• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Is your Ranger ever "done"? (Journey vs Destination)

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
As long as you include maintenance and repair items, no Ranger will ever be completely finished. Because stuff corrodes, parts wear and seals fail.

I doubt that any hobby item is ever completely finished. Thats how hobbies are. I will always be fiddling with my Ranger. When something fails or gets broken, it might get modified during repair/replacement. I also like photography. I will always be wanting a different lens, flash or even newer camera body or other doo-dads to try using. The camera kit will never be finished. My dad enjoyed model trains. To the day he died, the train layout was ever evolving. Thats part of the fun of hobbies.
True, maintenance and repairs factor makes it never done, but I think there is a temporary moment, when upgrades/mods are complete, nothings broken, and there is no maintenance due for awhile...A rare moment lol.

I guess it is a never ending process, hence the journey vs destination part. My photographer buddys are the same, ever evolving when it comes to their kit(s).

Perhaps that is the essence of hobbies, there's no destination, the journey is the whole point. Its funny were calling our trucks a hobby (as opposed to merely a method of transporting/travel)

Seems homes are like that too, the house is never finished, there's always something to upgrade, maintain or repair.

There are some hobbies I would like to "automate" and be done with, like my vegetable garden.

My old mans tool collection was ever evolving until his passing, which I kept most of, mostly for sentimentality (it wafts the essence of the old man's garage when I crack open his toolboxes) ...I wish he was around to see all the cordless technology nowadays (I have a Makita problem).

Thanks for sharing that bit.... if you don't mind telling, what happened to the trains after he passed?

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
I've only been building my Ranger for a couple of years and it's on the road now. I'm not good at leaving well enough alone so I'm sure I'll constantly find things to change and modify. I've had my Mustang since August of 1990 and I'm still making changes.
Haha I also suck at that, but would like to one day master the art of leaving well enough alone, at least on some things....

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
I see my current Ranger as an ever evolving project until there is nothing left of it to evolve.

Of course... there is a 2022 Bronco in my future that will suffer the same fate.

I've always kept my 4x4 Rangers pretty stock in the suspension.... a little level.... some good shocks... never over a 32 inch tire. It has served me well and I've put a bunch of pretty much trouble free miles on all of them. Mind you... I built dune buggies for nearly 30 years... that gave me my serious Off Road fix. My trucks were my drivers and hunting/fishing get around in the snow vehicles. So I personally like your idea of a few enhancements just to make a bit better... then drive it like you still owe money on it.
2022 Bronco?!

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
2022 Bronco?!
Ford is most likely going to push it back till the economy recovers from what I heard from ppl who work at dealerships but you know how the rumor mill works.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
None of mine are ever really done. I usually get a lot done on one and then start building another one at the same time so that doesn't help things either... wheeling rigs are especially bad... there is always at least two or three things broken at any one time, plus that many or more upgrades that need to happen.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
WOW 2 decades nice, how many miles? what parts of it are, at least for now, "done"?
It has been a slow moving build. For the first 10 years I didn't do much to it.

Engine (1987 5.0 modded to roughly HO spec) - done... but I would live to find another roller 5.0 to rebuild. Mine runs good but is a used pullout.
Trans (2004 M5ODR2) - done
T-case (1977 NP205 w/ twin stick mod) - done
Front axle (1995 D35) - done
Rear axle (1996 Eplorer 8.8)- done
Front suspension - done. Would like to replace the front shocks but that is a wear item.
Rear suspension (new shackles/hangers/bolts, new bushings in leaves) - mostly done. I need to replace a shock mount sometime
Interior - done aside from seat

To do:
Catch the stupid vibration in the back end that has been driving me nuts.
Reroute the DS header downpipe. When I did the 5-speed swap I had to change front driveshafts which has the boot right against the exhaust pipe.
Bodywork, mainly find a perfect hood, replace the cab corners, bed and tailgate. Paint.
Finish building rear bumper
Design and build front winch bumper
Upgrade electrical system
Bunch of other little crap

We actually killed the "Best Unfinished" trophy in our car club for this year because everybody in the club agreed no vehicle is ever finished.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Thanks for sharing that bit.... if you don't mind telling, what happened to the trains after he passed?
I photographed, documented and sold most of it on eBay. At one point, a gentleman contacted us and we brokered a deal with him for all the unsold items and the layout itself. What a project. Still have a few miscellaneous items I need to sell. My brother and I each kept a few sentimental pieces.

During one of Dad's last couple years while his health was failing, I created this video. Dad had moved several times throughout the years and the layout was redesigned and reborn each time. That's why there are so many unfinished areas in this last iteration of the layout.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
None of mine are ever really done. I usually get a lot done on one and then start building another one at the same time so that doesn't help things either... wheeling rigs are especially bad... there is always at least two or three things broken at any one time, plus that many or more upgrades that need to happen.
Lol call it ADD or just being a multi tasker, I too will jump from one project to another, usually when I get stuck on something needing info or parts....sometimes walking away and coming back to it later helps.
Usually goes something like this: I get stuck looking for a dropped fastener or stashed part or knowledge, give up and rotate to another project, end up in the same situation on that one, and during this new search, I will stumble upon what I was seeking for the previous project, and rotate back...so on and so forth....its funny how stuffs is downright in the way, until it goes missing soon as its actually needed.

I lost a gallon jug of coolant the other day, and found it in relatively plain sight after I just used distilled water 🤦‍♂️

On rare occasion of urgency, I will just go buy what I need (and more) and jump back on it, hence the mini hardware/parts store that has built up in my garage (and shed).

Time factor and job similarity will also effect what I'm working on...Like how I'm working on my Efan swap, but figure while I got electrical tools out, may as well wire in the LED lights that have been in a drawer forever...In the meantime my R1 needs some electrical TLC as well...

If I end up making a bumper or mount for those lights, while the weld and fab tools are out, and my light mounts cool down, I may as well tack up that simple grinder stand I could use, and already have the material for...I'll burn it complete later lol...

Then there's some projects best reserved for when it can be a single focused task, like when I did the cam synchro...Thats usually when Murphy has me fending off the most distractions (cell phone blows up, delivery guy shows up, random visitiors pop in, dogs get out etc...).
Ironically when I have nothing to do but hang out and drink beer, its dead quiet... soon as I lift a finger, shit hits the fan...Its like they know lol.... I may post a discussion (rant) on the topic of this, what I call "time burglars".

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
It has been a slow moving build. For the first 10 years I didn't do much to it.

Engine (1987 5.0 modded to roughly HO spec) - done... but I would live to find another roller 5.0 to rebuild. Mine runs good but is a used pullout.
Trans (2004 M5ODR2) - done
T-case (1977 NP205 w/ twin stick mod) - done
Front axle (1995 D35) - done
Rear axle (1996 Eplorer 8.8)- done
Front suspension - done. Would like to replace the front shocks but that is a wear item.
Rear suspension (new shackles/hangers/bolts, new bushings in leaves) - mostly done. I need to replace a shock mount sometime
Interior - done aside from seat

To do:
Catch the stupid vibration in the back end that has been driving me nuts.
Reroute the DS header downpipe. When I did the 5-speed swap I had to change front driveshafts which has the boot right against the exhaust pipe.
Bodywork, mainly find a perfect hood, replace the cab corners, bed and tailgate. Paint.
Finish building rear bumper
Design and build front winch bumper
Upgrade electrical system
Bunch of other little crap

We actually killed the "Best Unfinished" trophy in our car club for this year because everybody in the club agreed no vehicle is ever finished.
haha best unfinished, nice! Yea that would require some intense judging!

wow thats quite a laundry list you scratched through.

was the explorer rear swap to gain disc brakes?

have you considered a coyote or newer gen motor? maybe a 4.6? or is the 5.0 necessary? Sorry Im a noob when it comes to v8 swap talk (living in Cali emissions its a pointless dream)

Have you tried the 1 piece driveshaft swap? it solved my major vibration problem big time! (I went steel, not alum) If you did and its still buzzing, try new greasable u joints packed with grease and do the same to the splines on the shaft....or it could possibly be that shock mount throwing stuff out of whack, you might two birds one stone it fixing that.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
I photographed, documented and sold most of it on eBay. At one point, a gentleman contacted us and we brokered a deal with him for all the unsold items and the layout itself. What a project. Still have a few miscellaneous items I need to sell. My brother and I each kept a few sentimental pieces.

During one of Dad's last couple years while his health was failing, I created this video. Dad had moved several times throughout the years and the layout was redesigned and reborn each time. That's why there are so many unfinished areas in this last iteration of the layout.

That is awesome! Way more grand than I expected, looks like lots of time, money, and love invested.

And it sounds like a happy ending conclusion of sorts, so that's cool...

I did sorta the same thing w/ my old mans tools: sold/donated most of it, and kept the sentimental/useful stuff....

This video is rad! I'm gonna watch it all the way through later when I'm chillin out w/ a drink, and share it w/ my friends who would appreciate it. How long would you say combined it took to film/edit that video through all the layouts and redesigns? Impressive!

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Ford is most likely going to push it back till the economy recovers from what I heard from ppl who work at dealerships but you know how the rumor mill works.
I must out of the loop, haven't even heard of the rumor...My 1st vehicle was an O.J. replica bronco, sold it to a friend..I may try to track it down and restore it one day

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
haha best unfinished, nice! Yea that would require some intense judging!

wow thats quite a laundry list you scratched through.

was the explorer rear swap to gain disc brakes?

have you considered a coyote or newer gen motor? maybe a 4.6? or is the 5.0 necessary? Sorry Im a noob when it comes to v8 swap talk (living in Cali emissions its a pointless dream)

Have you tried the 1 piece driveshaft swap? it solved my major vibration problem big time! (I went steel, not alum) If you did and its still buzzing, try new greasable u joints packed with grease and do the same to the splines on the shaft....or it could possibly be that shock mount throwing stuff out of whack, you might two birds one stone it fixing that.
I think the original intent of the "best unfinished" was to give the high school kid with a rusty car that is just starting out something to keep him interested. With the rising popularity of ratrods or unfinished looking cars it kinda lost its purpose.

Explorer axle was mainly done for limited slip, disk brakes were a nice bonus.

Kinda sorta not really on the mod motors. Too big, doesn't fit worth a darn in a Ranger engine bay. I have mulled building a long distance family offroader Explorer. Tentantive powerplant would be GM or Mopar V8 so I could retain steering and heat/air conditioning. For my Ranger my theme is the truck that Ford could have built, most of my major parts was available from ford +/- 5 years of my truck being built in some variation.

My truck had a one piece driveshaft from the factory. Post 5-speed swap I didn't have the driveine angles quite right so I got a little vibe from that. I fixed the angles and the vibe got a lot worse... and I noticed my driveshaft was bottoming out. So the rear driveshaft is actually at the driveshaft shop right now getting shortened. It has new crosses in it.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
forgot to add, I wanted to ask whatcha thinking for an exhaust? I wouldn't mind more ideas....
Your exhaust plan sounds reasonable, should work well, I never did anything to the 4.0L I had so not sure on sound, my 2.3L is 2.25" with a Thrush welded baffled muffler and it sounds good.

VAM is vane airflow meter, LA3 is just the program designation on some turbo 2.3L ECM's that use the bigger of the two VAM's used on the engines. So, it only applies to the turbo 2.3L's.

I forgot a couple other things that are on the list for the '90, it needs a new style transmission crossmember and extended radius arms...

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Your exhaust plan sounds reasonable, should work well, I never did anything to the 4.0L I had so not sure on sound, my 2.3L is 2.25" with a Thrush welded baffled muffler and it sounds good.

VAM is vane airflow meter, LA3 is just the program designation on some turbo 2.3L ECM's that use the bigger of the two VAM's used on the engines. So, it only applies to the turbo 2.3L's.

I forgot a couple other things that are on the list for the '90, it needs a new style transmission crossmember and extended radius arms...
Yea sounds like it dont apply, but what I can relate to is forgetting things on the list...Mind elaborating on the crossmember upgrade? are you swapping to a factory update kinda like the 2 vs 1 piece driveshaft deal?

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
Eddo:

I have 2 goals, they are similar but different and for 2 similar but different vehicles:

87 Ranger 5sp with the 2.9L, the goal is 34+ mpg highway.

87 Bronco II automatic with 4.0L(currently being built), the goal is 30+ mpg highway.

Everything else is just to make those goals a reality.

In regards to an exhaust for a 4.0L, I was going to use the following:

JBA headers to a single 2½"
2½" hi-flow cat
2½" Borla XR1
a single 2½" tubing to tip

My porting engineer buddy suggested using dual 2" all the way out with a X-pipe in it. Based on his recommendations:

JBA headers to true dual 2"
two 2" cats
dual 2¼" inlet/oultlet Borla X-pipe muffler
two 2" tubing to tips

I like the idea of using a M5OD and look forward to upgrading the Ranger to a 4.0 clutch otherwise just driving these, I hope will do it for me ..)

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals