• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Is this legal? Insurance question...

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Right now i got my insurance through state farm.

Anyways, I looked intu hagerty "collector car" insurance.

According to their quote page, for 97 bucks a month i can have what equates to full coverage on my Ranger (87) and my F250 (77).

That is less then my good neighbor charges for one...

However, i put down main use as "pleasure" which is what everyone does on regular car insurance anyways, but that doesnt mean "daily driver" which i plan on the ranger being.

However if something happens cant i just say that my 97 is my normal DD?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They don't want collector cars being daily driven. They don't want your '57 Chevy getting hailed in the company parking lot after fixing 92 door dings over 5 years.

I just have liability on my '85. It isn't worth anything to anyone but me. Like $80/6mo. When I get the body redone so it looks like more than a 35yo Ranger in slightly better than average condition I will probably change that.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I don't see why not.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
They don't want collector cars being daily driven. They don't want your '57 Chevy getting hailed in the company parking lot after fixing 92 door dings over 5 years.

I just have liability on my '85. It isn't worth anything to anyone but me. Like $80/6mo. When I get the body redone so it looks like more than a 35yo Ranger in slightly better than average condition I will probably change that.
I live in michigan and get nailed hard. I got PLPD (basically nothing) in my 77 and its like 10 dollars less a month then full coverage on the wifes escape. They say its not "safe" because it dont have ABS, air bags, all that BS. The ranger is actually 9 dollars more a month then the 77.

Im not gonna claim it if i hit a deer or something but if it gets ass packed by a freightliner its nice to know ill get something.

I don't see why not.
I think im gonna do it. That way itll be way more affordable to have both legal and ready to go. I mean my drive to work is a whopping 26 miles round trip and the furthest out i can forsee either going would be 60 or 80 miles. Anything longer ill take the wifes escape or my 97 just for the cruise control.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
back when i had my first ranger (the '88 2wd) i also had a '77 nova 4 door (305 V8) . i had just basic liability on both of them, the preimuim breakdown was double for the ranger vs the nova. that ranger was a 2.3 and i thought it was rediculous. i could do over twice the damage to someone else with the nova, not to mention it was alot faster. i dont think i ever got a ticket in the ranger.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
back when i had my first ranger (the '88 2wd) i also had a '77 nova 4 door (305 V8) . i had just basic liability on both of them, the preimuim breakdown was double for the ranger vs the nova. that ranger was a 2.3 and i thought it was rediculous. i could do over twice the damage to someone else with the nova, not to mention it was alot faster. i dont think i ever got a ticket in the ranger.
Im sure my 77 would cause alot more damage then my wifes escape. But im not sure how they figure the ranger is more risky then the 77. Not to mention how the ranger is just as risky to them as the escape. Considering in all reality id class the ranger as safer then the escape (seeing as how itd be less rollover prone, has a full frame, etc) and if it gets totalled state farm owes me nothing for it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Im sure my 77 would cause alot more damage then my wifes escape. But im not sure how they figure the ranger is more risky then the 77. Not to mention how the ranger is just as risky to them as the escape. Considering in all reality id class the ranger as safer then the escape (seeing as how itd be less rollover prone, has a full frame, etc) and if it gets totalled state farm owes me nothing for it.
Medical expenses though.

With the steel dash in the '77 and probably only lap belts they might be figuring the probable funeral would cost them less than you hanging on for awhile after wrecking the Ranger with a padded dash and three point seat belts.

Vehicle cost is nothing, you wreck your $15k truck... that is like a piece of toast at a hospital.

Your wife's Escape is designed to be able to roll without crumpling up like an empty Dorito's bag.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
My 65 mustang has classic car insurance through usaa, there are a ton of rules that go along with it. Essentially if you get in an accident and can't prove you were using the car for only a handfull of situations allowed... They aint paying. So if you got nailed on the way to work your screwed. I also needed to have my car appraised which leads me to my next point...

Not to insult your beloved truck but what's the point of full coverage on a truck with a monetary value so low the insurance company would just total it if the repair cost more than your deductible? There's no way classic car insurance can be less than basic liability.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Insurance premiums are based on exposure(miles driven monthly or yearly) and replacement cost("totaled" cost to insurance company)

1987 Rangers value isn't much so would most likely be "totaled" in any accident, so monthly premium would be low for that

Miles driven is the big one for you if its a DD, if you lie about it then they can walk away

And FYI, all our insurance rates went up with airbags, lol
As said above Death pay out was much less than the medical bills that continue on when insured survives a bad crash
You can't put a price on life, but you can do the numbers and it simply costs more :)

As an aside, lol
I always liked the idea of liability insurance being paid at the gas pump, a per gallon added tax, the more miles you drive the more you pay
Then a SMALL refund at tax time for a no accident year, safe driver discount
For comprehensive coverage you go to private insurance as you like

No more uninsured drivers, if they bought gas they are covered, license, no license doesn't matter

97ranger xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
were you ever in the service? if so you could get usaa. i tell them i'm doing 7k miles a year in my '02 ranger and even
that is exaggerating lol

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not to insult your beloved truck but what's the point of full coverage on a truck with a monetary value so low the insurance company would just total it if the repair cost more than your deductible? There's no way classic car insurance can be less than basic liability.
You can get an agreed value policy type thing if your vehicle is worth more than the average vehicle of the same model.

Especially with older vehicles it is easy to exceed the street value with restoration and/or upgrades.

Eons ago on here, I think it was Paleblue? totally restored his second gen. Thing was beautiful. I forget what happened but he rolled it into a bunch of trees on the way to get it appraised for insurance.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
yeah, lots of "you can only" and "you can't" in that type of insurance. the big one will be you will only be allowed to drive it so many miles per year, probably much less than 7500. first thing, dump STate farm ASAP!! I had them and went to Am Fam a few years ago, and that dropped my car insurance by several hundred dollars every 6 months, and that is with the wife having an at fault accident within 3 years. Also saw a 400 dollar decrease per year in my home owner's insurance.

STate farm was great when I started with them in 2003, but they bloated up over the years and with no claims on two different properties in the 15 year period my rates still went up quite a bit. the real kicker was when they dropped my wife off of my Ranger (she wasn't even the primary driver!!) no reason given, and that forced me to go look for new insurance. once I talked to Am Fam and explained everything to them, it was a no brainer.

AJ

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I dont have full coverage on the 77. Just my 97 and the wifes escape. The ranger isnt even insured as it is just sittin in the barn lol.

According to hagarty it can be used for "occasnial trips to work" and "other fun actvitys", so thats a pretty loose definition of pleasure. I may keep the ranger on state farm because it will be a DD, the 77 id like to keep insured as a "spare" but at what state farm charges 400/mo to insure everything is outragous (all 4 vehicles).

That way i can still use it and it wont just sit around and rot, as much as i should just off it i hate to see it chopped up and turned into god knows what.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Insurance premiums are based on exposure(miles driven monthly or yearly) and replacement cost("totaled" cost to insurance company)

1987 Rangers value isn't much so would most likely be "totaled" in any accident, so monthly premium would be low for that

Miles driven is the big one for you if its a DD, if you lie about it then they can walk away

And FYI, all our insurance rates went up with airbags, lol
As said above Death pay out was much less than the medical bills that continue on when insured survives a bad crash
You can't put a price on life, but you can do the numbers and it simply costs more :)

As an aside, lol
I always liked the idea of liability insurance being paid at the gas pump, a per gallon added tax, the more miles you drive the more you pay
Then a SMALL refund at tax time for a no accident year, safe driver discount
For comprehensive coverage you go to private insurance as you like

No more uninsured drivers, if they bought gas they are covered, license, no license doesn't matter
So does that insurance cover my lawn mower? I use the same gas in that. What about people with electric cars? They don't have insurance? Do they pay a separate fee based off mileage?
I do like the idea, but who is the insurance "company"... the government? I work for the government, I see the wasted money. It would cost us twice as much as it does now!

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I recently had to switch from progressive after 9 years. I literally been with them for 9 years, had direct payments every month set up, never any missed payments and never had any accidents up til last October when my brakes weren't working. That one accident in 9 years made my rates double. Literally double. So I told them to get looking for new insurance bc that was bullshit. I now have Ohio Mutual and it is a yearly policy, not every 6 months and my rates went back down to what I was paying with progressive before the accident. I will say rangers are weird when insuring. My 96 4cyl 5 speed 2wd was dirt cheap like $25-30/mo for liability and my 99 v6 auto 2wd is like 60/mo. Not sure why it went up so much for a slightly different truck but it did... without any reason why as well. I remember when I first got progressive I was paying $26/mo for my 96 on liability and an 04 dodge stratus on storage. it was cheaper to have the second vehicle in storage than to not have it at all.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals