• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Is this normal gas mileage?

medicbearusaf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
95 4x4 AT 4.0 with 31 10.5x15 tires... try to keep my rpm below 2500 at all times and still only gettin around 225 per tank from full till the gas light comes on .... figure im only averaging 11.5 mpg.. That cant be right...

tbirdsps

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Did you correct the speedometer/odometer when you install the 31" tires? If not you won't be able to compute the milage as the odometer will not record the actual milage nor will the speedometer be correct.

Just a thought.

medicbearusaf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i didnt install em i know at 70mph indicated im about 5mph faster per my wife pacing me... how do i correct the speedo/odometer?

97ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You need to replace a little gear next to the transmission. if you go under the tech library. Click me.

That should help you out. BTW I have a 97 4.0 with 31x10.5 and it sounds like we have similar driving habits. I get around 280-300 mi/tank. That usually takes 18.1 or so gal. to fill up. I also do a lot of stop and go driving and for shorter periods. Usually 10-15 min at a time.

-Keith

medicbearusaf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
sounds like the odo is sayin im gettin 220 ave but realisticly im gettin around 245 which is still way lower than i should be gettin

Last edited:

97ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeh according to my tire size I am acctually getting around 320ish/tank. I also keep my OD off except when I am over 55 mph and that seems to help keeping the RPMs in a happy place so the truck isnt always shifting. Because it loves to slip into OD when i am doing 45-55

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
It amazes me how many people don't know how to measure fuel mileage.

Miles per TANK is irrelevant. Not only are there at least half a dozen different sizes for RBVs, but you don't REALLY drain anywhere near all of it out even if you let the engine stall.

Measure the amount of fuel you put IN.

Broaner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 89
Make / Model
Ford, Nissan
Transmission
Manual
Amazes me as well. I run the same tires except with a 5spd. I multiply by 1.055 because 31's are 5.5% larger in rolling diameter. When measuring fuel econ its important to always stop filling at the same point. Normally I just stop when the nozzle shuts off. When I'm really keeping track I go to the same pump at the same station. I go like this:

(Miles indicated)(1.055)/(Gallons put in) My normal driving is 70% city 10 minute trips. I get as high as 18mpg in the summer and usually in the 16's in the winter.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
You know, for around $10, you can replace the speedometer drivegear and have the odometer be correct.... 5% is quite close to one tooth.

Quite literally, it's $10-$20 and about 45 seconds.

medicbearusaf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
ok well i filled up today at 225 miles it took 18.3 gallons thats 12.29 mpg... YUCK!! May be time to get rid of the ranger for now...

Thumper113

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ok well i filled up today at 225 miles it took 18.3 gallons thats 12.29 mpg... YUCK!! May be time to get rid of the ranger for now...
Yeah, that sucks alright. It may be time to fix it instead of getting rid of it.

How are the..../....what kind of shape are they in?...........

oxygen sensors?
air filter?
maf sensor?
spark plugs?
plug wires?
etc?

And most importantly...............Do you floor the pedal alot under 2500 rpm's?

I filled up yesterday & it took 18.1 gal with 302 miles (yes, I made my speedo accurate since I have 5.13's & 36" bias ply tires) on the trip meter since the previous fill up, combined highway & city driving. If my 4.0 is getting better than yours (assuming you are figuring your gas mileage correctly), something's wrong that needs attention or your driving habits might need to be adjusted.

medicbearusaf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
new k&n air filter 6 months ago,
new plugs and wires 8 months ago,
cleaned the maf 7 months ago,
not sure about the o2 sensors..

I did regularly keep it around 3k was gettin a lil over 200 miles, then toned my driving down and and watched the jack rabbit starts only gained about 30miles doing that.... last time i checked i wasnt throwing any o2 sensor codes.. someone at work suggested a may have a injector thats bad or not workin right...

dmanmccann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
I measure my fuel every tiem i fill up which is every 4-5 days...I drive a lot of interstate..ohh..I have a 99 ranger 4.0 reg cab..My book says i have a 16.5 gallon tank..ive ran her down to the fuel light and only put 13 gals in her...anyway usually drive 7-8 miles to college (NOT HIGH SCHOOL) and back then to work which is exactly 20 miles there and 20 miles back every day so thats almost 60 miles a day not including going out, i drive a day...DAMN.. I average about 17-18 mpg if im figureing right and i have stock everything including tires not 31s yet many mods on the way.....thought id put my 2 cents in....

Broaner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 89
Make / Model
Ford, Nissan
Transmission
Manual
I did regularly keep it around 3k was gettin a lil over 200 miles, then toned my driving down and and watched the jack rabbit starts only gained about 30miles doing that.... last time i checked i wasnt throwing any o2 sensor codes.. someone at work suggested a may have a injector thats bad or not workin right...
You're still refering to a pisspoor way to measure fuel econ.

dmanmccann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
well then tell me exactly how to do it since my method is so piss poor

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals