• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Its tight! Need thoughts/opinions!

ChrisR1S

10/2013 STOTM Winner
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Mild 5.0
Transmission
Manual
Ok so I've been moving along slowly fighting clearance issues with the larger bellhousing and T-case. Thought i had everything finally taken care of until i went to test fit my last parts; Headers(Headman Swap).
Passenger side fits perfectly. Drivers side dropped in, cleared the steering and everything else. EXCEPT the blessed slave cylinder tabs/bracket on my bell. it dumps right into it. :annoyed:
SO i need input from you guys...what would you do? :dunno:
-I'm not against it but I'd rather not buy more headers being as I already have these and they fit great otherwise.
-Grind off the tabs for the slave cyl. bracket from the bell? then i guess run a slave setup similar to what you guys run on a T5?
-Or is there an easier solution that im overlooking?

Well here are some pics

liftedredranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
dont worry im in the same boat with you

289 RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.0 for now going to a 289
Transmission
Manual
hope this helps

Try the try-y headers. I got a 67 289 block an try-y's fit great!!

fordmike1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 & 1983
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
I had some modifide shortys on my Ranger and had some clearence issues also, bought some tri-y's and problems solved. I have Tri-y's with a 4R70W trans and all I had to do was bend the pass side out some and shorten the collector on the drivers. The Tri-y's for a 65 Mustang fit the best and I am sure most guy's that have done the swap will tell you the same thing. I hope that this helps you out. By theway my Ranger is a 94 ex-cab 2wd.

ChrisR1S

10/2013 STOTM Winner
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Mild 5.0
Transmission
Manual
Do the Tri-Ys work with the larger 164tooth bellhousing? I know they fit with the smaller such as the T5... think the 4R70W is 164tooth? I originally wanted to run the tri-ys but was kinda pushed away with the thought that they DID NOT fit the larger bell w/o heavy mods..

Do you guys have pics of the tri-ys on a large bellhousing setup? im wondering if in fact they do fit, will the drop low enough to clear the bracket in question.

fordmike1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 & 1983
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
I will try to get some pics for you. Yes the 4R70W is the big 164 tooth flexplate. I did have to trim the block plate at the starter about 3/16" so it was flush with the bellhousing. The Tri-y's dump at the tranny pan level so they do drop down alot.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Last edited:

ChrisR1S

10/2013 STOTM Winner
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Mild 5.0
Transmission
Manual
fordmike1 that'd be great.

I didn't think tri-y's work on a 4x4 reguardless of bellhousing...

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66369&highlight=tri-y&page=4
i've only gotten vague answers like on that page. No one has yet to my knowledge provided pic evidence to them working or not on a 4x4...thus why ive been iffy about taking the plunge and getting them. but if they say its because of driveshaft angles, that should be fine; i have a lift waiting to be installed on my truck so the angle will change. and correct me if im wrong but if isnt the 4x4 framerails wide as or wider than the 2x4 frame rails? so i dont think that would matter? the biggest issue i see i would think would be the bell...

Any other input guys?:icon_confused:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The engine crossmember is different between 4wd and 2wd, but people have switched them out... so if there is a difference in width it isn't much.

JoeyB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
302 / TF heads & cam, Harland Sharp rockers, Intake, Holley Carb, MSD, 5 speed with Hurst Shifter
Transmission
Manual
I've got a 164 tooth flywheel with a 5 speed, and I'm using the James Duff headers which fit nicely. All I had to do was grind down the fins a little on the passenger side of the bell housing for the passenger side header.

ChrisR1S

10/2013 STOTM Winner
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Mild 5.0
Transmission
Manual
I've got a 164 tooth flywheel with a 5 speed, and I'm using the James Duff headers which fit nicely. All I had to do was grind down the fins a little on the passenger side of the bell housing for the passenger side header.
Yep, i remember you telling me, and i looked at the pics of yours; looks great :icon_cheers: better pics of the drivers side maybe? so i can guestimate where they would run in relation to the slave

Because of your build I've thought about going with the Duff headers since i know they'll fit with the large bell an 4x4, i'm just wondering if they'll hit the slave as well... i've been hunting through the Pirate4x4 forums and some F150 forums, and it seems like my bell with the ext. slave is just the bastard child as far as getting headers to clear:annoyed: No need for me to shell out the (i think) $300+ for them if i'll still have the same fitment issues i'm having with the headers i already posses.

1mean02hd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L V8
Transmission
Manual
Keep the pics coming. I'll be in the same boat shortly... What about running a hydraulic To bearing like a McLeod?

ChrisR1S

10/2013 STOTM Winner
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Mild 5.0
Transmission
Manual
and just grind off the tabs i have? thats what im leaning towards. Any advice on this from you T5 guys?

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
have any pic of the engine/bell/trans off the truck?
Is the clutch push, or pull?

Push to the front, or rear?

There are many options we can suggest to get around that...

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Before grinding off anything, you need to put the slave in place and see how the exhaust clears that. This is just another nail in the coffin for Hedman's "swap" header. And further proof that every swap is diffferent and mods must be made regardless of header selection.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals