• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Its business time.

Edgefevah

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
So here it is, my ford ranger. my first 4wd truck and over the time that I have owned it i have really grown to liking how easy parts are to come by for it and how cheap some of them can be.
This is what it looked like when I bought it.

since then I hydrolocked my first engine(totally didn't remember where the stock air intake was in the heat of the moment lol). Lesson learned. So alas I obtained a engine from a friend. installed it in my truck with the help of my brother and drove for about 3000km's and then that engine randomly dropped a valve.

As noted about the second engine I went through :icon_twisted:
I then went back to the same friend and he agreed to let me grab another engine from his yard. this time I heard the engine running and it ran like a top. Once we got some of the wiring and other crap out of the way I realized that the truck had recently got a head gasket replacement cause of new heads, and gaskets. So I then proceeded to removal of engine, and put it in my truck it came out of a 95 explorer and had the plastic intake which I quickly discarded.

Here is a picture of my truck as it sits in my garage right now.

I have removed all of the fender flares, and as you can see my attempt to only remove then clear coat failed miserably and no I am committing to doing a full paint job this summer. Until then I have decided to fix what I soon found out after a lot of summer driving and a trip home for Christmas that my head gasket was leaking. So since my insurance ran out and I can live in Calgary without insurance quite easily I have chosen to tear the thing apart.

So this evening I preceded to tear down the engine to the short block and see what how it looked.
Much to my surprise the heads looked to be in AMAZING shape and the pistons aside from some carbon build up looked good, there was actually still crosshatching on the cylinders.

:yahoo:
This make me happy cause it tells me that there was perhaps less km's on this engine then the donor trucks odometer showed? not sure what to think.

Here is a pic of the messy coolant leak.

So now that I am down this far I need to find out some things before I throw it together again as I want to throw one of the Comp Cams cams into it and do some gasket matching to open things up a bit. definitely throwing a 3 inch BL on it. finish the exhaust and who knows what else. I have also replaced the transmission with a M5oD-HD recently as my stock tranny had a bad second gear from the day I bought it.

I will be updating this regularly and will no doubt be asking for advice as I know of a few names here that are ver wise in the Ranger/Mazda/explorer ways.

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Cool little project you got there. Let us know what cam you choose for it and if it improves things much. Is it a 93 or 94? :icon_thumby:

miller time

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 1999
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0 duals out the back 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I like the rat rod look just do clear Coat

Edgefevah

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well I have bought a set of heads for my truck from gerry over on Rangerpowersports and still waiting for them to come in the mail but they are 98TM heads that are P&P and have dual springs, stainless valves and are as sexy as can be!!!!! Will be getting a 422 CAM and new smithbros pushrods, should make for some amazing POWER!!!!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals