flavors.

If the IFS is working for you, I'd leave it. Run it for a bit and then decide if you need the SAS to further your trucks capability.

Using the stock mounts on the Jeep axle, it's pretty easy to set up a radius arm setup.

The panhard (or trac-bar) is a bar that goes from the frame to the axle and keeps it centered underneath the truck, and not wobbling out side to side.

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
You will be looking for a Dana 30 from a Jeep, not a Dana 35. Jeep Dana 35s are rear axle setups for Jeeps.

Fabricating where the springs and brackets are going to fit to the frame will be the tougher part. Otherwise frequent Jeep forums as much as possible as everything else you will want to do to beef up the D30 they do as well. The springs can be from whatever you want because its a custom job anyway.

Look for a Dana 30 high pinion if you don't want to run gears over 4.10 ratio. Gears over that ratio turn into a significant weak point in the high pinion version. The low pinion version D30 is plenty capable but where the driveshaft meets the case is very low. Less clearance.

RangahDanga

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
If the IFS is working for you, I'd leave it. Run it for a bit and then decide if you need the SAS to further your trucks capability.
Can't stand the IFS, had the truck for about two years now and its tough to work with, not to mention expensive to work with. I've seen the kits for long arm IFS... $3,500+ yeah right. For $3,500 I've seen some pretty bad-ass SAS setups.

BigMark, I've tog 4.10's stock in my ranger, and the expo swap i'm about to finish up has 4.10 gears too. so i'd like to keep them. what kind of issues would i run into with a low pinion D30? does the stock drive-shaft match the flange? would i have to change perch angles?

I found a buddy w/ a trussed D30 (from his old jeep) whose willing to give it to me for $50. If I'm not mistaken its locked, trussed, and has Chromo shafts. What would i use for springs (stock Jeep-ers?) And what would/could i use for spring buckets on the frame side? I'd imagine if i find a set of springs i could pretty easily fab a set?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
run some duff jbg or wh coils.

that axle sounds perfect.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
I see, well, here are some more suggestions then:icon_thumby:

As for a low pinion 30, issues would be possibly catching the pinion on something and doing damage. I think they make some guards for that. Technically speaking, the low pinion is weaker when moving forward (but will be stronger than a high pinion when pulling in reverse). The benefit is more clearance to the frame, and less chance to hit stuff.

Driveshaft stuff, I can't say. You'll need to do some research on that. Depends on a lot of things like what you want to do and where you're sourcing parts.

Perch angles only pertain to leaf springs. If you decide to go leaf spring and not coil sprung, then you'll need to add perch mounts.

As for buckets, lots of options.

Springs, early Bronco seems to be popular. Jeep springs have been said to be a little on the "soggy" side when used under Rangers.

Take a good read through this, the radius arm setup on a D30 under a Ranger is the last picture on the page. But the whole thing is a great place to start.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/sas.html

Oh, and the Trac bar is essentially the same thing as a Panhard bar. The 2 seem to be used interchangeably, but I'm sure there's some sort of specific difference.

I applaud your efforts to really dive into this, but there is a lot of information out there on these, and it's getting rather apparent you haven't done much searching (not just here, but on the web and everywhere else). Even if it doesn't make sense at first, keep reading, and reading, and reading, and reading. Eventually things will fall into place and you will be a lot more satisfied with your swap. There's only so much other people can do from behind a keyboard to get you set up right and to do what you expect it to do.

:icon_welder:

RangahDanga

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
I applaud your efforts to really dive into this, but there is a lot of information out there on these
Guess i dove into this a little fast. haha. I plan on collecting parts all winter and researching it, and then doing (attempting) the swap in the spring. I'm definitely set on the D30 cause i have access to a pretty nice (and dirt cheap) one. I'll do some more searching before i start cutting and hacking up my truck.

Thanks for the insight guys! A round of beers on me! :beer::beer::beer:

simpler=better

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mercedes
Transmission
Automatic
D35s are rears, and they're called turdy-fives for a reason. Tap anything harder than a speed bump and it will bend.

After seeing one bend in a mild curb-tap, I'll never go near them again.

RangahDanga

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
D35s are rears, and they're called turdy-fives for a reason. Tap anything harder than a speed bump and it will bend.

After seeing one bend in a mild curb-tap, I'll never go near them again.
my D35 IFS hasn't broken yet, and i push it pretty hard for an IFS truck. i'm sure a built D30 or D35 would take some abuse. not to mention parts are dime a dozen.

2004xlmiller

March 2013 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
my D35 IFS hasn't broken yet, and i push it pretty hard for an IFS truck. i'm sure a built D30 or D35 would take some abuse. not to mention parts are dime a dozen.
Why on earth would you trade an option for an 8.8, (arguably stronger than a Dana 44) for a pos Dana 35. They're junk. Even jeep guys know this and go with Ford axles.. just saying. If you're gonna swap something do it right

RangahDanga

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
no no no, you misunderstand, i'm looking at the D30 for a SAS. not to swap it for the rear. I'm doing the Expo 8.8 for the rear. I wouldn't downgrade the rear for a D35...

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
8.8, (arguably stronger than a Dana 44)
I disagree, an 8.8 is not "arguably stronger than a D44". it's not really any weaker either

in fact a D44 has an 8.9" ring gear :icon_confused:

the only jeep guys who swap an 8.8 in, are the guys who had a D35 out back. Those with the rubicon (which already has a d44 rear), don't swap in an 8.8.

their actual strength is about sixes:icon_thumby:

but a D35? not comparable to either the 8.8, or the D44

Last edited:

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
I disagree, an 8.8 is not "arguably stronger than a D44". it's not really any weaker either

in fact a D44 has an 8.9" ring gear :icon_confused:

the only jeep guys who swap an 8.8 in, are the guys who had a D35 out back. Those with the rubicon (which already has a d44 rear), don't swap in an 8.8.

their actual strength is about sixes:icon_thumby:

but a D35? not comparable to either the 8.8, or the D44
The angle of the splines is the arguable difference between the Ford axles and the Dana axles. As far as torque applied and the physics behind the load bearing capacity due to the 30% difference in the spline angle is what makes Ford axles that much stronger than Dana axles.

A ford 28 spline shaft shared by the 7.5 and 8.8 is stronger by a good margin than a Dana 44 shaft up to 33 spline. A ford 31 spline shaft is stronger by a good margin over the Dana 44 35 spline shafts.

The Ford 7.5 and 8.8 carrier is a weak point in the factory setups. A Ford 7.5 28 spline axle with a complete carrier replacement can rival a D44 31 or 33 spline as far as any load bearing weight before the ring gears give out and fail on either. A Ford 8.8 with 28 spline and complete carrier replacement will rival a D44 with 35 spline and a Ford 8.8 31 spline with full carrier replacement will far surpass a D44 of any kind.

The real reason why a D35 works up front in our trucks, and a D30 works up front in a Jeep is the amount of torque lost through the transfercase and driveline before it gets to the front end. the front end sees almost half the torque output the rear end sees. Why Jeep put anything smaller than a D44 in any of their vehicles is beyond me, but that's a perfect example of why our D35 front ends last and Jeep D35 rear ends break from just larger than stock tires alone.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
I must apologize, I was basing my statement on real-world experience, as opposed to "on-paper" physics of spline angles or whatever.

I stand by what I said: a d44, and 8.8 are roughly the same real-world strength

the difference isn't wide enough to justify such a grand statement as "arguably stronger"

Last edited:

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
"on paper" physics are how everything is engineered. It may be beyond you to understand physics and how greatly a spline angle can impact rotational strength of an axle shaft but anyone in an engineering field wouldn't waste time equipping a Dana 44 rear axle to a 1/2 ton or larger truck just because of how closely "on paper" physics relate the real world.

Real world experience would be finding a solid Dana 44 rear axle under only light trucks and Jeeps. Both of which following the laws can not exceed the maximum load of that axle. Can you overload a Dana 44 of course, is it engineered for it no. Take a look at Ford 8.8 applications. Youll find them under much heavier and higher load rated vehicles. This is for a reason.

The simplest though and most plain example of the spline angle difference impacting the D44 is that almost all D44 solid axle failures is at the end of the axle shaft that meets the carrier.

On paper or real world it all corresponds. I hope this can clear up any confusion.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals