• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

is there any way to improve a vinyl dash's appearance...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
my red vinyl dash has cracks and a few places where the vinyl covering is missing, entirely, as it was this way, already, when I purchased the vehicle...

since, my vinyl dash is red... I was wondering if it work to get a tube of rtv red silicone and patch the areas where the vinyl is missing, entirely, and feather edge it to the surrounding vinyl to fill several areas of missing vinyl, and make it as smooth as possible... and then to try using the rtv red silicone to cover all the remaining cracks, elsewhere, on the vinyl dash...

would this idea work, or would the rtv red silicone decompose the the foam underneath the vinyl dash, where areas of the dash's vinyl are missing...

if the rtv red silicone won't decompose the dash's foam... do you think the appearance would look better, if the rtv red silicone was spread out, entirely, over the entire dash, as smooth as possible, instead of just using it for patching the bad areas...

has anyone ever tried doing this, before, as my vehicle's dash couldn't look any worse than it, already, does... and doing anything would, hopefully, be an improvement, compared to what it looks like, now...

but, I wan't to find out, first, if this idea would work, before, I try doing it...

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
Best thing I can say is to try it out on a inconspicuous spot and see how that goes.

I don't see why it would eat the vinyl away, but I don't really know what's in silicone.

Best of luck, and let us know.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have seen vinyl dash repair kits available in stores, I have always wondered how they work but I have never tried one.

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
OOH, I just remembered about the replacement dashes that LMC truck sells.

I wonder how those are?

If anyone has used those... I am interested to hear because I could use a new one.

Forcus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I don't think silicone would work because you can't sand or shape it after you dried.

I have not used the vinyl repair kits but it looks like they allow you to work them flush and then apply a "grain" form to the top so it matches the surrounding area.

The LMC dash covers are a formed cover that uses adhesive to attach to the old dash cover. From what I've seen, they are good.

bluovaldude

Reaction score
You can always pull the dash, and paint it ... Spray a few layers of high build primer down, give it a nice sanding beteween coats to help smooth out the highs and fill in the lows, then top her off with a fresh coat of red to match the rest of the interior.

I have seen this done a few times and almost give it a look as if you fiberglassed the dash.

I really just depends on how much work you are wanting to do, or really how much this problem bothers you.

Either way good luck and post pics of your out come when you get it finished.

dirtsquirt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 and 2005
Make / Model
ford And jeep
Engine Size
2.9 And 4.0
Transmission
Manual
If i was you i would find a car/truck detail place! you know the guy's that detail cars for sales lot's. Odd's are with a little honey! maybe a dozen donuts, you might get some advice and maybe a little product...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If i was you i would find a car/truck detail place! you know the guy's that detail cars for sales lot's. Odd's are with a little honey! maybe a dozen donuts, you might get some advice and maybe a little product...
in reading your response, it's rather obvious, you appear to be hungry for eating a dozen donuts...lol..

bet you wish, you were, already, working at one of these car/truck detail places, that you mentioned, where you could be giving out your advice for donuts...lol..

cause, apparently, you don't seem to have any worth while advice to contribute, here, in regard to the discussed topic...lol..

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
my girlfriend's dad used red rtv to patch a missing spot on his armrest (buick riv) it doesnt look all that bad but it doesnt match at all as far as color goes. doesnt match texture either as far as that is concerned. it doesnt look any worse than a big hole there though.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You can always pull the dash, and paint it ... Spray a few layers of high build primer down, give it a nice sanding beteween coats to help smooth out the highs and fill in the lows, then top her off with a fresh coat of red to match the rest of the interior.

I have seen this done a few times and almost give it a look as if you fiberglassed the dash.

I really just depends on how much work you are wanting to do, or really how much this problem bothers you.

Either way good luck and post pics of your out come when you get it finished.

I've never heard of anyone doing that, before, but it sounds like a good idea...

wished I had the opportunity to see what it looks like, from someone who has, already, painted their dash...

the thought had crossed my mind, before, wondering if anyone had ever tried doing this, before, as you mentioned, you had seen...

I don't suppose you'd have any pictures, to get a better idea of what a dash redone like this and painted, would look like...

is it very hard scraping the foam layer off the dash's metal surface, before, sanding and painting it... or, does the foam come off quite easy...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
my girlfriend's dad used red rtv to patch a missing spot on his armrest (buick riv) it doesnt look all that bad but it doesnt match at all as far as color goes. doesnt match texture either as far as that is concerned. it doesnt look any worse than a big hole there though.
I wonder how it would turn out and look, if a person took a rubber or plastic auto body bondo putty spreader, and spread a thin layer of red silicone, over the entire dash, cracks and all, trying to get it as smooth, as possible... even though it wouldn't, obviously, turn out to be perfect...

maybe, hopefully, it would look better than it does, now...lol..

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I wonder how it would turn out and look, if a person took a rubber or plastic bondo body putty spreader, and spread a thin layer of red silicone, over the entire dash, cracks and all, trying to get it as smooth, as possible... even though it wouldn't, obviously, turn out perfect...

maybe, hopefully, it would look better than it does, now...lol..

bluovaldude

Reaction score
I've never heard of anyone doing that, before, but it sounds like a good idea...

wished I had the opportunity to see what it looks like, from someone who has, already, painted their dash...

the thought had crossed my mind, before, wondering if anyone had ever tried doing this, before, as you mentioned, you had seen...

I don't suppose you'd have any pictures, to get a better idea of what a dash redone like this and painted, would look like...

is it very hard scraping the foam layer off the dash's metal surface, before, sanding and painting it... or, does the foam come off quite easy...
Really you are not takeing any of the foam off just basically smoothing out the primer on top of it to even things out.

Here is a link to what I am talking about, when you paint it. http://www.rangerpowersports.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136217

Yes I know the dash is different but it will be the same process, and he even goes step by step to show you what he did.

dirtsquirt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 and 2005
Make / Model
ford And jeep
Engine Size
2.9 And 4.0
Transmission
Manual
in reading your response, it's rather obvious, you appear to be hungry for eating a dozen donuts...lol..

bet you wish, you were, already, working at one of these car/truck detail places, that you mentioned, where you could be giving out your advice for donuts...lol..

cause, apparently, you don't seem to have any worth while advice to contribute, here, in regard to the discussed topic...lol..
Well you just showed (your not to bright) I had dash repaired. Cost me a dozen donuts... And you never know

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals