• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Jeep cherokee 4.0

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I have a question on my cherokee if someone knows that would be great. I only have this issue after the engine is up to temp and I shut it off , after 15 minutes it is hard starting. I need to lightly touch the throttle for it to start right up. It fires right up cold and shortly after I turn it off but if it sits a bit I have the same issue even after a couple hours. then the next morning it fires right up. Fuel pressure is good and holds overnite, regulator is new IAC new injectors new but vacuum is only aroud 15hg at an idle and have gone all thru the intake system rebuilt head ignition gone thru its is just annoying why it does it I get around 18 mpg mixed driving 20 on the hwy. Any suggestions would be cool I have tried snob city most all jeep forums, hopeing someone here can help.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
A bit more information might help to narrow it down, what year is it etc. It sounds like it might be a sticking egr, but I don't believe it has one. There is one issue these things have that can cause all kinds of weird problems and that is the cps. many guys keep a spare one in the glove box, my son included, they're cheap and easy to change.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
A bit more information might help to narrow it down, what year is it etc. It sounds like it might be a sticking egr, but I don't believe it has one. There is one issue these things have that can cause all kinds of weird problems and that is the cps. many guys keep a spare one in the glove box, my son included, they're cheap and easy to change.
It is a 95 2wd auto I changed the crank position sensor and I believe the cam position sensor also. The TPS gave me grief for a while one day while it was running rough I started tapping on stuff whith a screwdriver handle and found a bad connection at the tps I just put a new map in not for sure on the cam sensor tho the crank sensor was fun to get at. It happens after the engine warms up and after it sits for a bit. I tried cycling the key a few times thinking fuel pressure but never loses its prime. It is like the IAC closes and I have to push on the pedal to give it air. Nothing real bad just kinna annoying. My next step is to hook a vacuum guage on the line going to the storage tank under the front bumper, the cruise works fine along with the heater controls maybe a check valve or somthing.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
its ur timing, prolly too far retarded so when its hot dont wanna start, id start there make sure ur timing is correct.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
timing is correct and not adjustable I am going to try a find a cheap ecm and try that but gonna look at the cam position sensor first I have a new cam gear gonna pull the dizzy and completly go thru it I have recently put a new timing gear set in when I rebuilt the head.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
At 180,000 miles the cylinder walls still had cross hatching the cam gear on the dizzy was a little worn and bought the part just hav`nt got around to changing it yet.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
All the distributor does on those is direct the spark to the appropriate cylinder, I would be very surprised if it is anything to do with this issue.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
All the distributor does on those is direct the spark to the appropriate cylinder, I would be very surprised if it is anything to do with this issue.
That and the pulse of the injectors. It may not be anything but I am still going to change the gear

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals