• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Is there a difference in a 4x4 3.0 and a 2x4 3.0

johnmillward

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
My daughters engine bit the big one a couple of days ago and I have been looking into either rebuilding or replacing the 3.0. I think I have come to the conclusion based on the thinness of my wallet that a recycled 3.0 is the way to go. The truck is a 4x4. I looked at my local auto recyclers and found that they have 3.0s from both 4x2 and 4x4 but that the 4x2 3.0s are just over $500 and the 4x4 is around $900. Is there a difference between the two motors other than maybe the oil pan?

johnmillward

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
By the way her truck and the engines are all 1994

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Other than the oil pan and oil pickup in the pan, no there would be no difference, in 4x2 or 4x4 setup

Could be mileage difference or Flex Fuel(which doesn't matter, if you swap injectors with yours)

Also the year, Ranger '91-'94 had distributors, '95 and up were Coil Pack DIS

There were other changes every few years, good read here:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/3_0performance.shtml

Because of sensor placement and type the best swap method is to just use the long block(heads/block) from the "new" engine, bolt all the other parts from your 3.0l to that.
So the year of the "new" engine won't matter, even if it has a distributor or CPS, they are the same mechanically so can be swapped for whichever you need

johnmillward

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
Would I be better off getting a much newer engine say from a 2004 of so because of the mileage and then just using the long block? would all of my sensors and distributor bolt right up to that?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, I don't see any problem with using a newer long block.

In '99 I think they did a redesign and changed to longer head bolts, so keep track of the model year of the engine, because if you get parts for a '94 3.0l it might not be the same for an '04.

Just as a heads up I think the '03-'06 3.0ls had valve seat issues, TSB here:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/s420/2010-10-11_155436_04_rANGER_tsb05-26-03.pdf/

On the 4.0l OHV's they redesigned the oil pan gasket 3 or 4 times, and they are not interchangable, not sure on the 3.0l, but easy to check part numbers.

Check parts numbers to see if intakes line up, they should.

I have not done a 10+ year swap but from what I see I don't think there would be a problem if you are just using the long block.
If you can get the VIN number of the vehicle the 3.0l comes from it can help in IDing the exact model, as they change versions mid year some times.

This thread has some good info for 3.0l up to 2003: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/3_0-build.html

The FWD(front wheel drive) refers to vehicles like the Taurus/Sable not 4WD, these 3.0l engine were transverse mounted, but the block and heads are the same as RWD or 4WD Rangers, but because the coolant flowed out of the back of the engine to the rad the head gaskets were different to make the flow from front to back, head gaskets can be changed to Ranger gaskets and those 3.0ls can also be used.

Also price out Long Block exchange, rebuilt 3.0l long block price might not be that much more and you are not buying a "pig in a poke", used engines are tested and usually guarantied but........labor to remove and reinstall is not, lol.

Last edited:

johnmillward

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
could I use an engine out of a 2007 Taurus because they are only asking $325 for them.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Be careful when looking at a 3.0 from a Taurus/Sable. They used 2 different 3.0L v6s but only one will work in your daughters truck.
The Vulcan 3.0 is an OHV/pushrod engine with 2 valves per cylinder. It's basically the same as the engine in your daughters truck, and should work with only minor changes.
The Duratec 3.0 is a DOHC engine with 4 valves per cylinder and has nothing in common with your daughters engine. It would require lots of customization and money to work in a Ranger.

As for your original question, there shouldn't be any difference between a 3.0 from a 2wd or 4wd ranger.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, they offered both 3.0l models between 2000-2007
LX and SE will have Vulcan, the one you want

SES and SEL offered Duratec as an option, so could be either

2008 both were dropped for the 3.5l Cyclone.

But keep in mind you DO have to change the head gaskets, no getting around that.

johnmillward

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
yes we have a Duratec in my wife's mazda tribute so I do know the difference between the motors. thanks for the heads up on the head gaskets. I will probably go with the Taurus engine since it is so much newer and most have lower miles than the 1994 that the recycler has on hand.

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have done 2 late model Taurus engines in my truck (2 = long story) but they work great just change the head gaskets to the RWD versions for the Rangers and swap your intake, exhaust & accessories. On my 2wd I am even using the Taurus oil pan as my original pan had an extra few holes in it. You can generally find the Taurus engines much cheaper, I think my last engine was a 2007, had <10K on it and I paid $300 ish for it, delivered to my door.

JP02XLT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals