• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Is this the place for tow hooks

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
If, and I still don't recommend it, but IF you're going to use an eyebolt on that crossmember or anywhere else for recovery, it needs to be forged and rated for 2-3 times the weight of your truck. That is a minimum rating. Eye bolts made of bent rod will not hold. Cast, if they even make cast eye bolts, should not be trusted. What you are looking for is often called a "lifting eye". See pictures below. This is safety gear we're talking about. When pulling a loaded vehicle that is stuck in mud or against rocks and often uphill, the forces needed to make the pull can easily exceed twice the vehicle weight.

The two gray ones that I'm pointing to in this picture have m12 threads - slightly under 1/2" and they are rated for only 340kg. That's only about 750lbs. Not even close to what you need for recovery. The holes you have in that crossmember aren't much bigger than 1/2". And the way the eye bolts would be positioned there, you would be using those threads in a tensile stress situation.

On the contrary, a proper forged tow hook mounted to the bottom of your frame with two or three 1/2" or 9/16" bolts for each hook would be putting the bolts in a shear situation under load and they are much stronger that way. In addition to the force necessary to shear the bolts, they are adding a lot of friction between the hook and frame due to the compressive force that the torqued bolts produce.

20221031_161540.jpg

20221031_162634.jpg

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I never woulda got that truck home :D I think it's time I started building an engine hoist anyway :)

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I just go way overboard on recovery points these days. I had two of those Smittybilt tow hooks on the bottom side of my frame years ago and twisted the passenger side frame rail right behind the bumper when I got pulled... the hooks were fine, the frame is not. That skid plate is even worse. Those are only like 1/8" thick to begin with, there is no structure in the middle and it will take nothing to rip the eye bolt right out of there with a chunk of the skid plate attached to it. That eye bolt becomes a missile.

Just seen too many people hurt/equipment damaged from under engineered stuff.

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
As someone that has bent a B2 frame with a tow hook on a bad stuck and fixed bent frames on others, on a RBV how I do it is put the hook at the end of the frame rail where you would expect to find it, then on the inside of the frame running left to right, I install C channel. So, the bolt goes through alloy washer - tow hook - frame - c channel - alloy washer - nut. On a full sized Ford I run a 1/4" plate down the frame rail to the back six inches for extra support beyond the accordion, attached with 1/2" bolts, then weld the c channel to that. 4" 3/16" thick C channel is more then strong enough. You can drill some drain holes in the channel if you wish.

My current bumper is 5x5 structural steel and about 1/4" thick wall, so, the tow hooks are attached just to that. They held up fine using them as anchor points to pull the B2 and a 2K tandem axle trailer out of hub deep mud with the back bumper just touching the ground.

I used to just back the tow hooks with a 1/4" plate or big alloy washers, but, after tweaking a frame, now when attaching to the frame, I go with a structural steel cross member channel (U side up).

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
I tweaked the frame of my 88 F150, years ago, using the tow hooks to yank Holly bush stumps out of my yard.

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
Finally I get what's going on here.
Josh did you just have the one tow hook and that worked? I have two of these holes (that piece is bigger) so I guess I could use them but they aren't evenly spaced to the middle of the truck as I see them.
To me it sounds like even if you go with what would have been the stock mounting points (to the frame/horns) in later years, it's still possible to f things up under a lot of stress and reinforcement is advisable.
I'm just about 100% sure it requires going to the fog light valence otherwise there is no place to get the hooks/straps thru the bumper. So that's really a preliminary thing. If anyone has put in tow hooks and had to deal with the valence problem let me know.
Thanks and I am taking all under advisement for the time being because it is an upgrade and first I need to do a couple mntc/repair things.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
There really is no "easy or convenient" way to mount tow hooks to the front on some Rangers. That's why I still have those hooks in their original boxes. I eventually replaced the whole bumper and attached a front receiver hitch. That way I can use a receiver mounted recovery point and move it between front and rear as needed. That is still what I use for the front end.

As for the valence, I removed that early on so that rocks wouldn't remove it for me.

Last edited:

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
i would do the front hitch on my truck but since i have an edge, it would require cutting up the "special" bumper. but i have no tow hooks either

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
Hm... ok... this sounds nice. I don't think I've seen a pic yet of this have I? Can you post one?
Assoc. question do lot of people have winch on front? I imagine that takes yet more work.
I saw the winch flipping the turtled vehicle on the TRS video it was pretty impressive. Not that I'd probably ever do it but it was cool.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
i had a winch on the front of my wrangler for a few months, years back. the only use it ever got was me seeing if i could pull my jeep up my palm tree and unwinding/rewinding the cable to make sure it wasn't corroding.

i took it off and ended up selling it a year or two later because i got tired of moving it around the garage.

the front hitch though, that is a useful piece of equipment, and they make winch mounts for front hitches, if you wanted a winch also.

lets see if thiw picture works. its not my truck but its a 2004 edge

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Finally I get what's going on here.
Josh did you just have the one tow hook and that worked? I have two of these holes (that piece is bigger) so I guess I could use them but they aren't evenly spaced to the middle of the truck as I see them.
To me it sounds like even if you go with what would have been the stock mounting points (to the frame/horns) in later years, it's still possible to f things up under a lot of stress and reinforcement is advisable.
I'm just about 100% sure it requires going to the fog light valence otherwise there is no place to get the hooks/straps thru the bumper. So that's really a preliminary thing. If anyone has put in tow hooks and had to deal with the valence problem let me know.
Thanks and I am taking all under advisement for the time being because it is an upgrade and first I need to do a couple mntc/repair things.
Mine was basically just saying "this works for me", and went further to present its' being tested and passed.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Assoc. question do lot of people have winch on front? I imagine that takes yet more work.

Also you can see h where his TOW HOOKS are located. ( either side if the tag ). This is probably the ideal location, and if you cant go there, the frame is the next best place, not a skid plate.

maybe something like this would be easier

1667321768105.png

They're meant to attach to the frame so the car can be pulled.

Last edited:

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
Hm... ok... this sounds nice. I don't think I've seen a pic yet of this have I? Can you post one?
I saw the winch flipping the turtled vehicle on the TRS video it was pretty impressive. Not that I'd probably ever do it but it was cool.
Picture? OK.

20220910_154236.jpg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals