• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Is there a transfer case with full time and part time modes that would swap into a Ranger/Bronco2?

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Been wondering this for a while if there is a transfer case out there with full time and part time 4WD modes that would swap into a Ranger or Bronco 2? The roads in the winter here in Idaho are forever changing so having a full time 4WD setting would be great, just engage it and forget it, and not have to worry about shifting in and out of 4WD when trying to park, or when you hit bare pavement.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Have a read here: https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?threads/ranger-awd-build.161535/

Yes, you can do what you want
You are just changing the transfer case, which will bolt to current 4x4 transmission, drive shafts will need to be changed to match later model transfer case
I would think current 4x4 controller would work with the 3 position models, just the labels on the switch would be wrong, but don't know for sure, so maybe pull all the stuff from donor, lol

AWDs do have a different power split, 30/70 front/rear, because of the coupling that allows slipping in the transfer case
Direct drive is 50/50 split

Last edited:

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The problem with all wheel drive (its not really full time 4x4) is it ends up with 3 differentials. (One in the front axle one in the rear and one in the transfer case) Meaning you are still technically only sending power to one wheel in a low traction situation but now it could be any 4 of the wheels instead of just one of the rears.

Companies like Subaru make awesome all wheel drives because they have some pretty good engineering behind their system to make sure power goes to the traction wheel(s) and not the ones slipping.

Simply sticking a awd transfer case in a ranger or bronco 2 really wont help performance in the snow because the first tire that slips (front, rear, left, or right) is still gonna spin and the other wheels do nothing. The reason full time all wheel drive works amazing in some vehicles is because like I said, the computer controls and other devices built around it to make it advantageous.

A decent set of snow tires, and a mild limited slip, and some weight in the rear even on a 2wd can turn it into a beast in the snow.

My opinion on the matter only.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Have a read here: https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?threads/ranger-awd-build.161535/

Yes, you can do what you want
You are just changing the transfer case, which will bolt to current 4x4 transmission, drive shafts will need to be changed to match later model transfer case
I would think current 4x4 controller would work with the 3 position models, just the labels on the switch would be wrong, but don't know for sure, so maybe pull all the stuff from donor, lol

AWDs do have a different power split, 30/70 front/rear, because of the coupling that allows slipping in the transfer case
Direct drive is 50/50 split
That's AWD, not full time 4WD....was thinking more along the lines of what Jeep had with the Selec-Trac 4WD. 2WD/4WD Part TIme/4WD Full Time/Low Range. In full time it had an open center differential to allow 4WD use on pavement regardless of traction conditions, then you had conventional part time 50/50 split and low range.

With full time 4WD like the Selec-Trac its in 4WD all the time not rear wheel drive till traction is lost like AWD systems tend to do.

The Aerostar didn't have part time or low range it was just a single speed with a torque split setup.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
The problem with all wheel drive (its not really full time 4x4) is it ends up with 3 differentials. (One in the front axle one in the rear and one in the transfer case) Meaning you are still technically only sending power to one wheel in a low traction situation but now it could be any 4 of the wheels instead of just one of the rears.

Companies like Subaru make awesome all wheel drives because they have some pretty good engineering behind their system to make sure power goes to the traction wheel(s) and not the ones slipping.

Simply sticking a awd transfer case in a ranger or bronco 2 really wont help performance in the snow because the first tire that slips (front, rear, left, or right) is still gonna spin and the other wheels do nothing. The reason full time all wheel drive works amazing in some vehicles is because like I said, the computer controls and other devices built around it to make it advantageous.

A decent set of snow tires, and a mild limited slip, and some weight in the rear even on a 2wd can turn it into a beast in the snow.

My opinion on the matter only.
No its not AWD, that stuff only works once you've lost traction then it may send power to the other axle. Full Time 4WD is sending power to both axles all the time regardless. Think of the Jeep's Selec-Trac 4WD system in full time 4WD mode, its sending 48% front 52% rear all the time, and with the open center differential in full time mode it can vary that output as well. With Selec-Trac you have the added part time mode for when you need the 50/50 part time traction, and also gives you low range and 2WD.

The Selec-Trac is mechanical, no computer which is the type of system I'd want in the Bronco 2. The Bronco 2 has the manual transfer case already....

So Ford never made anything similar to Selec-Trac, or rather none of the NP/NV transfer cases would bolt in so I was hoping that Ford at some point had something like that with a transfer case that would bolt in.

I love the full time 4WD in my Jeep, its amazing in snow/ice, which is why I'd love to have a similar setup in my Bronco 2. I've yet to need part time 4WD in the Jeep, not sure how deep the snow would have to be in order to have to use part time LOL....had 2 feet of snow a couple winters ago, had the jeep in full time 4WD the whole winter, never had any issues with snow tires on it. My Jeep also has a Trac-Lock rear differential, so most times I get around in 2WD just fine. My previous Jeep was only full time 4WD but had low range, it did great too, but on occasion it would have been nice to have part time 4WD and 2WD that it lacked, which is where the Selec-Trac 4WD transfer case came in, it gave you both. Sadly the NP242 won't bolt up to anything that Ford has...and as far as I know there aren't any adapters and the shift linkage would be quite interesting to cobble together too.

I know they had some sort of auto setting in some Explorers for a while but those were electronically controlled if I recall, and was more of an AWD system than full time 4WD as it wasn't in 4WD all the time just when speed differences between axles was detected.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I think the BW4405 would do what you want, it bolts in place of a BW1350 or 1354

It used the GEM module for 4WD control(Control Trac) but it was a separate section in the GEM so you could wire one up in any vehicle

Good read here: https://ricksfreeautorepairadvice.com/borg-warner-4405-transfer-case/

Its 4WD auto, clutch pack is adjusted on the fly using front and rear drive shaft RPM sensors
Or 4H clutch pack locked, 50/50 power split
Or 4Low clutch pack locked, 50/50 power split

It doesn't have 2WD but its already been proven on the 2001 and up Rangers that front axle always engaged(Live Axle) only cost .2-.3MPG, and I doubt it would even be that, with Live axle the front wheels turn the axles and front drive shaft, with the AWD the front drive shaft drives the front wheels, which is more efficient

Last edited:

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
NorthWest FabWorks 5 to 6 bolt transfer case adapter (http://www.northwestfab.com/25-Spline-5-Bolt-Ranger-to-6-Bolt-Round-Adapter-Kit_p_2701.html# ), then bolt up any standard round pattern transfer case.

Alternatively, for those of us with 5.0/4R70W. NorthWest FabWorks makes a Ford spline pattern input gear for their blackbox transfer case doublers - their black box doubler is a np 231/241/242 planetary housing. If you asked politely, they would sell you just the input gear separately.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
I think the BW4405 would do what you want, it bolts in place of a BW1350 or 1354

It used the GEM module for 4WD control(Control Trac) but it was a separate section in the GEM so you could wire one up in any vehicle

Good read here: https://ricksfreeautorepairadvice.com/borg-warner-4405-transfer-case/

Its 4WD auto, clutch pack is adjusted on the fly using front and rear drive shaft RPM sensors

It doesn't have 2WD but its already been proven on the 2001 and up Rangers that front axle always engaged(Live Axle) only cost .2-.3MPG, and I doubt it would even be that, with Live axle the front wheels turn the axles and front drive shaft, with the AWD the front drive shaft drives the front wheels, which is more efficient
Seems there were 2 different versions, 95-96 Explorers had 2WD, auto, high, low settings....then for some reason they dropped the 2WD mode for 97+ models. I'll have to check around and see if I can locate one. Only issue is, my Bronco 2 is manual shift 4x4, so I'd have to pull a switch assembly and GEM out of an Explorer and figure out speed sensors I assume otherwise I don't think it would work in auto.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo

One issue I see with that setup would be you'd have to leave the hubs engaged all the time since it doesn't have a 2WD mode in the newer versions of that case, otherwise you'd burn up the viscous coupler.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, but its in 4auto, nothing like 4high, no pulling when turning, its very much like 2WD, and as said MPG difference is negligible

The drive shaft speed sensors are in the transfer case
The 1995-1997 transfer cases will have speedo gears, so you can use a speedo cable and VSS combo for cluster and GEM

Found this wiring diagram: http://tcase.rsgear.com/articles/2001_05.pdf

Some wires won't be needed

Also a good read here: https://www.explorer4x4.com/controltrac_mod.htm

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Yes, but its in 4auto, nothing like 4high, no pulling when turning, its very much like 2WD, and as said MPG difference is negligible

The drive shaft speed sensors are in the transfer case
The 1995-1997 transfer cases will have speedo gears, so you can use a speedo cable and VSS combo for cluster and GEM

Found this wiring diagram: http://tcase.rsgear.com/articles/2001_05.pdf

Some wires won't be needed

Also a good read here: https://www.explorer4x4.com/controltrac_mod.htm
The trouble is with no 2WD mode you'd have to leave the hubs engaged, you couldn't disengage them like you would normally. So that would negate the purpose of swapping transfer cases. If I can ever find a 95-96 4405 it would be great, as those had 2WD as well. If you do not have a front driveshaft with a 4405 transfer case you burn up the clutch pack as its sensing a speed difference between front and rear drive shafts...so it would be sending power out the front to nothing all the time if you didn't have the hubs engaged.

For all the electrical crap you have to go through its far from worth trying to swap. If it were a mechanical unit like the NP242 transfer case it would definitely be worth it....another huge plus for Jeep....I can swap a 231, 242, 241, 247, or a 249 and not have to change anything they all bolt in and requires swapping a 2 pin plug under the dash to show the proper 4WD position outputs.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You wouldn't need 2WD, 4auto is the same thing, power goes to rear wheels unless they slip
So no jumping front wheels on tight turns like in 4high

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
You wouldn't need 2WD, 4auto is the same thing, power goes to rear wheels unless they slip
So no jumping front wheels on tight turns like in 4high
You want 2WD for the summer and times where there isn't snow. full time 4WD in my Jeep doesn't jump the front wheels around either...and its 100% mechanical, no electrics to fiddle with which is why I was trying to see if Ford ever had a similar transfer case that was mechanically operated, but I haven't found anything. The 4405 is electronic only unlike the BW1350/1354 which could be setup either way.

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well, Ford did have the New Process 203 full-time transfer case.

I do not see how you could reasonable adapt that to your vehicle.

I did have a 1995 AWD Aerostar that did well in the snow using that system with the rear LS. BUT, lose a front axle or hub and you were stuck until you removed the fuse for the computer under the driver's seat. Plus, no 4lo. As previously noted by others.

I have an AWD 4.0L 2005 Merucry Mountaineer that can drive with a missing front driveshaft, but, I would have to check to see if it offers 4LO. Been almost two years since I drove it ...

You might find spending your money on select-able lockers better money spent.

What I highly recommend is the Winter Kedge tires from treadwright.com. Been buying from them for a long time. Awesome traction, especially in the mud tread, but, you might want to consider the AT tread if icy roads are your main concern. They no longer carry them in P235s like you use, but, I found a company that offers ones like them :

I found with good tires, I could keep my 1986 and 1988 B2 in 2hi for MA winters, just with the hubs locked in if bad weather was expected. I off roaded my B2 many times in 2hi in Maine until I actually got stuck. A B2 in 2H with excellent tires very rarely needs 4hi on pavement from my experience.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals