• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

JBA Headers, Cat, 2.5” Pipe, Aftermarket Muffler on a Automatic 2.9L?

Ranger101

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Fellow Rangers,

As my profile shows, I’m a 89 automatic, 2WD, 2.9L kind of guy. For now.

Reading through various threads, I’ve gathered that JBA stainless headers (I only found them on the JBA website and for a manual none the less), keeping the cat, 2.5” pipes, and your individual choice of aftermarket muffler (depending on sound choice) is a path for me personally to take.

I’m not a tuner. Just an oridinary guy who likes his truck. This will be a get around town truck to show respect to the truck, the era, and the brand. It will look great, surprise people at lights with power and quickness, and be a conversation piece for years to come. I have all intentions of doing/installing the exhaust components listed in the paragraph above while keeping the 2.9L and the 2WD automatic (original A4LD) transmission (having it rebuilt). I’m at the beginning of my journey and want your positive input on what you all think of my course of action, your experiences, and your suggestions.

Feel free to comment on such topics as going from Y pipe to H pipe, pre-rear tire or rear end exhaust location, header installation, changing or keeping different components of the existing exhaust system, other aftermarket options, etc. The floor is yours.

Here we go and thanks in advance.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
On a small engine headers help a little but not a lot. So get the headers assuming they will work with an automatic, Magnaflow makes low-restriction universal cats, and the muffler is up to you but I have a Flowmaster DBX on my Sport Trac that I like a lot or Gibson probably has a full cat-back system. I used to have the Gibson but it's kinda loud.

PetroleumJunkie412 is the 2.9 guru.

Ranger101

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
On a small engine headers help a little but not a lot. So get the headers assuming they will work with an automatic, Magnaflow makes low-restriction universal cats, and the muffler is up to you but I have a Flowmaster DBX on my Sport Trac that I like a lot or Gibson probably has a full cat-back system. I used to have the Gibson but it's kinda loud.

PetroleumJunkie412 is the 2.9 guru.
Thanks for the reply JohnnyO.

I haven’t been able to find a set of headers that will fit the automatic.

I appreciate the heads up on the Gibson. I don’t want it to be loud. I’ve got in mind to keep the stock exhaust manifolds and go 2.5” to the tailpipe. I plan on enlarging the air pipe to the filter box and put a K&N filter after modifying the box. Air in and air out.

I agree, PJ412 is the 2.9 Guru.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
I agree, PJ412 is the 2.9 Guru.
See if he knows what the difference might be and if the headers would work with an automatic. My guess is the shift linkage but I can't say for sure. One of those things that might be small and fixable with a ball peen hammer.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Base headers should be the same. They sit half inside the frame rails.

Take to muffler shop. Tell them you're changing heads, and see if they'd be willing to replace manifold bolts. Picked that up off @RonD.

Use copper anti seize and gasket spray. You will **** yourself if you do not. Every threaded connection exhaust side.

Every one. Even stuff like egr plugs. You never know.

I can't find replacement header gaskets, only manifold. Looking for other options, stock gaskets suck. Theyre paper thin, and headers flex, so need thick ones with steel mesh and give. Try to preserve if possible.

Y pipe will likely be different. If it fits, cool.

If it does not, easy fix. Put the A4LD back in hell where it belongs, and replace with manual of choice.

Or take to same muffler shop with manual y pipe and say "make work please" they will. Look for an "& sons" establishment. Ask for the father.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
No matter what, you have headers in either situation. Real shop will charge less than $150 for y pipe, would be surprised if more than $80.

Meinikie will want $500. So. **** them. The cost of corporate.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
But seriously save the small town shops on this one. Exhaust is an art. Your dollars go far here.

And because rust in your eyes ****ing sucks. These guys are willing to do it for a living.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
Ranger101:

I put a set of JBA tripple Ni plated headers on both an 87 2.9L with A4LD and an 87 2.9L the FM145 manual transmission, they are EXACTLY the same. In regards to what I was told to expect from adding headers to my 2.9, my mechanical mentors were all in agreement that I should expect about 20 hp with a similar compliment of torque if used with 2¼" tubing on a stock 2.9L engine. I was very impressed with the difference I felt driving but even more impressed with the improvement in fuel economy!!!

I don't know if you are aware but your 89 uses a 2 to 1 "Y" pipe, the 86-87's came with a 2 to 2 "Y" pipe. If you are considering duals or the use of a X-pipe the older style "Y" and flange can facilitate this very inexpensively.

When I built the exhaust for a built 2.9, I used 2 to 1 into the cat and a single 2½" from the cat on out.

In regards to a muffler Choice, I like a performance sound but not too loud on a truck. I chose the Borla Turbo style; they now have several more choices, regarding sound but the reason I chose Borla was purely for good flow and SOLID build quality. Later when I needed to use a 2½" system vs the original 2¼", I went with a Borla XR1 because I wanted no flow loss from the muffler. The XR1's do cash in on the raspberries but still have a solid "performance engine" sound ..)

One other thing I was STRONGLY advised on when I was preparing to use headers was to use locking header bolts. I chose Stage8 locking header bolts and have not had either a leak or need to tighten a header bolt ever; those headers went on in 1998.

Last edited:

Ranger101

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Fellow Rangers,

I appreciate the input. It is highly valued and I will put it to good use.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals