• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

It's Official: I'm joining the 3.0 side in the 2.9 / 3.0 debate!

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
I got a chance to work on a 93 supercab 2wd 3.0 A4LD this week. This is the first 3.0 ranger I've had experience with. Comparing it to my 90 regular cab 2.9 auto (currently broken), both with 3.45 rear ends, I must say the 3.0 feels more powerful and definately accelerates faster. That makes up my mind about the 2.9/3.0 debate. I guess I can now join the 3.0 lover / 2.9 hater club!

This makes me want to find a nice 95-97 2wd, ext. cab, 3.0 ranger for a daily driver. My explorer is nice, but it's unbelievable how much nicer the 2wd extended cab ranger rides than the 4wd short wheelbase explorer. I think I'm gonna need my kidney's replaced if I DD the exploder too many more winters. Plus the few more MPG's would be nice.

Hewgull

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Pontiac
Engine Size
2.2 liters of clankity bang
Transmission
Manual
Don't be hatin':D

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
...drive a 3.0L with a 5-speed! Big difference from that auto.

Kdawg532

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6 God's gift to man
Transmission
Manual
yes drive a 3.0 with a 5spd and 4.10s:headbang::3gears:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
i dont hate the 2.9....its a good motor and had a good run. its just an outdated design. the 3.0 is for that matter too...which is why ford dropped in in the '09 model year trucks.

i enjoy an engine that revs...which is why i prefer the 3.0. i only wish the redline wasnt so low. that and the early 90's 3.0's are about as simple as it gets as far as engine managment is concerned.

Last edited:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i dont hate the 2.9....its a good motor and had a good run. its just an outdated design. the 3.0 is for that matter too...which is why ford dropped in in the '09 model year trucks.

i enjoy an engine that revs...which is why i prefer the 3.0. i only wish the 45redline wasnt so low. that and the early 90's 3.0's are about as simple as it gets as far as engine managment is concerned.
ALL of the Ranger engines are outdated. There's no difference between a 2.9 and 3.0 in technology. It's just stupid to build 2 of the same size engine. Ford has always been retarded about that.

A modern engine that can vary the valve timing and lift and vary the intake manifold geometry can operate a size above and below its former use. A modern 3.5 in a Ranger would be great.

Mechanickid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Personally I'm the 2.9's biggest fan. I remember as a kid when my dad would start his ranger the smell of 2.9 exhaust and the unmistakable sound a 2.9 produces. I think that the cologne V6 is very reliable as long as you give them care. My Favorite colgn v6 however is the 4.0 which is everything the 2.9 wishes it was.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Sorry guys, ever since my 2.9 lost oil pressure 15,000 miles after being rebuilt (rebuilder didn't replace the cam bearings) I've had a pretty low opinion of them. Designing the oil system so that the cam bearings (or any other single bearing) can wear a little and cause a total loss of oil pressure is simply retarded. That's really my only issue with the 2.9.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Get a heathly 2.9 against an equally heathly 3.0, with some 4.11's and a 5sp, and you'll be lovin the 2.9 again.

The 3.0 is to much of a revver for me. I like the fact that on the 2.9 you can lay the skinny pedal down and leave with the tires smokin'. The 3.0 just kinda chirps and pulls away.

later,
Dustin

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
I'm going to stick with the 2.9 side of the debate. Yeah, its a bit lower on the power than the 3.0 but I've seen one 3.0 catastophically fail, and one other that isn't very long for this world. I just pulled my 2.9 at 280k because it was tired, it ran good other than that. Have seen another 2.9 powered truck pounded beyond belief and it still runs awesome.

Hewgull

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Pontiac
Engine Size
2.2 liters of clankity bang
Transmission
Manual
Sorry guys, ever since my 2.9 lost oil pressure 15,000 miles after being rebuilt (rebuilder didn't replace the cam bearings) I've had a pretty low opinion of them. Designing the oil system so that the cam bearings (or any other single bearing) can wear a little and cause a total loss of oil pressure is simply retarded. That's really my only issue with the 2.9.
How many miles were on it when it was rebuilt? If he didn't replace the cam bearings and there were a ton of miles on it then its not retarded if the cam bearings were worn quite a bit when they failed. I'm not dogging on you, but I can see how they would fail if they weren't replaced

Last edited:

BeaterMan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 4.6, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
i joke with my buddies that my 3.0l would make a great boat motor. it can hold 4-4500 rpm going up i70 in the colorado mountains with 2 dirt bikes in the bed all day long! :headbang:

A damn good engine if i must say so.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
How many miles were on it when it was rebuilt? If he didn't replace the cam bearings and there were a ton of miles on it then its not retarded if the cam bearings were worn quite a bit when they failed. I'm not dogging on you, but I can see how they would fail if they weren't replaced
+1

This sounds like a rebuilder problem, not the engine :rolleyes:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals