• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Is this the place for tow hooks

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
I don't know what this crossmember is called. It protects the steering. It's pretty thick and it's welded to the frame. Can I safely put tow hooks there or am I way better off to attach them more by the bumper mounts where the straps would be pulling more directly on the frame?
Just looks like the 2 holes are spaced about right and you could fit a hefty eye bolt in there. Question is whether it would just pull the thing off etc. Why would they have these holes unless they meant you to hook to them. If I can do this it saves me a ton of work and money (for fog light valence etc which I don't have and don't really care if I have it except about the tow hooks issue). I could tow hooks in in ten minutes.
Discovered these holes when chasing the rad leak which you see dripping off the crossmember.

IMG_3038.JPG

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
The strap would have to be hooked pretty low on your recovery vehicle for it to not be pulling up on your bumper once all the slack is out.

I'd mount them however the factory did it.

James Morse

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
My credo
Yes I agree. I wouldn't feel really good about going rogue on that.
Well actually I don't know how factory did tow hooks because that wasn't an option and I don't see any 97 that have tow hooks in the brochure and there is no mention of it.
Contrary to later where it's talked about plenty. Like skid plates, mine has them, but there's no option for them and no mention of them. Later on you had to get a specific model to get them and you will see skid plates as a line item and in the writeups.
Yeah in another thread they were describing how to do it right. It's just going to take some money thrown at it - valence, fogs, switch, bezel,... and there's still the question is my truck wired for them because I don't see it but logically it should be there and without it, it's not impossible but becomes something different as to the problems. In the 99 I can see wiring for fogs hanging down with an empty connector. I see no such thing in the 97 but it stands to reason it would have been in the standard wiring harness so I don't know wtf is going on there unless I'm just not seeing it.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I don’t quite understand why you think you have to do fog lights and valence if you install tow hooks. Those are completely separate issues. I would not install tow hooks to that crossmember. It would be better to have them installed at the frame. What kind of eye bolt were you considering? It would need to be a forged eyebolt as used in heavy lifting and rigging, preferably rated for 2-3 times the vehicle weight or more. A regular eye bolt like you buy at a common hardware store is nowhere near sufficient.

Your truck probably does have the fog light wiring. Most of them do. The light harnesses are usually behind the headlights. I’m not sure where the switch harness is on your model year. Balance is not necessary to have fog lights. It’s just a “pretty” piece.

James Morse

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
My credo
If I followed the TRS instructions it would be a regular tow hook held in by bolts attached to the frame. Which to me would be exactly correct.
The deal is if I attach to the frame there is no where for the strap to come out unless it's to the side of the license plate and that's not where they went in later years and it's too high.
The fog light valence is made differently so besides the obvious holes, it has a slot and that's where the tow hooks go. Then you can get to the frame. I could be wrong about that but I'm pretty sure that's the deal.
Look at the XL next to the STX in this brochure. You can see on the STX, you could put tow hooks, at least, there's an open area, and on the XL (type of valence I have) there's no slot there.

Attachments

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
I was envisioning the normal placement of the hooks on the bottom of the frame.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have a heavy eye-bolt in the piece you asked about, have certainly used it and it did well. The hole in your appears to be higher than the one in mine. The front skirt may have took a bit of bending but was fully in tack when we got there. As was stated, the one I used was a complete eye, not just bent around a bit. I got several of them at a flea market or yard sale a long time ago. I have the other two on a homemade trailer for heavy tie downs.

Yours looks more stamped where mine looks more molded, not sure if it's just the age or rust makes it look that way though

James Morse

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
My credo
That's interesting... so (josh b) you're saying you did use that lower piece. That's certainly easier.
If they are on the bottom of the frame I assume that means on the beams that run the length of the truck and the bumpers attach to. ?
Two different places.
Yeah josh the way you are talking about there's no bending the eye just goes thru the hole. You did mention it deformed skirt/spoiler, yeah, but sounds like no harm done. The metal bracket/crossmember itself wasn't bent though?

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That's interesting... so (josh b) you're saying you did use that lower piece. That's certainly easier.
If they are on the bottom of the frame I assume that means on the beams that run the length of the truck and the bumpers attach to. ?
Two different places.
Yeah josh the way you are talking about there's no bending the eye just goes thru the hole. You did mention it deformed skirt/spoiler, yeah, but sounds like no harm done. The metal bracket/crossmember itself wasn't bent though?
I'm saying it should be a solid poured eye-bolt, not a bent rod. That cross-member is welded as well as one can be, and I have every confidence in those welds holding, your mileage may vary and will need its own inspection in considering its strength. I know they're only 6 years apart, but not a day goes by they're not looking for ways to save a buck in their construction. Your cross-member might also have different construction, or maybe just that it has paint on it :D
Also I used every thread on it till it ran out of space, at least two nuts on it, I'm not sure how many, with a lock washer in between.

In my case if that truck was backwards down a 25 ft gully I would not hesitate to shackle a chain or cable to that eye-bolt, although I'd rather not add any trees into that equation

Attachments

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Yeah, you want something with a load rating on it and has a solid eye. Like this.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ahhh, yeah, the place mine is mounted is just about even with the lowest part on the front bumper, which is plastic, The metal bumper has a plastic piece made onto the bumper, below and behind that is a wind skirt sticking down another couple of inches, and is fairly flexible and that is the one that the tow rope pushes up a bit. We towed it about 8 miles around 3 years ago with no damage, most of which was on country roads

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
what is that piece its screwed into? its a weird shape, like its a guard for the steering stuff behind it

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Oh lord... NO. Do not put tow hooks or any recovery gear on that. It is a skid plate for the steering linkage/pitman arm/steering box and nothing else. F series trucks came with those starting sometime in the 80's, I bent several of them just pulling junker trucks around on flat ground with a tow strap. They are not meant to be pulled on AT ALL.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
what is that piece its screwed into? its a weird shape, like its a guard for the steering stuff behind it
It's just a crossmember shaped funny to protect steering stuff. Mine is only riveted on.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I really don't see the problem Shran, although I don't wish to dispute it, there's really nothing in there but the sway bar, and it floats.
The eyebolt is only 3 inches from the left frame rail, so the left will have little bearing, the steering linkage is connected to other places. There is a full cross member barely a foot away, directly over the front differential ,which also holds the motor mounts.
It won't worry me to continue using it as a tow hook.
I will however, refrain from flying it out of a canyon, or using it as a stump puller :D

The 93 is also welded all around, you can see one beside the bolt holding the swaybar mount

DSCF0091.JPG
DSCF0091.JPG

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals