• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Is your Ranger ever "done"? (Journey vs Destination)

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Is your ranger ever done? as in you did all the mods you ever wanted, or none, and have no desire or need to repair, upgrade, clean, rearrange etc...I dont now if perfect is the word, but its done.

When I got my second '93 a few years ago, long after selling my beloved first one I had during my college years....I at first decided not to hack it up like I did to my old one during my misled youth. But after a while, caught the "itch" again, but perhaps a more mature form....where rather than making it unstock as possible, I just wanted to make it better than stock, and take it beyond where minor engineering improvements were limited by technology, corporate politics, marketing dept meddlings, or budget.

Ran it stock for awhile despite dropping in a big radiator (I always had cooling issues on my youth ranger, and my solution was pulling the thermostat 🤦‍♂️).

Then the cam syncro went out and started a snowball effect...replaced it and everything else questionable along the way (intake gaskets,injectors, pulleys, sensors etc)

Then (after researching TRS) threw in a set of skyjacker leveling springs....And swapped in a one piece driveshaft. And fixed the a/c.

Happy as a clam, I did a 300 mile desert trip to road test and day play....version 2.0 was so much better!

But that contentment didnt last long....I decided I need an E fan swap and a new exhaust...Now she is down again working out the Efan bugs....and waiting on exhaust parts...

Despite researching, and dreaming of long travel kits and v8 swaps, unlike my youth, I would like to keep the truck at least mostly stock looking....or at least factory upgraded (which I clowned on as a kid lol, I was such a fan of custom build it yourself bada$$ mod parts companies)

Anyways, I think after the Efan swap, and exhaust upgrade, my ranger will be done...for now

Although it would nice to clean up the steering and 4wd axle bind a bit...and those extended radius arms sure do look like an improvement...darn may as well go 16" travel kit w/ the custom ttb arms mmmmm :D

End note: I am not like this with any of my other vehicles, toys or otherwise...they just get maintenance, and repairs grudgingly....

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
20 years this august... nope not done at all.

Getting closer, hopefully I can get the power train and exhaust dialed in so I can move on to bodywork.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
20 years this august... nope not done at all.

Getting closer, hopefully I can get the power train and exhaust dialed in so I can move on to bodywork.
WOW 2 decades nice, how many miles? what parts of it are, at least for now, "done"?

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
I already thought of more stuff before my ranger is "done", for now. Once this Efan swap is dialed, I got some off road LED's I might as well implement...now wouldn't be a bad time, while I got all my electrical stuff out for the fan job, and downtime. Might as well do the prerunner bumper while I'm making light mounts. Standard stereo upgrade will also be a must...ugh never done.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I'm over 20 years on mine... November of '99 I got mine as a 2 wheel drive grandpa mobile (25" tires and 3.08 gears, fleet special, didn't come factory with a rear bumper or stereo) and now is definitely not that anymore...

Not done yet, but close. The last few years I've just been ironing out some of the things I'd done half ass before... I just put a better locker in the back, the next thing is to put in the big VAM and LA3 computer, then once I get a shop assemble a better engine that hopefully holds it's oil and do a 2.5" exhaust... I might put the Explorer build in front of some of that though...

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
I'm over 20 years on mine... November of '99 I got mine as a 2 wheel drive grandpa mobile (25" tires and 3.08 gears, fleet special, didn't come factory with a rear bumper or stereo) and now is definitely not that anymore...

Not done yet, but close. The last few years I've just been ironing out some of the things I'd done half ass before... I just put a better locker in the back, the next thing is to put in the big VAM and LA3 computer, then once I get a shop assemble a better engine that hopefully holds it's oil and do a 2.5" exhaust... I might put the Explorer build in front of some of that though...
aw yea I'd like to address the typical 4.0 oil leak issues mine has someday...dangit another thing on the list before its done lol

I am currently piecing together a 2.5" exhaust. I ebayed/ parts store purchased various straight lengths and bent pieces (45's and a 180 I could cut into 90's), and stubby lil "magnaflow" muffler (pretty sure its a knock off). Just waiting on the flange, only because I didn't wanna slice it off the original one, keeping og setup intact as a backup (just in case).

while planning this I noticed in stock form the outlets of my cats is actually 2.5", but then tapers down to 2" for the remaining exhaust. Lame.

Pics and post will follow soon as my flange shows up (and all goes well).

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo

forgot to add, I wanted to ask whatcha thinking for an exhaust? I wouldn't mind more ideas....

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo

Also whats a VAM and LA3 computer? does any of that apply to the 4.0? Sorry if I'm being noobyish....

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
15 years with mine.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
As long as you include maintenance and repair items, no Ranger will ever be completely finished. Because stuff corrodes, parts wear and seals fail.

I doubt that any hobby item is ever completely finished. Thats how hobbies are. I will always be fiddling with my Ranger. When something fails or gets broken, it might get modified during repair/replacement. I also like photography. I will always be wanting a different lens, flash or even newer camera body or other doo-dads to try using. The camera kit will never be finished. My dad enjoyed model trains. To the day he died, the train layout was ever evolving. Thats part of the fun of hobbies.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I've only been building my Ranger for a couple of years and it's on the road now. I'm not good at leaving well enough alone so I'm sure I'll constantly find things to change and modify. I've had my Mustang since August of 1990 and I'm still making changes.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
One's vehicles are never quite done. There is always that one more thing you want to do, even after the vehicle has been heavily modified.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I see my current Ranger as an ever evolving project until there is nothing left of it to evolve.

Of course... there is a 2022 Bronco in my future that will suffer the same fate.

I've always kept my 4x4 Rangers pretty stock in the suspension.... a little level.... some good shocks... never over a 32 inch tire. It has served me well and I've put a bunch of pretty much trouble free miles on all of them. Mind you... I built dune buggies for nearly 30 years... that gave me my serious Off Road fix. My trucks were my drivers and hunting/fishing get around in the snow vehicles. So I personally like your idea of a few enhancements just to make a bit better... then drive it like you still owe money on it.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
hey honey, good news, I've finally completed my truck! :yahoo:

that's great, now you can sell all those expensive tools you "needed" :shok:

hold on just a sec,,, I just got another idea

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
No such thing. Even the guys that do the push and pull circuit in hotrod building change stuff years after building their masterpieces.

Or guys that drive them this one is getting doors that open after 20yrs.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals