• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Jacking up under rear differential?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I have wooden ramps for doing oil changes on my Fun50 (low to the ground). I don’t have any jacks that reach the frame of my Ranger without cribbing. Of course, for the Ranger, I don’t need jacks or ramps to do oil changes greasing, fuel filter changes or diff oil changes.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hospital bill from truck falling on you and breaking something...$20-$30 thousand bucks.

That's what you get for buying Jack Stands at harbor freight.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
Aha, hmm, my work is done here!

Safety is not something you do with something you have. Safety is thought, a thought process, logical and broad. What are all the possibilities if I do this (like get married)?

If you’re in a jam and you are missing something you need, I’m sure all of you are like me, I’ve got some good buddies I can call anytime of the day or night, holidays etc. This is what I mean about thinking broad. At two in the morning, when you’ve got to get to work, don’t take the chance, call a buddy. The easiest thing is to call Uber, but that’s not In the DNA of most mechanics, nor is it practical if you live out in the middle of nowhere. The buddy will come with whatever, and even if you’re going to rig something, the buddy will have your back.

And if you are thinking you don’t have a buddy like that, I propose this: call someone you know when you’re in a jam. Tell them you’re in a jam and ask for their help. I will be amazed if someone doesn’t help you by the second phone call at least. And you know what happens? You and that person (assuming you don’t call him every night with some crazed emergency) will become those good buddies. The police and military guys know this well when folks are shooting at their head...

ok, You guys are getting to know me, and I am absolutely horrible about standing on the soapbox and pontificating. But consider this, not bragging, it just “is,” I have been over literally hundreds of people and responsible for technical work over the thousands, like when you build a large building or factory. Early in my career, not in my area and not under my responsibility, a guy drove a forklift over a little curb, and when it toppled over, he tried to jump off and he got caught underneath the cage. He didn’t get crushed, rather he was folded in half at the waist, and he suffocated. It happened in a second, but it took him minutes to die and he knew what was happening. That was about 35 years ago, and I still carry that with me every single day. We did 100 things after that so that would never happen again, but of course that is why they call them “accidents.” Six years later, a guy who did work for me, crushed his hand by holding the end of a concrete truck chute instead of the side, and backed into a steel column. He was out for six months, and fortunately he can use his hand, but it is not quite right. Over my career, and in my play, I have become an official safety pain in the ass. I’m very good at being a pain in the ass. But nobody ever got hurt again.

Although I have racked my brain and I am positive that I was not responsible for these things, but in a sense I was, we all are. If we are alone, especially when tired and stressed, you have to make it part of your always process to take one additional moment or two to think about the “what if“ and prepare for it. If you are in a group, and the whole macho thing is going wild (I heard there’s some crazy guys who ride their trucks through the mountain trails), Be like me, be the ass, interrupt them, chat for five minutes about safety and what could go wrong, how to prepare for it, and how to handle it if it does. They’ll hate you at the moment, and they won’t thank you at the end, but when they’re old and gray like me with kids and grandkids with all their fingers and toes, they will be thanking you..

Rick’s lecture and prayer today has been brought to you by……

& one final thought. We have all witnessed things that make us think “gosh, I wouldn’t wish that on anyone!” Unfortunately, I have lived long enough, God forgive me, but I know two or three people that I that....

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
Oh, and have you guys ever heard of yard sales and estate sales or the secret little thing called craigslist? I have three 1.5 and two 2.0 ton jacks that altogether cost me less than the 3 ton I bought at Harbor freight for 70 bucks on sale a year ago. I have bought tons of tools for pennies, crap that I don’t even need. But then, a couple times at two in the morning, they sure come in handy. BTW, on the jacks, I had to repair two of them when I got them. It took 10 minutes with the 50 Cent O-ring and a quarter jug of transmission fluid.

There I go again, I’m getting too old to get up on that soapbox, but it seems ever more enticing as my hair gets more gray and thin...

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Somebody take @Rick W's keyboard away.
Ain't nobody got time to read all that.
JK Rick W, good info in that short story you wrote ;)

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I never will get under a car without jack stands, I use 6ton stands, with an extra lock pin, because they have a uch wider base.

Also it MUST be on a solid ground, no gravel or dirt is not solid ground.
If I have to work in the driveway I roll the car over a slab of plywood, that way the stands don’t sink into the ground. Almost lost my leg that way once.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I use a 3 ton jack I bought from Napa and OTC jack stands, if you want to save money in your shop buy some old shirts at a thrift store and cut them up for rags, don't "save money" on equipment that could kill you. I also jack up under the differential, the 8 inch rears in my Ranger and Mustang don't have rear covers to bend. If they did I'd still jack there and just be careful of bending the cover.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's what you get for buying Jack Stands at harbor freight.

I jack the rear of my truck up by the diff when I need to play with both sides. As far as safety goes I don't pull the rear tires off the truck until I have jackstands under it so at best it will fall an inch or two and land right side up on the tires.

I have the 6 ton jack stands from Northern and a set of 3 tons I got at Pamida like 15 years ago.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Yes, never ever get under a vehicle that is just being held up by a jack. Place the jack stands and set the vehicle on them first. The comment about plywood under the stands is important. Since I have a gravel driveway, this is exactly what I do. The floor jack is on plywood too. All 3/4” thick pads. I’ve had thinner pads get crushed when things go sideways.

All must be set in place and verified as good and stable before removing the jack, any wheels or getting under 3,000# +/- of steel. Shake and push and pull on it. If it moves and it isn’t suspension give. Reset and try again.

The ramps are great for a lot of things too and quicker than a jack and jack stands.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
[
Yes, never ever get under a vehicle that is just being held up by a jack. Place the jack stands and set the vehicle on them first. The comment about plywood under the stands is important. Since I have a gravel driveway, this is exactly what I do. The floor jack is on plywood too. All 3/4” thick pads. I’ve had thinner pads get crushed when things go sideways.

All must be set in place and verified as good and stable before removing the jack, any wheels or getting under 3,000# +/- of steel. Shake and push and pull on it. If it moves and it isn’t suspension give. Reset and try again.

The ramps are great for a lot of things too and quicker than a jack and jack stands.
OMG I'm such an idiot. I hadn't considered using ramps, as I figured that would only be for raising the front or back - not both. 🤦‍♂️ Then I realised one could just place a ramp in front of each tire and drive right up. Also, the only ramps I've used in the past were the metal type with a rather sketchy design. These solid ones look much more secure. I'll be on a concrete driveway, so no worries of sinking.
I know if I went the jack/jack stand route I would be able to do work that involves removing the wheels in the future, but for now, I'm happy with the security, and idiot-proofness, of the ramps.

Thanks!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I use ramps to change the oil in my wife's car.

Everything I need my trucks higher for involves pulling wheels off.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
At times I've even been known to use both ramps on one side, kinda awkward getting in or out depending on the side but when doing a fuel filter or working on the exhaust it works just fine.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
At times I've even been known to use both ramps on one side, kinda awkward getting in or out depending on the side but when doing a fuel filter or working on the exhaust it works just fine.
I replaced the exhaust on my ex-wife’s Honda Accord that way.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals