• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Is the Thunderbolt Considered Rare?

mdmiller50

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
This is my 2002 Thunderbolt. I have read that there were only about 800 of them made. Can anyone here give me some history about this version of the Ranger? I am always getting asked to sell it, but that's not happening. I love this truck. The only modifications I've made is upgrading the wheels to a set from a Mustang GT. The originals got badly corroded after the truck spent a winter in the Chicago area. Thanks!

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
They're pretty rare. 2002-2003. Not sure that I've seen one in person. Probably even rarer to find one with the big thunderbolt decal on the side.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
There is a Lady I see in morning traffic on my way to my kid's school, that has one. Looks just like yours except the wheels. I've only seen that one in real life, and always in motion.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
They're pretty rare. 2002-2003. Not sure that I've seen one in person. Probably even rarer to find one with the big thunderbolt decal on the side.

Apparently, someone added that Thunderbolt decal. It's crooked. LOL!!

Or Ford had someone with bad eyesight that put them on. It's especially noticeable since it's in such close proximity to the crease above it.

Guy I work with had one for a few years. Other than that, never seen another.

mdmiller50

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic

Thanks for your response and the link to the Thunderbolt page. Looks like mine is almost fully optioned, other than the hoop spoiler, thank God. I even have the key fob.

mdmiller50

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Apparently, someone added that Thunderbolt decal. It's crooked. LOL!!

Or Ford had someone with bad eyesight that put them on. It's especially noticeable since it's in such close proximity to the crease above it.

Guy I work with had one for a few years. Other than that, never seen another.
The fender badges are exactly the same on both sides, believe it or not. Maybe they installed them on a Monday morning.....

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The fender badges are exactly the same on both sides, believe it or not. Maybe they installed them on a Monday morning.....
Or Friday afternoon.:icon_cheers:

levalexi

Reaction score
they definitely are rare. to my knowledge, this is the only single cab thunderbolt. ive looked everywhere. i took the skirts off and they arent modified. ive picked up a few brochures and they were offered in single cab. ive had people tell me its fake, but everything on this truck was correct for a lvl 1 thunderbolt. i know you could buy the kit from hillbanks, but they didnt come with the logos, or the seats. im going to order a marti report sometime soon to see if it has any numbers on production with the packages for thunderbolt. ive tried finding the original owner but ive had no luck. im the 3rd owner, so it shouldnt have been hard, but it is. my next lead is to track down the dealership that it was sold from and see if they can find me any records on when it was ordered.

Attachments

Cptchaos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
they definitely are rare. to my knowledge, this is the only single cab thunderbolt. ive looked everywhere. i took the skirts off and they arent modified. ive picked up a few brochures and they were offered in single cab. ive had people tell me its fake, but everything on this truck was correct for a lvl 1 thunderbolt. i know you could buy the kit from hillbanks, but they didnt come with the logos, or the seats. im going to order a marti report sometime soon to see if it has any numbers on production with the packages for thunderbolt. ive tried finding the original owner but ive had no luck. im the 3rd owner, so it shouldnt have been hard, but it is. my next lead is to track down the dealership that it was sold from and see if they can find me any records on when it was ordered.
Check for the SLP build sticker on the driver door post.

Cptchaos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Did you order a report for the Thunderbolt? I have a sold-in-Canada version and want to research the production numbers. Just wondering if you were happy with the data received.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals